Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tolachi

Galley Kitchen Layout Feedback Pls

tolachi
9 years ago

I am getting ready to buy cabinets and wanted a double check on my layout. The apartment will be a nice rental/airBnB. Ikea cabinets with semihandmade's walnut doors. Counters 30" deep in a white quartz or verona marble. Stainless appliances. Dimensions are 13'8" by 11'2". I am open to any feedback, but am mostly concerned about the dishwasher (18") located next to the wall. I am considering replacing it with a 15" cabinet and putting it to the immediate left of the sink with a 15" cabinet then also between the DW and the stove. The current cabinet between the stove and DW is 30", so a 30" replaced by 2 15" which is a little less storage space in a storage challenged layout.

This kitchen is on the small side but the overall sqft of the apt is ~750 so it doesn't need to be huge.

Thx!

Comments (5)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I'm really new to kitchen planning and am learning a lot from others here while planning my own kitchen remodel, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Having the dishwasher between the stove and sink will really create a bottle-neck if two people are working in the kitchen. I have that set-up now and it's horrible so I can't wait to move my DW to the other side of the sink so prep and clean-up can be done at the same time without the DW in the way.

That said, I really like what has been done with the small space. But if you want more storage, is it possible to run the counters down the wall toward the entrance door? Maybe about to the end of the window closest the door so that there's still room for someone to come in/out without getting in the way of anyone cooking and cleaning?

This would allow you to move the sink farther from the stove creating even more prep area there, which is always handy. I think the area between stove and sink is the most precious area of the kitchen, often used for most prepping, and so the bigger you can make it the better, imho. And then you could move the dishwasher around the corner, about centered under the window. Which would still leave you room to stand and maneuver between sink and DW.

• tolachi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

funkycamper: Thx. That is good feedback, I hadn't really seen what I would be sacrificing in terms of workflow by moving the DW.

My initial plan involved an L that did what you mentioned. However, I've always hated corners in kitchen layouts and am willing to take the hit on storage. I also like how the galley style gives everyone their own workspace.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Are there two sets of four drawers on either side of the oven? If so, where do you intend to store your taller pots? You may want to have a set of two deep drawers on one side (their fronts could look like four drawers if you need them to match).
    Also I am not clear where your clean dishes are going to go when you remove them from the dishwasher. I have an 18 inch dishwasher and I love it.
    I am no fan of the L layout either but it may be worth turning that entire wall that backs onto the bathroom into your pantry by adding floor-to-ceiling cabinets that are very narrow (depth of about two cans or a roll of paper towels) that way you could store spices, canned goods, paper towels, cleaning goods and a broom and dustpan). The wall doesn't have to look like kitchen cabinets (they could all be mirrored doors to give you the feeling of additional light and space in the kitchen.)
    I would also figure out where you want to put your trash can before you proceed so that it does not end up being a visual irritant to you.

• bpath
    9 years ago

You might slide the fridge to the right a couple of inches so the door can open without the handle gouging a hole in the wall. You probably don't have enough room to put in a pullout pantry, though.

If this is a short-term rental, a microwave{{gwi:807}} would be very useful, maybe mounted between fridge and range, or a microwave drawer.

A very shallow base cabinet between the windows would handy. If the dishwasher still has room to open, of course.

This post was edited by bpathome on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 10:54

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I'm not thrilled with corner cupboards either, especially the type I have in my own soon-to-be-demolished kitchen. There are now a lot of really interesting solutions to the blind corner issue including better lazy-susans, pull-out cabinets, and even drawers that fit angled in the corner (sorry I don't have links).

You could put your sink in the corner. I realize you'll love the "look out the window while washing dishes" ability but, really, does anybody do that? When I'm washing dishes I'm looking at the dishes to make sure they're really clean not looking out the window. I've noticed my husband looks out the window more when he's washing and, yeah, I often have to rewash what he washed. Just a thought.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio