Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenfromknoxville

Update on Removal of Coffee Stain on Granite

karenfromknoxville
15 years ago

Hi,

I just wanted to pass along my experience with coffee stain removal on Granite and Carrera Marble. Bottom line....no problem at all and very easy to do!!!

I had some left over pieces of Carrera Marble and my granite (Golden Queen) which I thought I'd experiment on first before trying to remove the stain on the kitchen counter. I spilled some coffe and put some used coffee grinds on the marble and left it on there for 2 weeks. Although it absorbed into the marble, it came out without a problem. When I spilled coffee on the granite, I left it on there for at least 6 hours. It never absorbed into the stone and I could just wipe it off. Which is amazing to me because that piece of granite was never sealed! Which causes me to wonder if what I think is a stain on my kitchen counter is in fact a stain (that granite was sealed!).

After I asked here for advice on how to remove a stain (many thanks to karencon and Buehl) and consulted some stone sites, I used Maurizio Bertoli's formula for coffee stain removal. The recipe I used to remove the stain was a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (from a beauty supply store) and baby powder. I mixed it (in a small glass jar) to peanutbutter consistency and put the paste on (with a metal spoon) over the stain. I did this outside and left the tile outside to dry because it is very hot here. Within 8 hours, I scraped the dried paste off and the stain was gone.

It was so easy I was surprised by the results. I don't know if most people are as scared as I am of doing something stupid that will damage the beauty of their stone, but I was pleasantly surprised that this experiment turned out so well without any harm to my stone.

Thanks for listening (reading) and hopefully my experience will help someone else!

Karen

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH