Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sink Wall Cabinet Design

Posted by donaleen (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 12:46

Now that the island project is behind us, I've started designing the cabinets for the sink wall. That is the next phase of our twenty year kitchen project.

I just use Excel to create my design. Here is where I am so far... the windows already exist. I didn't capture all the detail. The sink will be a Kohler Whitehaven 36" tall apron.

The cabinet designs below the sink and on the top upper cabinets is a decorative cutout. The lower upper cabinets have glass doors. The base cabinets will include pullout cutting/working surfaces for me (because I am short).

The base cabinet on the left goes into a blind corner. The upper cabinets will be just like the pair on the left wall. The base cabinet on that wall will have a bank of four drawers, probably all equal in size.

The doors will all be flush doors. The drawers will lap over the face frame by 3/8".

The blind corner will use a modified version of ArlosMom's Costco blind corner. Modified in that the section directly behind the door will have a removable pullout.

Under the sink I also want pullouts like these.

under farm sink pullout

There will be a back splash part way up (probably tile). The one thing I like about our current tile is the red line that goes across. I plan to have a line in my tile as well because I like the way it looks.

I am still hoping the counter top will be glass. Thick green glass that looks like it has bubbles in it (thanks to whoever pointed me at ThinkGlass). I want LED lights underneath to make it glow. I am hoping that the price of glass countertops will come down and the experience to install them will increase by the time we are ready to go.

John, my DH will build all the cabinets. He will make construction drawings from my design drawings. His drawings will include every detail.

Our kitchen window looks like this (you can also see the line of red tile:

kitchen window

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sink Wall Cabinet Design

Well my links didn't work so...I will try again on the pull out and the window.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen window

o

Oh, I love that pullout! Will have to show DH later, he'll be thrilled, I'm sure ;-)

Your design is beautiful. I remember your post when you finished the island. I love your kitchen.

o

Thanks, starinasgarden. I am pretty excited about it.

o

I simplified my sink wall cabinet. It turns out that my DH and I both thought the other one wanted stacked doors for uppers when neither of us wanted them. Whew!

My DH is finally working on the construction drawings and right now he is off buying wood to build them. Ahhhh...

o

Is the pull-out for trash or just recycling? If for trash, I wouldn't want the cut-outs. Also, when I think about how many times I open my trash pull-out while preparing a meal, I wouldn't want to pull 36 inches of roll-out every time.

o

Not for trash, though trash is what we use the least here.
Portland recycles all food, all plant material, most paper, most metal, all glass, most plastic. Trash is some plastic, some food containers and not a lot else. Perhaps we should put trash there!

It would be for paper/metal and glass. And maybe some cleaning items... depends on how we divide it up. I imagine some cleaning items at the front so you wouldn't have to pull it out very far unless you are emptying the recycling containers once a week or so.

It never stinks under our sink so I don't think that cutouts will be an issue. But thanks for thinking about it.

o

I like the cut-outs. Just wouldn't want them with trash.

Ah, Portland. I'm in the less-enlightened western 'burbs, where we cling to our garbage and bad restaurants. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here