Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Renovation - Right color countertops

Posted by mlgriffi (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 13:14

My wife and I are purchasing a fixer upper. The kitchen cabinets are currently light maple but my wife wants to repaint the cabinets white/or off white with dark glazing outline. We plan to re-stain the hardwood dark walnut. I'm currently in debate on what color granite to use for the countertops (including the island). We will be painting the walls light gray (almost taupe color) and the appliances will be stainless steel.

I was thinking about using Maroon Cahiba (Brown Antique) but read on this board that white cabinets and black/or too dark countertops is dated. I'm also worried that the dark walnut will take away from the brown antique countertops.

Any thoughts on what would be a good granite color match for the countertops? Open to hardware colors as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Renovation - Right color countertops

I don't have granite but if I were using it in a renovation with changes in cabinet color, paint, etc., I would make the granite purchase first and plan the rest of my color scheme around it.

Granite counter tops are beautiful and really become the highlight of a kitchen.

o

The answers will be quite different depending on if this is a flip, or you plan to live in it. If it's the former, then generic rules, and you want to avoid any too personal choices. "Current but personality-less" should be your goal. So far, your choices will fit with either category. It will be the granite, backsplash, and lighting that will make the difference in "Wow! Isn't that a great kitchen. They must love it, but I'm not sure I could live there." to "I can live with this until we decide to do something else. At least it's not 1970's harvest gold and avocado, even if it is 'so 2000's' "

o

We plan to live in it for a long time. I'm leaning on Maroon Cahiba with white cabinets but I'm wondering if the dark walnut will fade it out and if that color is too much of a contrast with the whit cabinets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here