Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilysmarathonmom_gw

Gray Cabinets - Who has them?

emilysmarathonmom
15 years ago

I had a friend call me today and ask what I thought of gray cabinets. I told her there was a picture on Garden Web of someone with the most beautiful dark and light gray cabinets but I can't find it. If you are out there can we see them? If anyone knows who has them can you please let me know?

Thanks!!

Comments (18)

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Not on the Gardenweb, but "celebrity party-planner" Colin Cowie's gray kitchen is ultra glam and fabulous. There's a video tour of it on the Oprah website, linked below. Also, HGTV has still photos of that kitchen on their website (make sure to click on the photos to enlarge them).

I like the way the cabinets go up to the ceiling, and have no ornamentation, and just the thinnest strip of crown moulding. I think that is to let the wood grain take center stage - the wood has been pickled to a gorgeous gray color.

HGTV "Party Planner's Kitchen"

Oprah: "Living Well with Colin Cowie" video

• emilysmarathonmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

akchicago-thanks! That is a great look. Very glamorous.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I have light gray cabinets around my rangetop area, but there was a recent discussion started by mominthedubc, who is planning dark and light gray cabinets. You can see photos she posted of the 2 doors near the bottom of the thread. I'll look for it and link it below. You can also find links to Allison's kitchen in that one, which also has gray cabs.

Here are my light gray ones...Not as elegant, but gray!

Here is a link that might be useful: mominthedubc's discussion on gray cabs

• emilysmarathonmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rhome- Thanks so much! My friend is just amazed that I got an answer and pictures so quickly. The power of Gardenweb is amazing.
    Cindy

• Buehl
    15 years ago

There are 3 kitchens in the Finished Kitchens Blog w/gray cabinets.

http://delicious.com/starpooh/b3:Cabinet_Color:Gray

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

• beachmusic
    15 years ago

There is a recent thread concerning Igloochic's bathroom that has a photo a gray cabinet door samples. Maybe that's what you saw?

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

I posted a question about gray cabs a little while ago and attached the photos of our door samples, the real ones aren't installed yet. I showed them in a question to "Igloochic's" about her DS Bathroom that "beachmusic" referred to. I don't know how I attached them in the first place, but I will "try" to attach the link to that discussion, but if that doesn't work, just search, "Igloochic, DS Bathroom countertop?" I don't know if those are the ones you are referring to or not. If they are, I am very flattered. If not, oh well... LOL.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Sorry, no pics yet, but in our new kitchen, the perimeter cabinets will be white with platinum glaze and the island will be charcoal.

Arlene

• emilysmarathonmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mominthedubc it was your doors that I was trying to find. Thank you!!! We will look forward to seeing your finished kitchen? How far along are you? (wait that sounds like a pregnancy kitchen but then this whole process does remind me of a pregnancy in many ways!)

buehl-thanks for the info on the Finished Kitchen Blog, now if I could ever figure out how to use it and search for something specific......... I will try again.

• jtsgranite4us
    15 years ago

We have some in our bathroom.

It was custom stain that the cabinet maker made after seeing a cabinet color in a magazine we wanted to copy.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Emilysmarathonmaom, Wow, thank you! People here who have helped me know how difficult it is for me to make a decison, so when we finally decided on those colors, that was HUGE! So, to get some compliments from anyone, confirming our decision, makes me feel great! Thank you so much. I can't wait to be able to share. We are adding on a bit to the kitchen and family room and they are almost finished framing that and then the ripping and tearing of our kitchen begins (maybe next week). We probably won't have the cabs in until November, though. Good luck to you and your friend.

Mary

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Jtsgranite... forgot to mention how striking your bathroom is! I love the gray,and your sinks are fabulous!

• emilysmarathonmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jtsgranite-what a beautiful bathroom. Thanks for the pictures. I especially love your sinks. Are they glass?

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Martha S. has grey cabinets in her kitchen, too.

• goutgrec
    15 years ago

I'm looking for gray cabinets too! Allison0704 has beautiful cabinets. The best photos of those I found are here. There are others.

Does anyone have a good light gray paint color they like? Have you used it with gray cabinets? Any photos?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gray kitchens

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

To follow up on Flyleft's message, I am linking below to someone who blogged about Martha Stewart's gray kitchen. The photos are straight from Martha's magazine, and if you click on the pics, you'll be able to see the kitchen very well. Custom gray cabinetry and vast expanses of marble counters everywhere. Clearly, it was VERY expensive.

One note though about Martha's kitchen. I remember when that magazine issue came out, and there was some discussion on this Forum about it. The kitchen is unrelievedly gray, and some people, myself included, felt that THAT MUCH gray was dreary, and also institutional looking (sorry Martha! Love ya anyway). It's one thing to see gray kitchens glamorously photographed in a magazine, and another to live with entirely gray decor day in and day out (think how it would be during the dark days of winter). Just my cautionary (un-asked-for) $.02.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog about Martha's Gray Kitchen

• Michelle Hibbs
    15 years ago

Kraftmaid offers traditional framed cabinets in a pewter finish. They also have a line of European frameless cabinets in light and dark gray; the line is Venicia by Kraftmaid sold at Lowe's. To see them, just visit Kraftmaid's website.

• jtsgranite4us
    15 years ago

mominthedubc and emilysmarathonmom,

Thanks for the compliments. We are very happy with the sinks. They are glass and were purchased from "Expo" the upscale design center which is a division of Home Depot.