Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missyv_gw

ATTN Farmers Daughter

MIssyV
12 years ago

You posted a beautiful picture of your concrete counter top, can you tell us about it? How did you make it, was it easy or hard, etc. Give us all the details :)

Comments (14)

• frmrsdghtr
    12 years ago

Sure... I can give you some details. You are referring to this post.

"This is clearly out of the norm, but we are almost finished with our $1000 DIY mini makeover in our kitchen (i know right? $1000? :D) and my hubby did a concrete overlay on our existing formica countertop. I helped him with the artistic part (staining) and for a couple of hundred bucks I got a brand new look. Love it!"

This was my kitchen before. (We aren't done yet! :)

My hubby is working so I can't give too many details because I'm not sure what is all involved. I do know this -
    he had to clean and scuff the surface really well. It was a special mix of concrete. It was two layers, with drying time in between, he says he should have done three but I was extremely impatient and thought it looked fine :D. All the coloring is concrete stain. We used various things like feathers, sponges, brushes etc to get the look we wanted. The surface was grinded, sealed, and polished. The whole process took at least several days. He said he'd be much faster next time. :)

However, I would not consider this an average DIY project. My hubby has extensive experience with concrete - he has a concrete business (patios and curbing). He's considering doing countertops during the winter months. He's done just a couple of them but never an overlay. I get all his experiments :). Sealers and finishes have come a long way even in the last couple of years. It's the under-educated installers and old products that often give concrete a bad rap. Here's one he did in a basement bathroom/kitchen a few months ago:

Sorry this got so long! Hope that answers a few questions!

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wow! thanks for replying. does hubby travel? :) you are correct, this sounds like it is for an experienced diy'er

• frmrsdghtr
    12 years ago

if you live in West MI let me know :-) He's trying to build up a portfolio, so you could get a great deal!!

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

frmrsdghtr, Wow, that is outstanding. We just finished a DIY kitchen and my DH mentioned concrete counters and I nixed the idea. If your DH posts these pictures in his portfolio he will have customers lining up. Truely, I am beyond impressed. Bravo to you both!

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree, make a portfolio with these pics and he will get some winter work. What a great winter job for Michigan folk!

It just so happens that we live in NW Ohio :)

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. If you get a chance, can you please ask what kind of concrete? It's beautiful!

• mudworm
    12 years ago

I didn't realize that this threads was about the same countertop that had my jaw dropped. eriepatch directed me here from the other thread.

frmrsdghtr, I'm quite interested in learning how your hubby and you did the process. Is the second layer mainly to provide the very fine/dense surface? How does it bond with the bottom layer? Hope you and your hubby can find the time to educate us a bit. :)

• frmrsdghtr
    12 years ago

The first layer is the bonding, the second layer is to get a smooth, dense look and it bonds by using special cements and polymers. My DH bought some training info, recipes, etc from an online mom and pop business - Something Better Company - www.betterpaths.com. Most of their work is not my style but apparently they do have good info. Hope that helps.

• hozahome
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness. How beautiful. If you ever decide to vacation is South Florida, I would be willing to help with the building of the portfolio. I have Formica counter tops and am hopeful to one day have concrete. Your work is spectacular.

• editionk
    12 years ago

Hi Farmers Daughter - is there a way I can contact you off the board about a possible project?

I have emails turned on so if you go to my page you can write me through the link there so you don't have to post your contact info here.

• laylapalmer
    12 years ago

Oh my! Your counters are absolutely FANTASTIC!!! :-D
    Would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to talk with you about them via email if you have the time!

Layla Palmer
    TheLetteredCottage.net

• GirlBobVila
    11 years ago

Hi frmrsdghtr. I love your countertops too and would love to make one. I think I have understood from another website how to create the concrete overlay. But can you give more details about how you created the faux marble staining? Thanks so much.

• JanieBee83
    11 years ago

Farmers Daughter,
    I came across this post searching for info on concrete overlay countertops as a possibility for my kitchen remodel that will probably be coming in the next 2 to 3 years. I am actually in the West/Central MI area. Is your husband still interested in doing countertops? I would want to make sure that I would hire someone with experience to handle this transformation in my kitchen and I would be interested in finding out more from you. I actually just signed up on this site so I could contact you, so I don't really know how we would go about exchanging info. Please, give us an update on whether your husband has done anything more in the concrete countertop business and is interested in jobs in and around your area.
    Thanks!

• mmwhan
    6 years ago

Love the countertop I know this is an older post but we are in southwest MI and wondering if husband ever started business or not interested in doing our counter tops like this! Thanks