Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

What's The Best Product & Source For Lining Drawers & Cabinets?

amck2
9 years ago

It's been a while since I've had to line new drawers & cabs. Interested to know your favorites. Looking for easy application & washable. Thanks -

Comments (27)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

The best is a melamine interior so that you won't need liner.

• plllog
    9 years ago

A long time Kitchens Forum favorite is Cushy Cupboards. If you do a search, you'll find all kinds of threads about it. I've used regular liner paper, contact, the in between kind that's easier to wipe off but isn't stuck down yet stays in place, Life Liner (which is really really hard to clean thoroughly), and some kind of almost rubbery stuff. And cork (see below). Cushy Cupboards wins by a landslide.

I was skeptical, and did some in cork in my new kitchen, especially where it would be seen, for dishes and pots. After 4-5 years, the cork isn't holding up well, and from the get go it was obviously not as functional. At some point it'll be changed for Cushy Cupboards.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this company. I'm not a shill. I'm just a passionate convert.

Unless you live in Orange County, California, or a couple other places where they actually have this stuff in stores, it's best to order it. There's a contact link on the page I linked above. Shipping charges are best for a whole box rather than a small roll. (I.e., low vs. are you kidding?) I don't have an samples left, but you could ask the Forum.

So, you wonder, why is it worth all the fuss? What it is, is thick, foamlike, smooth, white stuff, that is a lot like some packing materials but denser and stiffer. The amazing part comes when some can develops a pinhole and drips all over your pantry. Cleanup takes longer for the other jars to dry than to clean the liner. Lift out the CC, carry to sink, clean with hot water and soap and set on edge to dry. SO easy!

In drawers, things don't shift during open and close, but they're easy to slide if you push them. It's perfect under glasses with delicate rims.

GreenDesigns is right. If you have plastic or vinyl bonded to your shelves/drawers, you don't need CC, except maybe to prevent sliding and guard your glass's rims. Textured sheet vinyl is even better than melamine against the sliding. But a trick CC can do that melamine or vinyl can't is act as a mini roll-out. I have a corner upper where the salad spinner is kept on the top shelf. I don't use it a lot. When I do, I don't want to have to swing off a ladder to get it. I can reach the CC, so I pull it out halfway, and bop the spinner from underneath so it drops in my hands. LOVE it!

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, pllog. I remember reading about Cushy Cupboards when we did our lake kitchen 7 yrs ago. I ended up going with a brand of roll-out covering from Home Depot that is pretty good, but has nooks & crannies that traps things like coffee grounds and tea leaves.

I hadn't read anything here recently on the subject. Good to know the Cushy Cupboards have held up well. Will check them out.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Here's a link to a recent discussion of Cushy Cupboards.

Errant, can you scrub the foam underlayment? I am not familiar with that although I have seen you recommend it before. I keep meaning to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent discussion of Cushy Cupboards

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

-->It seems to be nothing more than the basic foam underlayment that gets used under laminate flooring, but at a much higher price.

I laughed when I read that. Since I live only a few minutes from one of the stores that sells Cushy Cupboards, after reading about the stuff on GW, I checked it out. My thoughts upon viewing the stuff was "looks like flooring padding".

• function_first
    9 years ago

I have tried many products the were touted here with much success and satisfaction. Cushy Cupboards was not one of them. Even when weighed down with heavy stuff (e.g. Trays of silverware) it slid around in drawers (the silverware drawer was the worst) and bunched up. Once bunched it never goes flat again. I dunno- maybe you're supposed to use a dab of caulking with it or something. After paying over $50 for a double roll (before shipping) was pretty disappointed. I am now back to using Duck brand liner which is cushy enough and stays in place. I ended up cutting up the Cushy Cupboards roll and used it to provide cushion between nested stoneware pieces. Works fine for that.-- not surprising since it's basically a packing peanut. Also works fine on a stationary cabinet, but so do cheaper products.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I have been happy with IKEA liner. If you have an IKEA nearby it's cheap and it has worked fine for me.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Bells, I think it's the exact same stuff. Next time you're in a big box store, go take a look in the flooring section. Take a look at the cheapest underlayment they sell and let me know what you think.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I use a cushy cupboard look a like from Lowes.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

I'm very happy with the Rationell liners from IKEA. They keep the pots and pans in place and contain small spills in the pantry too. They are very sturdy and can be cleaned easily.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Two comments:

1. Wow, the price. No thanks.

2. Apparently one of the positives is that this stuff doesn't have "nooks and crannies". I LIKE "nooks and crannies". I can't exactly say why, but I thought they were a positive.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I bought a roll of clear plastic liner at Costco. It's similar to IKEA's Rationell liner but sturdier (and stays flat).

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

3 years into the remodel without any lining product and wondering why one might be needed...?

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

I'm with oldbat. I've never used a liner and really don't see the need. What am I missing?

• renosarefun
    9 years ago

nhbaskets

The old kitchen had lots of scratches, exposed wood where the finish was worn off by plated rubbing, banging, sliding on the exposed wood with no protection. I guess members want to protect the new exposed wood inside the cabinets?

As for the liners at Costco, are they the clear ribbed ones that come in about a 18" wide roll of about 15'? I think I saw them for around $11.00 per roll?

• plllog
    9 years ago

I'm surprised by Kris Ma's experience. Perhaps it wasn't cut to fit? It doesn't need to be glued, but I would think that the Cushy Cupboards wouldn't work well if it weren't fitted to the drawer or shelf. Some people leave a big margin with paper. Part of the point is that the dirt stays on the liner, but if the liner doesn't go edge to edge, that won't be happening.

Interesting about the floor stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same product. It must be the same as some kind of product--they certainly couldn't be selling enough as CC to manufacture it for the purpose. An advantage is that they have some of the cuts done for you, but if the floor liner will work the same way, and you have a big island or cutting table to lay it out on, why not? Certainly nice to save some money.

MrsPete, if you live someplace very humid where it's hard to get your items hard dry, then nooks and crannies could be very useful for letting the air circulate. If that's not an issue, and there's no similar one, nooks and crannies are where dust and gunk accumulate. No matter what I did, I could never get Life Liners 100% clean between the ridges. Spring cleaning was a nightmare. YMMV.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Re the question of why I use liners - Primarily, because my mother always did, I suppose ;)

But I am less concerned about having them in the dish & glasses cabs than in the pots & pans drawers and where food/condiments/spices/coffee & tea are stored. I don't want DH scraping the cast iron skillets on the new finish of the drawers when he does weekend breakfasts. I've had instances when a bottle of red food coloring, Gravy Master or Tabasco sauce have not been tightly closed and toppled in the back of a cupboard while I was hunting for something else during the rush of holiday cooking & not discovered it right away.

Pretty much it's the same reason I wear an apron every time I cook. When I wear one I never get a spill or splatter on it, but if I don't, that's when I discover a stain on my clothing.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

where food/condiments/spices/coffee & tea are stored

That's why I love my melamine lined cabinets and powder-coated steel drawer boxes! In fact, I ordered a Hafele pull-out condiment rack specifically because it is melamine, not wood. Everything leaks - I don't know how closed bottles of oil can leak, but they do - so every once in awhile, I just take everything out and wipe it all down.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

@renosarefun: Yes, those are the Costco liners.

And as to why? I guess I'm a slob: My spice/honey/vinegar shelves get dirty with spills, rings, etc. Ditto food coloring.

I also use the Costco liners in my fridge, especially since last time I removed my tempered shelf, it exploded when I touched it with a lukewarm sponge while sitting on my counter top. Now I just take the liner out, wash it and put it back in.

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

We bought a bunch of the Ikea liners ... and as stated earlier in the thread ... THEY DON'T STAY FLAT. Even after almost 2 months - still curling at the edges. Ugh.

• crl_
    9 years ago

For the IKEA liner, if it is curling up, turn it upside down.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

I recently bought two kinds of liners from Lowes. (to make my old cabinets look less worn out! One was the clear liner that is ribbed and it seems very sturdy. Put it in my silverware drawer, and pots and pans drawer, etc. I also got maybe a Rubbermaid product that is printed and kind of cushy. I put it in less heavy duty areas - my towel drawer, under spices etc. I was surprised to read that you can wash it in the washing machine if it gets dirty. wow.
    Here is my tip though. I have always cut liners by just showing the stuff in there, creasing it where it meets the wall then cutting it with scissors Surrpisingly time consuming, and not very perfect. This time I measured my drawers and cut it with my rotary cutter and mat and rulers I used for quilting. It was so quick and easy and fits perfectly. Even the ribbed clear plastic cut with ease. Now I want to do my bathrooms too.

• emma
    9 years ago

I like the contact paper, but I do not peel off the back and stick it down. I just cut it to fit and lay in the drawer. I do not like the rubbery stuff because I can't slide my sorting trays in the drawers. I use trays for silverware, knives, etc and in the bathroom for small things, like combs, make up and tooth brushes. I lay a wash cloth in one section of the tray for my tooth brushes and paste, then fold the wash cloth over the brushes to keep them clean.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 6:07

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Errant,
    If you see this--

I looked at the 25 cents/square foot underlayment at Home Depot. It has similarities but is much different. Thinner, looser, with a different outer "skin."
    By comparison, Cushy Cupboards costs about $1.25/sq.ft, in the 20' rolls, five times as much, and is thicker and denser. I will check out Lowe's and maybe a flooring store when I am next near one. Interesting challenge. I agree with Plllog that it is probably a commercial product of some sort or another that CC repackages.

Anyway, CC is still my fav shelf liner by far and worth its price tag.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That's good to know, Bells! It would be disappointing to know they were selling the same stuff at such an inflated price.

Musicteacher, I use my rotary cutter and mat to cut mine, too. It's quick and makes for a perfect fit :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I turned the IKEA liner around, but it still didn't lie flat. Instead of curling up, it made a little "tent." Don't have the problem with the Costco liner.