Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

What would you put over this sink?

barbcollins
13 years ago

Here is a pic of our planned kitchen. The cabinets we are installing our second hand, so I don't have anything to put over the sink. I am not sure how that orphaned cabinet over the dishwasher will look.

I will be using this mosaic tile for the backsplash. I plan on tiling the whole wall between the counter and the cabinets.

I found this pendant light like this on the clearance rack for $5. It will be hung over the sink:

Here are my questions:

1. If I tile the backsplash behind the sink, how far up should I go?

2. Do I need to do something to join the cabinets (shelves, plate rack etc)?

3. If I do put shelves there, how should I hang the pendant light. If front of the shelves or below them?

4. Would it be better to do a full backsplash on the oven side of the "L" and then cut the mosaics and just do a 4" or so backsplash on the sink side?

Comments (23)

• User
    13 years ago

I would join the cabinets with shelving and add under-shelf lighting to light up the sink.

Skip the pendant if you use shelving.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I like the idea of shelves connecting the upper cabinets. The light would have to be hung in front of the cabs since they wouldn't be that deep anyway. (no deeper then 12" I would think) I would run the BS up to the bottom of the upper cabs all the way around.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

If you are concerned at all that the shelving would be "in your face" at the sink...you could run the tile over the sink all the way up to the top of the cabinets and link the cabinets visually that way. You could do a feature area similar to those seen over ranges.

Mock up the shelving. Some people are more comfortable with open space above the sink, some people don't mind the shelving or a cabinet there.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

I am leaning towards putting shelves up there. Since the space is going to be 36" it should not be hard to find stock shelving.

No I don't want "in your face" at the sink, so I will either start them higher than the bottom of the cabinets or get them a little narrower than that cabinets.

As for doing a feature area, yes I thought about that but I not sure I am that good yet. I thought about doing a niche but I still would not be sure out to stop it a the top.

• phoggie
    13 years ago

We are in the process of drawing up plans for a new build.
    I, like you, will not be able to have a window above my sink, but I am going to put in a set of cabinets like over your stove. If they are not "in your face" over the stove, why would they be more so over the sink? Then I plan to put in some type of "decorative" tile work......like some on here have done over their stoves. My cook top will be in my 10 foot island.
    I am anxious to see what you decide....and as others have mentioned, a shelf would be okay, but I want cabinet room.

• alwayssunshine
    13 years ago

I think a plate rack would be great! Just my 2 cents, but very functional there, and would join the cabinets nicely, you could find it stock at 36 inches. They keep your plates from getting nicked up and free up cabinet space. Good luck, the mock up looks great!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I have had cabinets straight across both sinks at either 18" or 24", so I don't have a problem with the cabinet being right there--I don't feel they are in my face. But some people like more open space above the sink, thats the only reason I suggested mocking it up.

• kevinw1
    13 years ago

I'd go for a plate rack too, a *functional* one that would drip dry plates (or large pots) over the sink. But then, I don't use a dishwasher and wash everything by hand, so to me it would be very useful. YMMV.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Once again...warning...my idea is way to the left. Have you thought of putting a fake window there. You can get a second hand window, place a scene on a poster behind it and even place shutters or curtains on the window. You can also set it up so it is back-lit. Here is an example.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I'd tile all the way up with something reflective: glass tile, mirror, extra glossy or metallic. Then I'd put narrow glass shelves from cabinet to cabinet in front of the tiles, and put decorative glass bottles and objects on them. That way there would be depth, shine, color and something to look at (i.e., the categories you get with a window).

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, yeah. Great pendant, but I'd put it elsewhere and use a ceiling mounted fixture over all the glass. :)

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another idea...

I could use the 15" high cabinet that is intended for over the fridge. Would it look funny to have nothing over the fridge?

This is what it would look like with shelves. I did the top one at 12" and the two bottom ones with 10".

Here is with the Pendant:

• rosie
    13 years ago

Assuming storage were not already inadequate, I believe I'd remove all upper cabinets from that wall. Since I'm short, only the 2 bottom shelves behind the 3 doors would be of use, and only stuff reachable at the front on the second one. Then I'd have the fun of deciding how to decorate that whole empty wall. In my case, probably a new place to display new art picked up as we travel (little pieces my favorite souvenirs).

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

I think the shelves or the fridge cabinet would work just fine. If you use the fridge cabinet, you could always do a cute wine rack in a black over the fridge. The shelves are nice because you could add some fun pottery or accessories to add some color. I would consider adding another shelf to line up with the bottom of the cabinets. It looks a little off to me.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Is there any way you could do all recessed cabinetry on the sink wall like this?

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/ideas/?action=view&current=recessedcabinets.jpg"; target="_blank">

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Is there any way you could do all recessed cabinetry on the sink wall like this?"

No. This is a "load bearing wall". The best I could do there is a niche in between the studs. I don't want to plan on that, because it is high unlikely the studs would be centered over that sink.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I'd do the shelves, but take away the top one.
    The fake window idea also has merit and you could consider backing it with a mirror if you don't want a scene.
    If you did shorter cabs up there, I'd make them have glass fronts to help it be less in your face.

I still think having 2 shelves up there is the way to go. I am putting chrome train/hotel style shelves over my sink. Our everyday dishes and cup will be on the shelves themselves. I can hang the dishtowel, potholders or serving spoons on "S" rings from the bottom. That could also work for coffee mugs or anything that can be hung. I will figure that part once we are moved back in to the kitchen.

If you leave the wall empty, I'd do a tile feature there rather than over the stove since it looks like a vent or OTR micro will block up that space some. You could do a smaller version by the stove...

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

I would use the cabinet from over the refrigerator over the sink. Reason is because those shallow cabinets over refrigerators are just about useless. I had one & there was always something on top of the refrigerator that was in the way of opening the doors---doors that I couldn't reach anyway. Years would go by w/o me looking into that cabinet--to the point that I no longer could remember what was in it.

Alternatively, you could build a deeper cabinet for over the refrig & use the face frame & doors from the shallow cabinet on the new deeper cab. That way, you still have the option of doing something fun & funky over the sink.

BTW, it is possible to do a niche over the sink even though it's a load bearing wall. Approach it like you would if you were installing a window or a new doorway using a header to carry the load. I doubt if it's worth the effort though because you can live quite comfortably w/ some narrowish shelves over the sink if you decide on that option.

• isletwoisle
    13 years ago

In your proposed new options, I like the linear look of the top shelf that's lined up with the top of the cabinets (keeping the cabinets over the fridge). Then your whole room has one consistent top height (including the door frame on the sink wall). Looks very clean/nice lines, and if the pendant will provide enough light for working at the sink, I think that version features the pendant nicely.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"BTW, it is possible to do a niche over the sink even though it's a load bearing wall. Approach it like you would if you were installing a window or a new doorway using a header to carry the load."

Yes, that's true but in this case I think it is too much. When the PO built the stairs, they cut into the supporting beam. DH is already going to have to be doing a lot of structural work on that wall. I'm pushing my luck to ask for another opening/header; especially for a niche :)

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Three things.

First, another vote for shelves. Personally, I would run the cabinets on the range wall back but blank the corner. Then run the shelves at different widths across the entire wall.

What's wrong with what's shown in the drawing ... What is sold in the store as a 12" board is actually 11-1/4 inches. It will not meet up with the front of the cabinet. Even if you get matching shelves from the cabinet company, the premade ones are sized to fit inside the cabinet. The shelves can't be supported by drilling into the side wall of the cabinet - you'll need to add some other support (brackets or cleats) and possibly some pieces to stiffen the shelves. Its not adjustable so you really have to spend some time figuring out spacing in advance. If you do open shelves, how will you stop the tile? Won't the pendant be over your head instead of the sink?

Those are some of the reasons why you might choose to get an open or closed cabinet instead and add undercabinet lighting. Or do what plllog suggested.

Second, if you want a cabinet over the ref to complete the look, price a full depth cabinet or see if hubby will agree to box it out so the front edge of the cabinet is even with the front of the refrigerator body. Maybe add a ref side panel for a true built-in look.

Three, that corner cabinet might have an issue with having the deeper range right beside it. It's door or drawer might not be able to open. One of those susan types where the door swings into the cabinet would avoid some of it. Its always possible I'm misinterpreting the drawing, but you might want to check that out.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for everybody's comments.

Yes, I am going to go with the shelves. I will probably use decorative brackets. Not too worried about the 11-1/4 inches. I'll probably pull the top on out the edge and add a piece of molding to hide the back opening. I think the pendant will line up with the middle of the sink. I'll make a final decision on the lighting once that cabinets are in. DH is my electrician so I have flexibility.

Not worried about the corner cabinets. This is how the PO corner cabinet and stove was set up.

I don't want to get more cabinets because these were custom made, so they will be hard and expensive to match.

Last question is about stopping the tile. Assuming it would not get in the way of the brackets, should I continue it up behind the shelves or stop it at the bottom shelf?

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

If you tile all the way up, that will compensate somewhat for the relative smaller depth of the shelves vs. the cabinets.