Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slush1422

Finally finished installing Arabesque BS pics w/Quartzite

slush1422
11 years ago

We are finally finished with our backsplash...well wait not quite. Isn't that always the way? We have to caulk and seal the grout but since hubby works all week - that's another project for next weekend.

I'm definitely not a professional photographer so the photos aren't the greatest. But here is our kitchen. After 18 months of work! I really want a friend to come take photos for our final "reveal" so those will come in the future.

Any suggestions for a window treatment? It doesn't really have to "close" because our RV is blocking anyone from seeing in the kitchen (it's the side of the house). I'm torn on colors. I have accents of turquoise and red in the kitchen and in the living room, the walls are the BM Revere Pewter with pillows and accents of yellow so I wouldn't mind bringing yellow into the kitchen as well. I'm thinking some kind of Roman Shade?

Thanks again for everyone's help on GW and a special shout out to Beekeeperswife! You're kindness and willingness to share is amazing.

Starting the first wall:

From Beveled Arabesque Backsplash install

We mixed small batches at a time. It was definitely way harder than we thought to grout. I ended up using my fingers to clear out the grout in-between the tiles after DH slapped the grout on.

Left side with grout and right without:

First wall done:

I have my decor up for halloween so usually there is not purple in the kitchen.

You can see my "bats" on the left wall with the Menu chalkboard:

Comments (25)

• Tamko3
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks beautiful! My preference is for clean lines -- like a roman or straight blind. Tami

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I am in love with your kitchen! I can't believe you and your husband and his talented friend renovated your kitchen yourself. It is so beautiful! I love the cabinets, the crown molding, the counters, the floors, the island and that gorgeous Arabesque Backsplash that I am now thinking I may want to use. Do you have a link where it was purchased at?

For your window treatment, how about Sheer Horizontal Comfortex Blinds in either Champagne or one of their many whites. I used Champagne for my family room but I have BM Bone White walls so you may want their Snow color or one of their colors.

If you keep them closed, they allow privacy but still allow light to come in and are beautiful and elegant and not as costly as the Hunter Douglas ones. They are not as nice as the Hunter Douglas ones but they can be bought online at half price and it cost me half price to buy them and have them installed by a place about 1 hour from here. But your husband is handy so he can install them.

You can even get them in a gray color if you wish to add a little color to your room. This way you can turn them sideways for more light or raise them totally to have total light entering the room.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

STUNNING!!!!!!!

Will you come decorate my house for Halloween--with purple and black, too?!?!?!?! :-)

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!

• angel411
    11 years ago

Just beautiful! You must be so proud- 18 months, wow!

I vote for no window treatment since you say you don't really need it.

• Artichokey
    11 years ago

Your kitchen looks absolutely gorgeous! And I think the purple accents are lovely and match quite well. Of course, I never complain about purple. :)

The one thought that occurred to me about window treatments when I read your post: your RV is blocking anyone from seeing into the window, so as long as the RV is there, you don't need a treatment that covers the window - but when the RV isn't there, that's exactly when you'd want the window covered (assuming that when the RV is gone, you're away for a few days). Maybe a tension bar between the cabinets would work to hold a "closing" treatment when you're away, but wouldn't get in the way on a daily basis?

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

*sigh*

I just love those tiles.

Glad to help, I'm so happy that it went smoothly for you. The grouting was a bit tricky, but it is so worth it.

• slush1422
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all! I was thinking a window treatment would bring in some color to the kitchen. Maybe I can do something like a no-sew faux Roman Shade and put up with tension rods? Like here: http://evolutionofstyleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/no-sew-all-faux-roman-shade.html

It was Bee! For some reason the piping bag didn't work at all for us so DH just slapped on the grout with the paddle, and I went behind him taking all the extra grout out with my fingers. Which destroyed my nails and my hands are SO dry today. But it was worth it and worked out well once we got into a groove.

These tiles look familiar?! http://www.bhg.com/kitchen/color-schemes/neutrals/white-kitchens-we-love/#page=2

• tea4all
    11 years ago

So beautiful! You made lovely choices. Congratulations on a job done superbly!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Slush1422, What color grout did you use and brand? Are you sealing the grout? The grout color is perfect with the tile in my opinion for the look I love.

If you want some color in the kitchen, I do like the Roman Shade idea.

Your kitchen is so gorgeous! I appreciate you for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

no-sew faux Roman Shade and put up with tension rods link below so people can just click it.....

Here is a link that might be useful: No-Sew Faux Roman Shade

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

White neutral kitchens, many with similar Arabesque tiles Link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: White neutral kitchens, many with similar Arabesque tiles Link

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Just beautiful.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Simply beautiful! And you can be doubly proud of it because you did it yourself. I love everything about it and I am not a white kitchen person by nature. Congratulations and Enjoy!

• slush1422
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cat Mom - all my decor is from either Target, Home Goods, or Michaels - the purple glitter Halloween glam decor is everywhere :) I love it way better than the "spooky ghoulish". Especially since I have little ones and they are not frightened of my decorations. I'm even hosting a Bunch Night for the girls with a "Glam-o-Ween theme in a couple weeks. Can't wait to put my kitchen to good use!

• slush1422
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure why it duplicated my post or how to delete it?

Lynn2006 - Thanks to beekeeperswife's tips, we used Latricrete's Perma Color in bright white. We had to get it at a local tile store since they don't carry it at Lowes or HD. One bag was $17 on special :) We barely had enough, but mainly because we wasted a bunch in the beginning trying to figure out the best way to grout.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Ooh--I'll have to hit those stores! And where/when is that glam-o-ween gathering? LOL

Thanks!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS! wonderful choice!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Wow, that is absolutely beautiful. Love the backsplash, and those gorgeous counters!! Congrats on your beautiful new space.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous. I'll say it again, your dh is an artist.

• momo7
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous and that tile is equally gorgeous. Your corner is perfection - what a fantastic job!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Slush-absolutely amazing! Beautiful. My first thought was roman shades also. I can't believe this was a DIY!
    Want to hear about your cooking adventures in this gorgeous kitchen!

• slush1422
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again everyone!

Lynn2006 I forgot to post the link for the tile. I purchased mine through Mission Stone Tile (after winning a $300 GC in a FB/Pinterest contest).

I found it at this place also but am not sure it's exactly the same. http://gstile.com/products/product/beveled_arabesque_tile/arabesque_white

Here is a link that might be useful: Beveled Arabesque Tiles

• finestra
    11 years ago

Looks great! Love it. Enjoy!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Thank you Slush1422 for the link! I love your kitchen so much!