Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcl_homefree

anyone out there have asterix granite counters

pcl-homefree
9 years ago

I am in the process of choosing granite for my kitchen counters. I LOVE ASTERIX and believe it will look great in my house.
I have heard that the installers HATE this one and Cosmus. Awful to work with.
I would like to hear from those who have it in your house.
Any problems? Are you happy with it?
The company is coming to measure for template today.
But I have time to choose different granite. HELP!!

Comments (12)

• tea4all
    9 years ago

We are in the planning stage for our reno so do not have that beautiful stone. When I searched google for it, I found the older GW thread about it that is linked below-- or at least I am trying to link it below. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old GW thread on asterix

• pcl-homefree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you tea4all, I have checked out the old GW thread and am seeing mixed reviews. However those people who have it are still enjoying it. The thread is from 2009 which means the Asterix has been around for 5yrs for sure, they are still selling it for kitchens sooooo ....... that says something do you think??
    I am new to GW and am so impressed with it. I plan to renovate my basement next and will use GW A LOT!! :)

• rpets
    9 years ago

Just had Black Cosmic granite in a leathered finish installed in my kitchen but we are still in the process of our reno so I haven't lived with it... but I can tell you- it is GORGEOUS!!! It looks very much like soapstone. I did not have any issues whatsoever with the fabricator - why is it such a problem?

• pcl-homefree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AWESOME!! I loved Kosmus too but couldn't get it in the leathered finish. The Asterix is just as lovely.
    The complaint of the fabricators is that because the rock is a schist (google granite schist) the metallic parts flake away making the rock difficult to cut. They have had to use fillers where the rock flakes ...... so more work.
    This is the short explanation there is a lot more to it technically.
    Thanks for responding, I am encouraged by the fact that it was installed with no hiccups and that its GORGEOUS!!!
    Did you use it for backsplash also or have you installed a separate backsplash with small tiles.
    Any photos of the countertop?

• Yael_d
    9 years ago

I don't have Asterix but I considered it... never heard of it being a problem. I ended up with Black Forest instead - sort of similar but without the possible rust tones - and it is gorgeous!

• rpets
    9 years ago

Just had Black Cosmic granite in a leathered finish installed in my kitchen but we are still in the process of our reno so I haven't lived with it... but I can tell you- it is GORGEOUS!!! It looks very much like soapstone. I did not have any issues whatsoever with the fabricator - why is it such a problem?

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Yes, it's a schist. The metallic-looking bits are mica minerals. which form in a flat, flake-like shape. In a metamorphic rock, which this is, all the mica flakes align so they point in the same direction. This creates planes of weakness where the minerals naturally flake apart. This is particularly true on corners and edges, and is even more true if the natural grain of the rock is parallel with the edge.

If you wanted to use it as a backsplash, where no edges are exposed, I bet it would be fine once installed.

That said, I have zero experience with this actual rock - I'm just offering an explanation for why it can be a problem. Usually if the fabricators are shying away from it there's a good reason to proceed with caution.

• pcl-homefree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I plan to speak to the granite dealer and confirm that the person doing the cutting has experience with schist rock.
    Thank you Karin_mt I will proceed with much caution. Very sound advice.

To Yael_d The black forest slab is very attractive, however,It wouldn't work for my kitchen, the dark brown tones and rich rust opalite in the Asteric is ideal. I have searched for a (non schist) rock that would resemble it and haven't succeeded.
    I am going to have that talk with my granite dealer and be certain that he has an experienced fabricator lined up for my contract. Only after that assurance shall I proceed.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

It's a huge PIA to fabricate, and the edges WILL get knicks and abrasions once installed. A scrap piece can be crumbled with your hands. It's a poor choice for anythig but a show kitchen.

• sahmmy_gw
    9 years ago

Yael_d - I just wanted to say that I have never seen Black Forest granite before your pic, and it is stunning. I hope you will post your kitchen when it is finished.

• pcl-homefree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thought I would update this conversation:
    The Asterix granite has been installed and it is FANTABULOUS !!
    Now I am looking for backsplash which will compliment it.
    Any suggestions?

• kate_e_harper
    5 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else checks this out, we installed Asterix Granite. Yes, the guys preparing it said it was a pain to work with - and we only just got the piece we needed for our Island because of a fissure.... but they also said it was one of the most beautiful pieces of stone they had ever worked with and I am so pleased we took the plunge. It doesn't give a perfectly smooth finish. There are so many minerals in it that the finish is a bit textured - but that actually makes it easier to clean and it never looks like it needs a polish. We've lived with ours for nearly a year and I wouldn't have anything else. Everyone who sees it admires it. It's like a piece of jewellery and it dances in the light. I can't recommend enough for the wow factor.