Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenottawa

new kitchen for selling our house

jenottawa
10 years ago

Hello. We have been planning on putting in an ikea kitchen for nearly a year and now the time has come. The only problem is that fairly recently we have decided that we may want to relocate in no more than 2 years.

We still have to do the kitchen (it is in rough shape and also partly dismantled), however I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on ways to save money over our original plans. We are doing all the work ourselves, so laminate counter and materials included we are hoping for no more than $6000 for the kitchen. Here is a summary of things that interested us in a kitchen for OURSELVES. Does anyone have any feedback on what we can take out to save $ on?

-39" upper cabs to the ceiling versus 30" cabs

-drawer banks in all or most of the lower cabs

-double sink versus single large sink

-laminate countertop (others are not in our budget)

-we do not use a microwave at all. When we designed the kitchen for ourselves, we did not include one! Should we put one in?

-We had planned on a kitchen that was Ikea Adel wood color on the lower cabs and white with glass on the upper cabs. Should we just go all white for resale? We do not like the white styles as much, but would be willing to be flexible on this. Our floors are birch, no stain.

-Should we spend the $ on the glass doors for upper cabs? It is only 3 x 18" doors actually as it is a small kitchen with mostly a pantry and lower cabs/island.

Thanks very much for your feedback!

Comments (7)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Look at your real estate comps. What kind of kitchens do they have?

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Hi Jenottawa,

If I were you, I'd base my decisions on current comps in your area. I'd see how my house stacked up and base the kitchen on that. If I needed my kitchen to lure buyers away from the comp, then I might put a little more money into it, otherwise, I wouldn't.

In my area, when an appraisal is done, they don't really care if you have glass cabinets or not, 1 basin or two, etc, etc. I think there are 3 grades they give the kitchen, and I doubt it makes a huge difference in the appraisal value. It'll add appeal to your house, and some value. So just try to have a functional floorplan, and try not to overspend or underspend for homes in your area. I know that you said only laminate countertop is in the budget, but if comps in your area have natural stone, I'd look into remnants or some other option.

I personally don't like microwaves, but I think most buyers do. If you don't have a hood to vent out, I'd consider having a microwave with vent abouve the stove. Otherwise, I'd have a tall cabinet somewhere that future owners could stick the microwave into if they wanted one, and then you wouldn't have to have one.

This post was edited by magsnj on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 13:23

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It's hard to say because it also depends on how much of difference in price it would make. So here's my take:

-39" upper cabs to the ceiling versus 30" cabs (definitely leave in)

-drawer banks in all or most of the lower cabs (nice to have but maybe won't recoup extra expense)

-double sink versus single large sink (depends on personal taste; I'd actually much prefer a very large single bowl)

-laminate countertop (others are not in our budget) (maybe use wood counters instead)

-we do not use a microwave at all. When we designed the kitchen for ourselves, we did not include one! Should we put one in? (most people would appreciate a shelf or dedicated space for MW)

-We had planned on a kitchen that was Ikea Adel wood color on the lower cabs and white with glass on the upper cabs. Should we just go all white for resale? We do not like the white styles as much, but would be willing to be flexible on this. Our floors are birch, no stain. (Again, I love white cabinets, but IKEA's white seems a bit plasticky to me; others would much prefer the ADEL wood)

-Should we spend the $ on the glass doors for upper cabs? It is only 3 x 18" doors actually as it is a small kitchen with mostly a pantry and lower cabs/island. I like glass doors, which may make the kitchen more spacious. However, make sure you have enough space for storing non-pretty items)

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

As others have said, it depends on your neighborhood. I would have a MW place. I'd also do granite. St Celia is nice and not too expensive.

My neighbors are young, and they bought the house from a flipper. The kitchen, wood floors (3" laminates), redone bathrooms is what sold them.

• jenottawa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much to everyone for all the feedback! It is very much appreciated.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Glass doors would turn me off. My things just aren't that display-worthy. I wouldn't spend the extra money there, since it's such a personal preference.

I would rather see you invest in drawers - and make sure your realtor recognizes the increased functionality, to use it as a selling point.

As a buyer, I would be much more likely to replace a laminate if I didn't like it, than pay more for something else if the house didn't warrant the upgrade. Of course if no houses in your area sell with laminate, then you don't have much choice.

In our new kitchen, I got a little MW with a rounded back, so it fits in a corner, and hardly takes up any space at all.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

You might want to spend some time this weekend checking out the open houses that are your theoretical competitors. There's nothing like actually looking at the market.

I would also skip the glass, but keep the drawers (you'll be using them for a year or two!). I would also make a place for the microwave. Because you have a small kitchen, the most logical place to put it is over the stove. I know, I know, I don't love that placement either, but that's where ours is again because there just isn't anywhere else except the counter and that's not happening. Actually, when the time comes, could you put a MW on the counter without looking like you've used up all the work space?