Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First glitch - need help with kitchen floor options please!

Posted by rmiriam (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 13:11

We started ripping out our kitchen yesterday - very exciting! However, part of the demo was ripping up the floor, which we were told was likely the same wood as in the rest of the house under the sheet vinyl. So I had planned to have my open floor plan have a continuous oak floor. However, turns out that the floor is actually pine, which I would also refinish if it wasn't covered in asbestos-laden tar. Having decided that spending a couple of weeks scraping up tar is not going to work out, So, I can have someone rip out the existing (very solid) pine subfloor and put in new oak. This will be expensive, and never a perfect match, but is the original plan

Alternatively, since I'm a little nervous about wood in a kitchen anyway, I could also do sheet Marmoleum. Problem with this plan is that my open space doesn't have a great cut-off point for the marmoleum to stop and the existing wood to start. I'd love opinions on whether either of these would work, assuming the carpet is marmoleum (other options also welcome!).

Option A is the most natural, but also leaves the refrigerator and broom closet sitting on wood, while the rest of the kitchen has Marmo:

Option B encompases the whole kitchen. Unfortunately, the Marmo then intrudes on the dining area, creating a kind of psychological barrier and making diners feel more like they're "in" the kitchen:

Thanks in advance to everyone for weighing in. This has really thrown me for a loop!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First glitch - need help with kitchen floor options please!

Miriam, if it were my home, to answer your question I would do plan A with a material such as cork or other, linoleum, whatever, that blended very quietly with the wood floors so the space wasn't all broken up. Plan B makes the dining area look like an afterthought, a cramped one, and I suspect would look like that in person too.

You didn't ask, but since you're ripping out, I'll go ahead and say that my own first priority would be to compact the kitchen so it didn't take up so much house space. You have lots of work space on the island, for instance, and also lots of counter space on the L. I cook from scratch daily and could do very nicely with half.

Enjoy your remodel.

o

How about including the fridge and broom closet and then a diagonal from the corner of the broom closet to the inner corner of the island?

o

Rosie, I generally agree about small kitchens - my last house had a tiny galley that was very functional. But it's a small house, and this is actually a pretty small kitchen. Since we generally have people hanging out in the kitchen, I feel comfortable with it taking up a significant portion of the formal public living area (the kids have an additional "den" in the back).

Sena01, that is a great idea. Much better than either of my plans!

o

If you have the funds to refinish the existing oak along with the new oak in the kitchen, I'd do the wood floor throughout. We added a couple of rooms of new oak floors to existing oak floors and the match was perfect.

o

If you don't match the wood floors, I would do option A. The island creates a discreet natural boundary for it.

o

Option A with cork.

o

too small to do anything but wood throughout...even if it is slightly off...but as another mentionned, it won't be that far off....

o

I would consider splurging in order to lay wood flooring in the kitchen. Depending upon the existing oak flooring an experienced installer should be able to get a great match. As a previous poster mentioned I would refinish the existing floor while the new floor is being finished. Having the same floor throughout you space will create a natural flow.

This post was edited by SaltLife631 on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 8:48

o

IMHO the only option is to go for the wood. Otherwise I'd fear it would always look like you didn't have room for a fridge in your kitchen.

o

I think wood throughout is the only good option. I was nervous about wood in the kitchen, too, but I like it so much better than the vinyl or tile I've had in the past.

o

IMO, if you won't use a rug under the dining table, having different flooring for the kitchen would be better.

photo differentflooringdiffusednorug.jpg

Otherwise, I think your dining room would look more like an eat-in kitchen.

photo differentflooringsameusednorug.jpg

Shape could be something like this.

photo differentflooringdiffusednorugdoll.jpg

With rug, I think both can work.

photo differentflooringsameusedwithrug.jpg

photo differentflooringdiffusedwithrug.jpg

o

Why are there two living areas? I think that having the one living area as the dining room and just having a small seating area "in" the kitchen where you've got the dining table would be the best option here. It would allow the dining table to have the room it needed and not feel so crowded. And one single floor would be the best option.

o

Why are there two living areas? I think that having the one living area as the dining room and just having a small seating area "in" the kitchen where you've got the dining table would be the best option here. It would allow the dining table to have the room it needed and not feel so crowded. And one single floor would be the best option.

o

First, the "tar" -- adhesive-- very likely does not contain asbestos although according to some sources it might. You can have it tested to be sure, if you haven't already. If you are sure it doesn't have asbestos, it does sand off fairly easily.

Secondly, I found out (quite by accident) that DIF wallpaper remover loosens this adhesive to the point that it can be scraped off pretty easily with a wide putty knife. (oddly enough, adhesive remover didn't loosen it at all!) Once the paste was removed, the wood sanded nicely.

This is what I did, and it really didn't take long.

I did find that most of the flooring contractors that I called out took one look and told me it couldn't be done, or only at a huge price, or wouldn't be worth the effort. However, I kept calling around, and did find a couple of companies that had dealt with this before and weren't frightened by the job. But, in the end I saved money by doing the scraping first (which allowed me to be sure there were no more nails or staples in the floor) then renting the sander.

So, if you would really like to salvage that floor, try the DIF and call around to find another flooring contractor.

o

Thank you so much, everyone! Continuing the wood is definitely my first choice, if it's not prohibitively expensive. Raee, I hope you're right. I have a sample in for asbestos testing, and if it doesn't have any, I'll try the DIF first thing.

Meanwhile, thanks to Sena01's great renderings, I feel like I have some good options if wood doesn't end up being possible. I really appreciate those. I knew you all would have better ideas than me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here