Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swentastic81

Need advice on length of shelves/backsplash

I'm to the point now where I need to pull the trigger on buying materials to build our shelves - I know I know most people here don't care for all open shelves in a kitchen...

For those of you who do, and have seen this application before, where would you suggest I end the shelf/backsplash?

A. End the shelf and BS where the cabinets end (i.e. 12" in from the edge of the counter) leaving a portion of the counter without backsplash (eesh now that I put it that way I'm inclined to say no).

B. End the shelf and BS where the countertop ends?

Also, do you think I should take the BS to the bottom of the first shelf or the 2nd?

Finally, what's your opinion on SS behind the range vs. continuing the glass tile backsplash behind the range and up to the hood? I assume cleaning would be much easier in the former scenario...

This post was edited by Swentastic on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 8:33

Comments (11)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Are we voting? If so, I vote for the shelf ending where the backsplash ends (frankly, I can't even see how ending it where the cabinet ends is even a possibility, since there's no real visual connection between the shelf and the cabinet), and I like the look of the backsplash up the first shelf.

I think it would be fine to have stainless steel behind the stove, but I don't think glass would be any harder to keep clean.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes votes please! Haha thanks.

I guess I need to be more specific as it could be interpreted either way - backsplash to the bottom of the bottom shelf, or backsplash to the bottom of the top shelf?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I just reread what I wrote and you're right. I like the backsplash to the bottom of the bottom shelf (I don't dislike it the other way, just like it more)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

End BS at the bottom of the bottom shelf, and extend shelves and BS to end of counter.

What color for the walls and the glass tile? My first reaction is tiles behind the range, but I think it depends on the colors. I think either tiles or SS would look good - but tiles might look better.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The glass tile is a green-grey color - it reads more grey on this pic and I don't have one handy. They match the veins in the countertop really nicely.

• meganmca
    9 years ago

What they say (to the counter edge, only to the 1st shelf)...but: How deep are the shelves? I'm trying to picture if they'll be in your face, literally, while sitting at that counter--but then, I don't know how many stools you're trying to put in, etc.

Oh, and stainless behind the stove, with a stainless shelf. We have the stainless shelf & it is really awesome when cooking, really nice to have the can't-harm-always-free area.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

One more vote for to the bottom of the first shelf, to the end of the counter, and stainless backsplash behind the range with stainless shelf

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

Isn't the chimney vent rather high? Isn't there a shorter distance requirement between the bottom of the vent and the top of the cook stove? This may depend on what brand of chimney vent but still looks like that vent is too high to catch all that it should catch.

I'm in the process of buying a chimney vent and also have open shelves on each side but I haven't got down to the exact details yet. Which is reason I'm asking.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

"Isn't the chimney vent rather high?" In most cases, bottom of hood should be between 30" and 36" above cooking surface. There are exceptions, so check your range/hood specs.
    I went for the max at 36" above and it works fine, it is also out of head banging territory!

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! You confirmed everything I was thinking. I purposefully oversized the chimney so I could mount it higher up. I was concerned w the 12" deep shelves being in your face too as I was hoping to have 3 stools under the overhang. Maybe I'll mock it up with cardboard and see how it feels.

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the tile color IRL except I'll be using 3x12s

This post was edited by Swentastic on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 9:41