Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cessnabmw

Paint Touch Up Issue

cessnabmw
12 years ago

We moved into a brand new home a few months ago. The builder's kitchen manufacturer provided small bottles of touch up paint for the cabinet.

Last week we had an incident of a scratch on the cabinet. The white bottle of touch-up paint had all dried up and was powdery. The espresso one seemed ok.

Used the espresso one for a touch-up as that was the one with a scratch.

The colour from the touch-up provided is not identical to the cabinet colour and we now have marks of the lighter coloured paint!! So mad!

Tried contacting the builder and KM and they don't care to respond to help at all!

Now... what can we do? How do we get this fixed and how can we get more touch-up paint?

Here is a pic of the kitchen.

I will post a pick of the touched-up area later when I get home.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (12)

• marcydc
    12 years ago

I don't know, but I really like your backsplash and how it ties in with the floor and granite! Nice not to see the ubiquitous white subway with the white cabs!

• cessnabmw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you marcydc

Here's a pic of the issue:

• frmrsdghtr
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure if you take a door to the paint store they can match it very, very closely and make you new paint. Also, did you make sure your paint was mixed up really well? It seems like you don't have too many options. Love your kitchen!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Perhaps faxing the builder the warranty that came with your new house would get his attention. The manufacturer should certainly be able to send you another bottle of paint.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

That's more of an application issue than a matching issue. It needs to be mixed thoroughly first then applied with an artist's brush and a little finesse. Small paint bottles are difficult to mix. Mechanical shaking methods are more thourough than people powered ones, but small touchup bottles won't fit into a mechanical paint shaker. You should be shaking it for around 5-6 minutes, constantly moving. You should only be applying the paint in the scratch itself, and barely feathering it out by drybrushing. No blobs. That shouldn't be cured yet, so see if you can't wash it off and start over.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

I agree with the one who said take a door to a paint store and have them color match the cabinets. They can get pretty close.

BUT... LOVE your backsplash!! Can you post more close up pictures with your countertop? Do you know what tile was used?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I agree about going to the paint store.
    I just want to add that your floor's border is wonderful and I love how the bs and the floor don't match, but do complement each other perfectly. What a nice touch ;)

• cessnabmw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

More pics as requested.... Where should I create a new thread to show my kitchen and all the details?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• juniork
    12 years ago

I am stunned. Seriously, a kitchen to be proud of. I normally am more of a subway tile person, not a glass backsplash, but yours is drop dead elegantly gorgeous. Congrats! Oh, and good luck with the paint/stain matching.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous, but you really should create a separate thread for the reveal. I think a lot of folks may miss it in this one.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

WOW! WOW! WOW! Love it!!! Thank you for the pictures!!!

Yes, start a new thread titled "Drop Dead Gorgeous Kitchen w/Awesome Backsplash", or something like that ;-) And PLEASE give us the details... cabinets, paint color, stain, BACKSPLASH, appliances, etc.!!!

• clvransom
    12 years ago

Beautiful backsplash!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!