Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Necessary to seal backsplash tile grout?

Posted by sjerin (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 13:13

I hadn't given it a thought but realize now I cook with turmeric and tomatoes quite a lot. I do remember Bill talking about a sealant that turned out to be quite toxic, or something, but hopefully it's off the market. Do most of you seal your backsplash grout?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Necessary to seal backsplash tile grout?

I would because I have children who do things like make blueberry raspberry smoothies and forget to put the lid on the blender!

o

We sealed ours when it was installed. We used water-based Aqua Gold(?) sealer; sold to us by Artistic Tile when we got our backsplash tile from them. It's what they recommended, so we wanted to use their preferred sealer.

We used a solvent based sealer elsewhere (bathrooms, FR floor...). Probably could have used that on our backsplash as well, but didn't get/use it until a few years after the kitchen reno.

o

Thank you both--that was quick! I think I'll ask the tiler to seal then. Cat Mom, do you feel the water-based sealer does the job ok? Any stains?

o

I do remember Bill talking about a sealant that turned out to be quite toxic, or something,

Not sure why that would be a problem -- presumably you are not eating many things that have been stuck to your backsplash....

o

I think it's okay. Over our Wolf range, just above the vent, we'll get some discoloration that takes some elbow grease to remove (especially after long or high heat oven cooking). Vented grease or something. Otherwise it seems to clean up pretty easily. I rarely splatter onto the backsplash while prepping or cooking, so it's not much of an issue. The counters and floors are another story! LOL

o

Depends on your backsplash material. Ceramics,porcelain I've never sealed the grout, especially with 1/8' joints. And certainly never sealed the tile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here