Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Ina Garten's chipped paint

Bunny
9 years ago

The other day I was watching The Barefoot Contessa. Ina went to take something out of a top drawer in her painted white inset cabinet. It was a closeup and revealed dings and chips all along the leading edge of the drawer. I had to rewind to make sure that's what I'd seen.

My cabs were painted almost 3 years ago. There's just me in the kitchen, no "messy" cooks or kids banging around. The only damage to the paint is a few tiny pinholes along the top of lower cabinet doors where my cat grabs to open them. Virtually invisible.

I kind of love that Ina's cabs were banged up and either production doesn't notice or doesn't care. Impossible that no one sees it.

Comments (12)

• deeebert
    9 years ago

In the "house" kitchen or in the barn?

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good question deeebert. The show originally aired in 2007 if that's any help. It looked like her regular kitchen.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

I believe 2007 would have been in her house. I love her barn. Would love that for entertaining. She is my favorite celebrity chef. DH actually got to meet her at a book signing I sent him to. He came back a fan and saying she had freckles that you don't see on TV.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She's my favorite too, baskets. In her opening segment you can see her freckles. I think she's quite beautiful. I use a lot of her recipes, although I do cut way back on the amount of salt. I like her dishes and her easy manner.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

She's my/our favourite celebrity cook. I don't measure salt, I find that everyone uses too much salt for our liking.

Her kitchen is just to die for. Love, love it. And the barn kitchen!
    Hubby always says that Jeffrey is so spoiled! LOL

I read a while ago that they had split up. I sincerely hope not! I loved the two of them together.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope they haven't split up either. I just checked her Wikipedia page and no mention of it. They seem to dote on one another, not in a staged way.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I got to meet her at a book signing a few years ago in York, ME. She was very engaging & looked younger & more petite IRL.

I remember reading that her home kitchen - the one with the green vertical striped walls - actually had black laminate perimeter counters, though the island was stone. Quelle horreur! Seriously, though, part of her appeal to me is her down-to-earth manner. I was near the end of the line after hours she spent signing books and she was still warm and friendly.

House Beautiful (she used to have a monthly recipe feature) did a piece on the kitchen in her NYC apartment. It was very nice, but compact and efficient. It was a great example that you don't need space as much as a good plan for a functional kitchen.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

amck, my husband was probably standing in line with you in York! I sent him to get a signed copy for my SIL as a Christmas present, thinking it would be a quick trip. Hours later he finally got to see her. I guess he said he was getting it for my SIL and she thought it was sweet of him to wait in line for her. He is a keeper and I just love her.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

She was in Toronto a few years ago at a book signing and was amazed at the lineup of people who were were waiting to see her. She thought no one knew who she was outside of the U.S. :-)

Linelle, it would break my heart if they really did split up. I know I hear/read about it somewhere, but haven't heard anything since. I thought, if *they* split up, then everyone is doomed.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jasdip, I know. Jeffrey has such a good gig, drives around in his little BMW and comes home to delicious things and cuddles with Ina.

I seriously searched for "Ina Garten Jeffrey split" and nothing came up, except for one of those stupid "Ask" type websites where people ask crazy questions.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Use to love her...then the whole make a wish thing were she would not honor a wish, I have kind of soured on her....but no doubt she makes some great things

• ajc71
    9 years ago

RE: Chipped paint

Barn kitchen was hand painted on-site, which would explain the lived in feel and well used feel which was the goal....