Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudworm_gw

concrete countertop. Pictures and experience?

mudworm
12 years ago

In the new kitchen we are working on, we'll have a large L shaped perimeter countertop. We'll most likely get granite for it and will leave that to the professionals. However, we are also doing a breakfast bar that is about 60" wide at the widest part. Initially, I thought about doing soapstone just so that we could DIY that part. However, it becomes evident that I'll need built up edges to hide the steel support on the underside. For quite a few days, I have been thinking about using concrete instead for the seamless edges. The books I ordered on concrete countertops have not arrived, but I wonder if GW'ers here have pictures and experience to share. I don't expect many because I only saw it mentioned once in the long thread .

@frmrsdghtr, I hope you don't mind me grabbing your picture from that thread and pasting here. I cannot believe you made marble out of concrete! I love it!!! If you see this post, can you please share more details? What do you mean that it's an overlay? Did you just make a thin shell that sits on top of existing laminate countertop? It does not appear bulky enough for that. Do you have any staining or discoloration problem with such light colored concrete? Got any progress photos too? Did you find any book or website helpful? (Sorry for all the questions.)

Comments (5)