Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bluestone for Counter?

Posted by hoodgrad (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 12:42

While rummaging through remnants at the stone yard this morning, I came across a beautiful, simple grey slab. The sales person said it was bluestone and it is used for "outdoor applications" and pavers. She said it is soft (comparable to marble or soapstone)

Anyone ever used it for kitchen counters? I love the way it looks, but the Stone lady thought I was NUTS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bluestone for Counter?

We have bluestone paving outside, and while admittedly we have hard winters so it is exposed to temperature extremes here, I wouldn't recommend it for a counter - it seems to flake a lot, with whole millimetre-thick-but-half-the width-of-the-slab sized pieces coming off now and then.

It looks wonderful, but I just don't see it for counters. Indoor flooring, if the slabs were carefully selected, perhaps.

o

Hi,
From what I understand, it's a GREAT choice for a countertop but requires a little care, like all other stone. Google "bluestone for kitchen counters". An island was topped with it on a recent episode of This Old House. I LOVE bluestone, I have it all over my yard. I like how my daughter uses smaller rocks and scratches "pictures" into the bluestone stair treads on my porch and they just magically disappear. It's gotta be bullet proof. Here's a link for you, there's a lot of info on them out there, good luck!
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Construction-Contractors-1093/bluestone-countertops-kitchen-care.htm

Another, this one has pics and I'm EATING MY HEART OUT, why didn't I think of this?
http://www.countertopsofthefuture.com/Solid_Surface/Devonian/devonian.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone for Kitchen Counter

o

I have a bluestone backsplash and really love it. Never thought about it as a material for a countertop. Hmmmmmm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here