Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simoneb_gw

Granite in Brooklyn / Queens???

simoneb
15 years ago

Hi all,

My husband and I are going to try and pick out granite this weekend. Any recs for a good/not to expensive place in Brooklyn or Queens. We live in Manhattan, but prices seem to be better in the outer boroughs...

Thanks!!!

Comments (10)

• beccamj
    15 years ago

I'm getting mine through Mondial Tile in Brooklyn. They have a good selection but I didn't fall in love with anything. Then, I found something I liked elsewhere, phoned them, and they got it for me. Decent prices too.

I think it was Charlikin who recommended another place in Brooklyn and they were OK but pricier. I can't remember the name... I'll see if I can dig it up.

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

We're getting ours from a place on 19st&2ave in Bklyn. You do need a car to get there since it's a hike from the train.

• simoneb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sophie_blue: Do you know the name of the place that's on 19th street in Brooklyn?

Also, do you guys know if you have to buy a whole slab of certain granites? I called one place and they told me that if I wanted something like Virginia Mist I would have to buy the whole slab, which is twice the amount of granite of what I need...

• simoneb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also, do you mind sharing what type of granite you picked and about how much they are charging you?

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

I think the place is called Marble City but you can't miss it on 19st. We're still deciding on the exact slab but the stuff I like is in $40-55 range plus they charge for cutouts and install.

• simoneb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi again Sophie -- thanks for the info. I've heard of a place called Marble City, so I will look into it. $40-$55 is very reasonable from the research I've done. What granite did you choose?

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Brooklyn's 19th Street, west of 4th Avenue, has several stone yards. By all means, if you're going there, be sure to check out European Granite and Marble at 145 19th Street. When last I checked (about 2 years ago), they had the largest, most diverse selection of granite and marble slabs I had seen anywhere in the City -- and I had visited more than a dozen yards throughout the boroughs! However, at that time, they were only doing business as a wholesaler. Basically, this meant that they didn't do direct retail sales and you could only place orders through your own fabricator. I don't know whether that is still the case or not. But even so, the visit is so worth it, just from the standpoint of being able to view such a huge selection of stones in one place.

HTH

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

Martha is correct, there are a few places on 19st but I haven't visited all of them and can't personally speak about their prices. Also, if you're willing to go to Jersey, my friends were happy with a place in South Plainfield. They website is marble.com and the prices are pretty good.

• simoneb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip on 19th street -- very much appreciated. It would be nice to hit a few stoneyards at once -- even if it's just to get a better feel of what is out there!

• simoneb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone else??? Trying to make a plan for the weekend :-)