Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newcastlemom

Do we 'build in' the fridge? Aggghhh-please help me decide.

newcastlemom
13 years ago

I love all the wisdom on this forum and oh man I could really use your help. My cabinet maker needs to finalize the cabinet design for above the fridge. I'm planning half vertical storage & half pullout. I have a big Samsung, so this cabinet will be 28in deep x 19in tall. It will stick out 16 in past the cabinets on the left and the right. I thought I didn't want the fridge to have that "built in" look with cabinet panels covering the sides. I like the look of our fridge sides and that also means I'd get another 3 inches width of storage in my cabinet run. But will that look goofy, a big ol' box sitting up there without side panels on the fridge to anchor it? Is everyone doing the built-in look now? Anyone have photos that could help me visualize this? Thanks in advance for weighing in; you guys are great.

Comments (11)

• stacys
    13 years ago

Why would you lose 3"? Our cabinet panels are 3/4" thick and that is all the space you would lose on either side, so 1.5".

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Why will you lose 3"? My end panels are only 3/4" thick...b/w the two of them, I only "lost" 1-1/2".

As to how it will look, is the refrigerator against a wall of any kind? If so, it might provide an "anchor", but the other side won't be "anchored".

Personally, I would do the built-in b/c I think a kitchen looks more "finished". If you're having a cabinet over it, I don't know if I'd like that much cabinet depth to be just sticking out past the cabinets on the sides w/no connection to the floor or at least counter below.

Have you considered getting 15" deep upper cabinets on that wall run? That would reduce the difference to 13" and increase your upper storage by quite a bit (it's surprising how much more fits w/just that add'l 3")

I have 26" deep end panels that are 14" deeper and I don't think it looks bad...I think it looks better.

However, if you really like the look of your refrigerator sides (I assume they're the same "color" and finish as the front...many are not) and you don't mind seeing the cabinet over the refrigerator sticking out into the air, then go ahead and do it. It's your kitchen, after all!

I don't have photos of what you're suggesting, but check the Finished Kitchens Blog (FKB), you might find some.

Here are some pics of my "built-in" refrigerator:

Here is a link that might be useful: Slideshow: How to Build-In a Refrigerator

• newcastlemom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good question, StacyS. Buehl, I really appreciate the replies and photos. My cabinets are not frameless so the side panels also have a frame - which adds up to a total of 3 inches lost. I could go frameless just in that spot but it would be out of sync with the rest of the cabinets' design.

I think the "finished look" is worth it. I perused the finishedkitchen photos blog (great suggestion) and most have side panels. I liked that look better than those that don't.

My uppers are a little deeper than standard so I think it will be OK.

If I went deeper yet on the adjacent uppers on the right of the fridge(another good idea) it would narrow the opening too much on a diagonal cabinet I have right next to it. On the left side, I have a mullioned glass upper that is the same size as the one on the far side of the doorway they both flank, and I want them to stay the same size. Does that make sense?

Interesting how virtually every decision point now impacts so many other things. Thanks for the help.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

End panels should not have a frame...they should be flat pieces of 3/4" wood finished to match your cabinets (in my case, cherry w/mandarin stain & coffee glaze).

My cabinets are also framed...but the end panels do not have a frame. These are panels, not cabinets (and not decorative doors, either).

What did your KD (or GC) order???????

The cabinet depth answers do make sense. I think you're right to leave them as-is.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Just re-read...you don't have the panels yet (sorry, mixed you up w/the person whose KD ordered the wrong depth panels!)

Just ask your cabinetmaker to make 3/4" flat panels finished to match your cabinets. They should match the depth of your refrigerator's carcass + any clearance needed behind the refrigerator.

E.g., If the refrigerator's carcass is 28" deep and you need 1" clearance behind it (for air circulation, plumbing for water or ice, plug, and/or anti-tip device), then you want panels that are 29" deep (28" + 1")....b/c that's how far the carcass will extend from the back wall.

Be sure, though, that you don't cover the doors. The doors must extend out past the panels to be able to open fully (> 90o).

Can you recess the refrigerator into the back wall at all? If so, that would make the refrigerator appear less deep and you would need shallower end panels. Using the same example, you would need end panels of a depth = 29" - the amount you are able to recess into the wall.

HTH!

• newcastlemom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the knowledgeable reply Buehl. Not sure why my cabinet guy says he needs frames on those panels but I will find out. Been talking to him a lot the last 2 days as he finalizes his cut sheets so I'm sure to hear from him. I sent him your photos, too. Very helpful.

Re: recessing the fridge, that's a good idea. I thought about it and actually seriously looked into it cause our fridge is so big. That's a load bearing wall and my DH already had "a wee bit of consternation" about messing with the 3 walls we took down so I promised him I'd not interfere with the new refer wall. He's been a trouper about all this; he was happy with our kitchen just the way it was.

• nursetammi
    13 years ago

I just love having a built in (which is really a built in). Would do it again in a heartbeat. It really is so nice not having the frig stick out.
    Here's a pic, sorry I don't have any close up at the moment

• newcastlemom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nurse, thanks for the photo; I see what you mean. Your kitchen is beautiful. Such a warm and inviting space.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi newcastle-

Here are before and afters of my fridge. It sticks out a bit but still looks better now that it is "built in," in my opinion. Also included a picture of my sister's fridge.

Hope the visuals help...they always help me!

KA:)

Before...the cluttered control station fridge...We hung everything on it!

And there was a huge gap here...looked bad.

After...

Sister's "built in"
    href="http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/kitchenaddict/Family%20Photos/?action=viewät=20166_103256789701538_100000516524035_88154_3425161_n.jpg"; target="_blank">

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I too have a built in for my sub zero. It is paneled as well. Since I have a small kitchen, this look makes it seem bigger.

• newcastlemom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kitchenaddict and Ellendi. I went with the built in look and I think I'll be glad I did. That was nice of you to post the photos, Addict. So much easier to "get it" when there's a visual.