Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

What's in your glass front cabinets?

crl_
11 years ago

I love the look of glass front doors for some of the upper cabinets, but I am not super organized and am worried that they would just show a jumbled mess. If you have glass front upper cabinets, what do you keep in them? How do they work for you?

Anyone done rice paper or similar to create a translucent rather than transparent effect?

Thank you so much for any input!

Comments (22)

• blfenton
    11 years ago

No pics, but I have two complete plain glass fronted cabinets that house my glassware and stemware. My upper stacked glass cabinets hold some pottery that I collect.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I have all white dishes, and clear glasses. Very simple, and they look nice in there. I also stick some silver pieces in here and there.

• marthavila
    11 years ago

Every day dishes, bowls,cups and glasses on the lower shelves
    Large, decorative, mixing and serving bowls and decorative large cookie jars on the upper shelves.

The objects are mainly white, black and clear glass -- However the decorative objectives are a different matter and I have strategically placed them to show pops of color.

• taggie
    11 years ago

We have our everyday dishes, clear glasses, and wine glasses. I was always one who shied away from the thought of glass cabs, thinking they'd be hard to keep uncluttered looking, but it turned out to be a complete non-issue.

You should go for it.

Colored dishware is often white on the edge, so look at your current pattern and it may look like a nice clean white even if the pattern if wildly colored. In the close up below you see the dishes are yellow patterned, but when stacked in the cabinet they just show white. I mention that since I hadn't realized it myself until we were done. Had just assumed that patterned dishes would look goofy and was pleasantly surprised when I realized they were okay as is.

Good luck, and post pics when you're done!

• lala girl
    11 years ago

Just like the others have said - everything we have is white or clear glass. White plastic bowls are stuck in there with china and glass, and because it is monochromatic it all just goes together. Anything colored (like all of our football game cups) has to go below in drawers - keeps me disciplined!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Mostly glasses with a few decorative pieces. We used a light seed glass

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

I bookmarked the link below as I consider glass for upper cabinets. Bendheim Cabinet Glass (no affiliation). Maybe it will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I knew I couldnt reach anything easily there so mine were designed with display only in mind. The glass on the front was salvaged shimmer glass from the old house (built in 1790). The doors are separate from the regular doors to protect the old glass from frequent opening and shutting.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I don't have a pic, but GF went with a glass front door behind which she stores her wedding china which is used infrequently but lends a lovely color to that corner of her kitchen.

• MuleHouse
    11 years ago

If I thought it would become messy behind the glass I'd choose an opaque glass to begin with. I've had doorless upper cabinets in 2 houses and it's amazingly easy to keep things organized. Now I have wood cabinetry and behind the doors it kind of a jumble. I think with glass in your cabinets you will automatically keep it tidy.

• crl_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, and especially for the beautiful pictures!

Catherine

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

My dish hutch has water glass doors. I keep everyday stuff here (plates, bowls, glasses, coffee cups, and wine glasses) and a couple of small decorative pieces on the top shelf that's hard to reach.

I am OCD about many things and figured I would spend hours lining up all the items to ensure their constant conformity to straight lines and distance to each other. Turns out, its not much extra work. At this point I'm the one who unloads the DE into the cab. The organizational quality could change as the little ones get older and help more.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I also put water glass uppers in my DR beverage service area. Storage is for booze, wine glasses, crystal, champagne glasses, cordial glasses, and martinis.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

We have Reeded glass which we ran vertically. Cherry cabinets, and the interior is finished the same as the exterior. We have all of our stemware in that cabinet. You can see a glimpse of it in this pic ...

• MizLizzie
    11 years ago

How lovely to see how everyone has arranged their glassware. Thanks for sharing. I think I'm a lot like the OP, and thinking about a little translucence. Just not sure I'm tidy enough. Does anyone have reeded or translucent glass with decorative mullions? I was looking at the double arched light mullions from Contestoga, but I am not sure I am as bold as you ladies. Would just a little translucence look odd with serious mullions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Conestoga's mullion offerings

• angela12345
    11 years ago

I chose no mullions because I would have wanted my shelves lined up even with the mullions and I didn't want to be locked into that layout. I felt it would not look as nice if the shelves were off from the mullions.

• kitchenaddict
    11 years ago

hi crl...

I don't have to be a super organized or neat because I only keep a few pretty pieces and my everyday dishes and glasses in my glass cabinets....These items seem to easily stay "neat" without too much effort IMHO...

KA:)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Sorry, my pet peeve is muntins which is the wood between panes of glass, not mullions which is the wood between windows.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I'm going to put everything behind glass--dinnerware, mixing bowls, baking powder, sugar, the whole lot. It's a kitchen.

The only things I don't like seeing are prepared food boxes blazoned with hideous closeups of food on spoons labeled "serving suggestions." Those go in the pantry.

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

First, sorry for the humungous photos
    Second, beagles.... omg, so beautiful!

Mine glass cabinets are a little different than the others, more utilitarian
    this one is coming down in favor of open shelving with iron brackets

• crl_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So many lovely pictures! Thank you for sharing and for the input!