Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nehome

Help Me Decide - Narrow Kitchen Island

nehome
10 years ago

I've attached a picture of my kitchen with a mock island set up. The kitchen is narrow at 138". I've been pondering various layouts for months and had posted a plan on GW. The feedback included don't plan on having seating at the island and that the island was too close to the table. The island has now been designed with no seating at the end that is across from the fridge wall and 3 stools at the other end. We have also turned the table. I don't have copies of the current plans to post and I am finding it difficult to decide based on the paper plan anyway. I'm hoping this mock island set up will help me decide how it all "feels" and get some input from you all.

Here is what will change from the current kitchen - fridge will stay on that wall but push down in place of the pantry cab. The clearance from the corner of the fridge to the corner of the island will be 42". There will be 12" cabs on the rest of that wall with a 37" aisle clearance to the island (no seating). There are three stools at the other end of the island with a 49 1/2" clearance. The aisle on the sink side is 36" which seems to be fine for me. I need to decide:

1. Do I like coming into the kitchen directly into the island? Does this look good from the foyer? I have been used to a more open floor plan with the peninsula but the peninsula does not get used for prep or eating. I did receive positive feedback last time from others who had a narrow kitchen with an island who felt the kitchen was more open than with a peninsula. Not sure if my entrance from the foyer makes a difference.

2. Assuming the island makes sense, I need to decide on the range location:

Plan A - keep the range where it is so all appliances are outside of the island area. A "hutch" style cabinet with glass doors and an appliance garage located at the end where the peninsula is to balance the "heaviness" of all appliances at the other end.

PROS - keeps the triangle with easy access to fridge, water, range, the pretty glass hutch will be in view from the front door/foyer

CONS - no room for a lazy susan and end up with a narrow counter and cab as I have now

Plan B - move the range to the sink wall where the peninsula currently is so the island functions more of a prep space and the distribution of appliances is more balanced. There will be additional counter/cabinetry next to the range so it is not at the end of the cabinet run. "Hutch" style cabs with glass doors and appliance garage move to where the range is.

PROS - balances the kitchen better, island behind range provides additional prep space

CONS - may make that area of the kitchen too congested when entertaining with people at the island and me at the range, the range will be in view of the front door

What is the feedback? I have additional photos if it helps.

(don't know why photo is turned?)

Comments (27)

• nehome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is better

• nehome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle

• ellendi
    10 years ago

My vote would be not to do it.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

your kitchen is pretty much like mine. I have 6' between the walls, and KD said not enough space for an island. You could extend the peninsula.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Think of it this way - you have 11.5 feet of space to work with. -2 feet on one side for sink run, -1 foot on the other side for your 1 foot depth pantry. -7 feet for minimum walkways on either side of your island (3.3 feet on either side, plus counter overhang). The minimum walkway to your fridge probably isn't a great idea because that looks like a major pathway through your house. But anyway, assuming you go with the minimum, that leaves you 1.5 feet depth for an island with no seating whatsoever. I can't see that being useful. To add seating you need to add room for the chairs to be pulled back, which means at least a 44" aisle if you don't anticipate needing to get into the pantry when people are seated (remember right now you're only working with 40"). You also get no storage on the island because it is being used entirely for knee space for your stools. And the narrow depth of only 18" makes it impractical for prep.

Could you work on your peninsula to make it more useful for prep and more attractive for seating, for example, a deeper overhang, more comfortable stools, maybe a prep sink, maybe move the fridge actually closer to the peninsula so it's a natural landing spot for stuff from the fridge? Maybe add an undercounter microwave and some pendant lighting?

If you position the fridge a bit farther from the peninsula, you have room for a 5.5 foot peninsula, which would give generous seating for two or semi-ok seating for 3.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

My kitchen is about same width and I concluded that island won't fit. Would you consider moving/removing interior walls? We were able to fit an island in our space by removing part of a wall.

Here's the original layout

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

And here's how I was able to fit an island. Notice that I removed a section of the wall between the kitchen and the stairs to create an island from a peninsula.

BTW, I agree with Robot that the island isn't a beat all end all and that the peninsula could be just as good.

• nehome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to clarify the fridge gets pushed down and the island does not extend down as far as the fridge so that space is all open. It is a counter depth fridge but doesn't fit under the cabinets right now but it will sit back further. The island begins at about the dishwasher. There is no seating at the end of the island that is opposite the 12" cabinets, which will be were the desk is now. The first stool is about where the entry from the foyer is and that is a 49 1/2" clearance.

I think the reason the peninsula has never been used much is because our table had previously been turned the other direction and its awkward to gather along that counter. Someone gets trapped in that back corner against the wall. It might be better with the table now turned but some people sit at the table and then anyone at the peninsula has their back to them. As far as prep space it is too far away from the range and fridge. An island just seems to attract hanging around it.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

Do you have another dining table in the house? We had two dining tables and decided to get rid of one and give that space to the kitchen - might you consider that?

• nehome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GauchoGordo1993

Unfortunately the fridge wall is a stairwell. One of the GCs proposed cantilevering the sink wall out 2' for a minimal cost. This sounds like a great idea but the other GC felt it was a major job at major cost - the two were about $15K different with their estimates for the bump out. I'm a little afraid of what we could be getting myself into with the bump out for a project that started with just new appliances. We ultimately decided to totally update but its been a struggle coming up with a layout.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I see. How about the wall opposite the stairwell door - what's behind that?

• nehome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You mean to the left of the kitchen table - that is our dining room. There are similar homes in our neighborhood that have opened up the entry into the dining room and run their island down that end of the kitchen in place of a kitchen table. One kitchen has an L shaped island. The other kitchen has counters/cabinets the full length of the kitchen with the island running toward the dining room direction with a wide opening. I really don't want to give up my kitchen table though. I can see having quick meals at the island but don't want to give up sitting down at the table. The dining room doesn't really lend itself to that. I can't see having weekday dinners in there.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I see. I'm an informal guy, so I've never really cared for separate formal & informal living/dining spaces, but I appreciate that others feel differently. Anyhow, in that case I don't think you can fit an island. But again, I think the peninsula could be modified to provide what you want.

• Karen Lee
    5 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/gauchogordo1993 I am looking for how to fit an island in my narrow kitchen and saw your comments where your layout looks very similar to what I am facing and the solution I am considering. How do you like it and do you have any pics you can share with me? TIA

• nehome
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Karen - we had to postpone our renovation by several years and coincidentally we are a couple of weeks away from completion! We did include a narrow island despite opinions on this forum not to. I don't have pics yet but here are some images from software I used to play with the layout and clearances before I met with several kitchen designers. We had a peninsula that cut the kitchen in half and did not provide a center gathering spot provided by an island. The angle of the view is a little deceiving as the island begins at the dishwasher. The "triangle" from fridge to sink to range is totally open. We also created a window seat in order to push our table toward the wall and further away from the island. The seating nook is created with bookcases on either side of the bench. We have the same clearance between island and table that we had with the peninsula except the chair at the end of the table and the stool at the end of the island are now not back to back. The aisle on the sink side is 35" but my prep area is all to the left of the sink. I used Fisher&Paykel Dishdrawers that provide plenty of space to walk behind if open and can easily be pushed in if needed to scoot by - much easier than a typical dishwasher door. On the fridge side of the island, there is a 13" depth one piece "hutch". There is 38" between the hutch and island for about a 24" length before the aisle opens up to about 51-52". We'll have backless stools on each side of the island and one on the end - only deep enough so all stools can be pushed in under the island. Let me know if there is any other info that you need. My kitchen is 137.5" and the Island is 26". I also used inset cabinetry to gain a few 1/2"s with smaller counter overhangs. Haven't lived in it yet but I think the Island will provide more function than my peninsula!

• Hansen
    5 years ago

Here is an idea

• Karen Lee
    5 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/nehome Thanks! I am not good with the measurements and how to interpret the overall measurement but your kitchen looks wider than mine. My kitchen when we moved in was 11x15 and I took out a pantry on the 11' side that theoretically would give me 4' more but because of support beams they say can't be moved, I only gained 2' so that puts me at like 13' x15' I think I will make a mock up in the space and see how it feels maybe a couple saw horses with a board to give me a feel.

I am also thinking of putting an island in my breakfast nook that is at the end of the kitchen (not included in that 15' measurement) but never seen it done and I have scoured the pictures everywhere. I bake a ton and entertain so I HAVE to have an island. I watched too much HGTV when we bought the house, it had multiple offers and we had lost many previously so I just assumed I could find a way to make it work. Now not so sure :(

Thanks for the images!

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

I'd be very much interested in seeing pictures once your kitchen is done. Mine is almost identical and I'm not sure whether to get rid of the peninsula and have a small island, or extend the peninsula on the long wall and get rid of my breakfast nook.

• Amanda Abbott
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@nehome did you finish your kitchen? Could you please post some photos? We also have a long and very narrow kitchen as well and I am wondering what you did about the island.?

• nehome
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Amanda

I am glad to post some pics to help you with your layout. My kitchen is 138" (11.5') wide x 319" (26.5') long. I love my island in place of the peninsula. I did some very careful planning given the narrow width and my kitchen functions so much better! The old peninsula cut the room in half between the "working" side and the "eating" side. Since not many people could hang around the island, guests tended to hang in my triangle space with spillover into the eating space. There was no central place to gather around and everyone was under foot. Now guests hang at the island end with the stools or at the table and there is no reason to be in my prep space. I found perfect stools and ended up using 5 that push in under the island. The island is only used by multiple people for dining when we have a big crowd and 5 can sit comfortably. Some things that were key to making this layout work for me.

* The island begins outside of the "triangle" - so from fridge to range to sink is totally open.

* The clearance from island to sink counter is 35". I used a Fisher & Paykel 2 Drawer dishwasher. When fully open there is still 16" of clearance to the island, the drawer can easily be pushed in with a touch (if more space is needed to scoot by) and there is no door to trip over. A standard drop down door DW would have been tricky in this space. This DW is also so easy to load and unload with no bending so I no longer dread empting the DW.

* The Micro is a Bosch flush drawer. Also easy to open as far as needed even if someone is nearby. A swing door micro would not have worked here.

* I used drawers for lower cabs behind the island. So much easier to access and do not require the same space required to open a door or the bending to access. I can access items even when someone is at the island.

* I created a cozy window seat because of the aesthetics and it allowed the table to be pushed further away from the island. Guests can sit at the end of the island and at the end of the table.

* We hung a TV with SONOS which means we use the kitchen more for entertaining when there is a game on and my husband and I are comfortable watching the news during meals rather than on TV trays in the family room. (My children are grown)

Some of these pics were taken while prepping for Easter 1 day after the kitchen was finished so there is still blue tape for dings to be repaired. I added a few more to give you a better view of the window seat.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• Amanda Abbott
    3 years ago

@nehome THANK YOU so much for your response! YES, we have the eXACT same kitchen..problems and all, except where your bookcase is at the end of the kitchen we have an exterior door (that we love)..I love the idea of the dishwasher drawer. Did you also do narrow cabinets on sink wall?

A couple of questions for you...How far from foyer door is the island? I am wondering how I woudl feel about walking into the island.

How long is your island and what amount of workspace do you have in your island before the "seating" area in it begins? (I would consider making this window higher to accomodate seat)

Oh and how much space between back edge of island and breakfast table?

We are waiting on plans from 2 different KD and although I love the thought of a massive island, it would require us to walk ALL the way around. And we would do the same work area as you did with it open from fridge, range and sink.

I'll attach a photo and it will look famliar to you ;) The doorway on left is to front of house/foyer.

• Teresa Drum
    last year

Do you happen to have a full picture of your fridge wall? I’m closely looking at your design for our awkward space.

• ikmsrd23
    last year

Thanks for inspiration. We have a slightly different layout and I try to fit a narrower island and after reading this forum thought “no way” but now I see it can work

• nehome
    Original Author
    last year

Hi I'm glad to be able to help! This is the fridge wall which is about 107". The pantry cabinet is narrow (15") but works for us with now only 3 adults. We also renovated a laundry room down the hall to the right with space for a future family to add pantry cabinets.

The picture seems to distort the view but the open space in front of the fridge is 65" (distance from the counter and oven on the right and the walnut island on the left.) We love having the island. As I've said previously, the appliances I chose were key to making the narrow aisles work!

• HU-918119203
    last year

Great kitchen! Two questions:

1. What kind of wood counter is on the island?

2. Do you find the window seat comfortable? Do you choose to sit on the bench vs a chair? I have considered a similar solution in my space but I have found that these are often not that comfortable, either because the bench is too narrow, there isn't enough back support, or the cushions/pillows slide around.

• nehome
    Original Author
    last year

The Island Counter is Black Walnut. I preferred consistent coloring so we requested minimal sapwood and the wood was stained.

I find the bench comfortable although it was my intent to add a 3" cushion which I didn't get around to before moving on with other house renovations. We're a family of short females and tall skinny men so everyone can slide in and out comfortably. I also intend to replace the table with a trestle style so the legs aren't in the way as much sliding in and out. The back is at an angle so is comfortable when relaxing back on the pillows. The back pillows don't move too much but would stay in place better with a cushion. The bench also allows us to easily squeeze more people at the table when we have company.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz