Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Remodel questions

Posted by gav_sharma (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 13:15

I am installing a new IKEA kitchen and I just realized we forgot to buy a panel to cover the back of the island.

IKEA is 130 miles away and I was wondering if we can get creative and put backsplash instead of panel matching the cabinets at the back. We plan to have the counterheight overhang of 15" on the back side of the island which faces our family room. The island is made of one row of cabinets with thin cardboard backing at the back.

What are my options ? Can I even put backsplash on the thin piece of cardboard at the back ?

I have attached my kitchen plan here. Any creative suggestions are more than welcome !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Remodel questions

You have to attach tile backsplash to the proper substrate. Using tile, will probably more expensive in the long run than purchasing IKEA end panels though it can be done and is durable.

I used mosaic tiles on the back of IKEA cabinets to form this counter, but the tile was applied to a curved drywall and plywood substrate.

o

How about beadboard? I've seen that done on the backs of islands/peninsulas and it looks good.

o

Tile would definitely add interest.
I have a curved island and am having stone put on the outside. The kitchen guys are building a support to hold the material. Along the same lines, I would think with the weight of the tile, thinset, and grout, cardboard wont hold up. I would at least entertain plywood screwed onto the back. Good luck.

o

o

We have wainscotting on the back of our peninsula. Our cabinets are not painted though and the wainscotting matches the color of them. You could also just do drywall and paint it your wall color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here