Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on Removal of Coffee Stain on Granite

Posted by karenfromknoxville (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 13:10

Hi,

I just wanted to pass along my experience with coffee stain removal on Granite and Carrera Marble. Bottom line....no problem at all and very easy to do!!!

I had some left over pieces of Carrera Marble and my granite (Golden Queen) which I thought I'd experiment on first before trying to remove the stain on the kitchen counter. I spilled some coffe and put some used coffee grinds on the marble and left it on there for 2 weeks. Although it absorbed into the marble, it came out without a problem. When I spilled coffee on the granite, I left it on there for at least 6 hours. It never absorbed into the stone and I could just wipe it off. Which is amazing to me because that piece of granite was never sealed! Which causes me to wonder if what I think is a stain on my kitchen counter is in fact a stain (that granite was sealed!).

After I asked here for advice on how to remove a stain (many thanks to karencon and Buehl) and consulted some stone sites, I used Maurizio Bertoli's formula for coffee stain removal. The recipe I used to remove the stain was a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (from a beauty supply store) and baby powder. I mixed it (in a small glass jar) to peanutbutter consistency and put the paste on (with a metal spoon) over the stain. I did this outside and left the tile outside to dry because it is very hot here. Within 8 hours, I scraped the dried paste off and the stain was gone.

It was so easy I was surprised by the results. I don't know if most people are as scared as I am of doing something stupid that will damage the beauty of their stone, but I was pleasantly surprised that this experiment turned out so well without any harm to my stone.

Thanks for listening (reading) and hopefully my experience will help someone else!

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on Removal of Coffee Stain on Granite

Great news Karen. Just an aside for others. In the begining when water would be absorbed by the granite I would wonder if it was a stain. But in time it simply dried out. With a porous type granite that can happen and does especially around the sink.

o
RE: Update on Removal of Coffee Stain on Granite

Glad everything worked out for you. These forums will miss Maurizio, he was a generous and courteous contributor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here