Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisepomeroy

Backsplash: up to hood or ceiling?

lisepomeroy
9 years ago

We were planning on going up just to the exhaust hood with the BS, but are now considering going up to the ceiling.
Situation: blank wall except for hood and exhaust stack to ceiling. Lower cabinets on either side of the range. No back splash anywhere else, just paint under cabinets on adjoining wall. Neutral colours.
Opinions? Trends?
It has been a long time since our last kitchen reno.

Comments (10)

• ILoveCookie
    9 years ago

Personally I prefer to go up to the hood, because going up to the ceiling kind of reminds me of fully tiled bathrooms.. (running away now..)

• lisepomeroy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know what you mean, but it is only there, not everywhere, and isn't white subway.
    Only up to the hood may look like you ran out of tiles.

• kcorn
    9 years ago

I am not sure if this helps, but in our recently finished remodel, we chose to take the tile to the ceiling on the sink / range run. The portion under the hood stopped at the hood because it is cabinets all the way around that area. However, around the large window over the sink we took the tile to the ceiling. Although the window isn't painted in this picture and we don't have window treatments up yet, I love how it turned out. In the other areas of our kitchen, the tile is only between the cabinets and counter as the uppers have crown to the ceiling.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Our backsplash was just finished today so I'm excited to show it off. This is our second kitchen where we've had the tile go to the ceiling. I'm loving it.

New house, new kitchen

Old house, old kitchen

• amck2
    9 years ago

nhbaskets, your new backsplash is fabulous! I wasn't expecting to see it for some time because of the missing tile issue. Yeah!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Can't find a good photo but we took the tile all the way up. It really depends on the kitchen. Our ceiling are less than 8' high so that is a different situation then someone with a slanted or very tall ceilings.

• lisepomeroy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is pic that may help explain it. Still waiting for counter and sink. 95 year old house.

• Huntingflower
    9 years ago

I prefer to take it to the ceiling. I always think it looks strange to have tile just stop at the hood. Same goes with windows when people keep the tile the same as under the cabinets. It just doesn't look finished. Just my opinion though.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I find it strange when it goes right up to the ceiling. The idea is that it's supposed to protect a messy area from water and grease splashes.

What are you doing that you are getting food splashed on the wall 6' off the ground? Or did you just buy too much tile and had to use it up? :)

Also, speaking decoratively rather than practically, the backsplash is the jewelry of the kitchen. The pretty finishing accessory. And having too much of it can cross the line between a classy outfit, and tacky and overdone.

To each their own.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Taking tile up to the ceiling is called a Eurosplash. I love them in many situations. I've been planning that for a few years now in my kitchen......if I ever pick tile, that is. :) My ceilings are very short though.