Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseofblue_gw

Switch Track! Share Favorite White Kitchen! See Pics & Show Yours

roseofblue
13 years ago

Please Share your Favorite Creamy/White Kitchen and Cabinets....we are almost ready to order the Cabinets. Every time we walk into this Kitchen of our house that we just sold - we wish that we lived in Europe and could take our custom creamy/white kitchen, with us!

Since, it is not in the budget to duplicate this kitchen, I guess that we thought a new direction was our only choice. But, we both keep coming back to this lighter look instead of the Cherry Wood that we have had in the past! Just need to replace the kitchen that we have here, with some New Ideas for a beautiful Creamy/White Kitchen! We really want Help to switch tracks and yet stay on the same path as this white kitchen - has anyone else experienced this dilemma and these feelings?

Do you think that a Cherry wood floor will look good or will Santos Mahogany, hold up, better in a Kitchen? Do you have Santos Mahogany in your house, is it still looking fine and wearing well?

We appreciate all the advice that you may have and love to see your Favorite White Kitchens - especially like to know if you are still happy to see the way that your kitchen looks, everyday! And are your White Cabinets holding up with the change of seasons and all the living that we all do with our family in the heart of our home! Is there anything that you might change or add - share the best thing about Your Kitchen, Please! Thank you all, roseofblue

Comments (21)

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The kitchen brickmanhouse did with Ikea cabinets. Really my all time favourite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen: Circa 1840 Working Farmhouse, IKEA Budget Reno

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Hi Roseofblue,
    I STILL love white kitchens so much. We don't have as many threads dedicated to them anymore. I have some pics of some favorites and some of my own. I haven't moved into mine yet (part of a new build) but I do the walk through everyday after work and love it just as much as I did when I was planning and imagining it over the past few years. I know I've posted pics of my own before but I may have posted some of my favorites too, sorry for being repetitive....

Here's mine, it's empty and not-in-use, unaccessorized and I forgot to open the blinds before I took pics
    {{gwi:1942625}}

{{gwi:1942627}}

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/thumbnail.jsp?Ntk=Def&siteId=117&parentCategoryId=85183&N=85217&Nty=1&categoryId=85217&No=16&Nao=16

I love the more transitional take on this one

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/white-kitchen-steel-window-kitchen-phvw-vp~55479)

[kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_709)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/white-kitchen-black-island-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~60061)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/white-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~44237)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by chicago kitchen and bath The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/white-kitchen-0407-xlgjpg-image-phvw-vp~42984)

[home design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~)

Like the little awning, cute

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/bistro-style-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-toronto-phvw-vp~49295)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/utensil-rack-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~44160)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by chicago kitchen and bath The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/abbeyk-inc-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~33971)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by boston interior designer Abbeyk, Inc.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

I love this Mike Digiulio kitchen. The cabinetry, that pot rack, the hood!

Check out the Calacutta marble backsplash behind the range, and how they matched the veins going across with each piece. Furthermore, check out how the marble slides open on each side of the range to reveal spice storage.

Mike DiGiulio Kitchen - Backsplash Closed

Mike DiGiulio Kitchen - Backsplash Open

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

That backsplash closed/open feature is one for the "remember me" file whether or not you're doing a white kitchen. Great posting!

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello, Thank you all, these pictures are some great Ideas, so far! Petra, your right, that Ikea kitchen is an amazing look for the budget that they worked with, DIY has paid off for them!
    rookie, Please put our order in for one of your new kitchens - to go! Oh my, beautiful in every detail, where did you find these Cabinets, are they pure white, what are they called? We really like this look, what is the dark counter-top around the range and what kind of stove is this? The Wood Hood above is just right and the back splash, just gorgeous! What is the name of your Marble - we put in a Marble counter-top in our lake house and always liked it! Very easy to wipe off, so it looked as good the day that we sold it as the day that we installed the Marble!
    Please tell us the name of your wonderful floor, this is just what we have in mind for the perfect accent to White Cabinets! Will you please tell us the name & color of the lovely paint on the walls? Is that your door to the Pantry, next to the painted wall? Looks great with your light fixtures, where did you find these beauties? Did you have a classic time period in mind when you were making all of these selections? Maybe this is how one may proceed, by selecting the Lighting, first! Or did your Lights, find you, at the finish your design! It seems to me that the light fixtures and the counters in each of the pictures that you graciously sent, do provoke a feeling for the heart of the home! Here is a picture of our new, Old House!

We do love the location of our new House - but our ideal house would be on a coast over-looking the Sea, we all dream of that, right! Keeping this in mind, we do love the Seaside, wood shingles houses, but not many of these in the Mid-west. Do you think that there is a way to bring the "living by the Sea" feeling to our Kitchen, while using the White Cabinets and the wood floor, perhaps like Santos Mahogany or cherry wood?
    Did I mention that we probably will keep the vintage, 13' long Stainless Steel Counter-top that is on the sink side of the room! Already purchased a new SS Bosch Integrity Dishwasher.
    And are definitely keeping the built-in Cabinets that surround the Frig. - we are replacing this one with a SS Dacor Epicure French Door. This way the Frig. doors will keep the Dining Room entry, more accessible.
    Do you think that the new Cabinets should be the INSET Door Style, to match the built-ins or is this not necessary??
    There will be new Cabinets on both sides of the range, top & bottom. Need to decide on the Counter-tops & Back splash for around an Electric Smooth Top/Convection Range, yet to be selected (we prefer all electric)? Also, the metal tiles above the SS counter and sinks, will be removed, I hope this will not damage the old plaster walls?
    Guess we may want to think about the Light Fixtures to capture a Seaside look, any Ideas or pictures are always welcome! We usually like to have a nice ceiling fan with lights, in the Kitchen - probably will want to add one in here! The new faucet will be a Grohe Lady Lux in Chrome, think that the large sinks will look good with this style! Anyone have this style or a similar faucet, how do you like your faucet?

akchicago - Thank you for including the pictures of the Digiulio Kitchen, absolutely wonderful! Your right florantha - some more great inspiration for everyone!
    Now, we have to select our White Cabinets! We are looking at Dynasty/Omega and others - does anyone have Dynasty/Omega in White - please tell us about your experience with the quality & pricing of the White Wood Cabinets that you have selected? Our Kitchen is 13' x 10'.
    And the floors that were selected for your kitchen?
    Thank you all for the wonderful input, so far! roseofblue

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Hi Roseofblue,
    Thanks for the kind words! Is there any possibility you could get a cabinet maker to mimic those doors on the frig surround? They are really great. I'd mimic those as closely as possible! Your new old house is really pretty! My house is sort of-shingle style (like you'd see on the coast) but we're about 45 miles inland and on a farm so we went with more stone and a small amount of shingles on the exterior.
    My floors are a red-oak, slightly planed, pre-finished, moderately priced from Shaw. The color looks a bit more red in the pics but it's called Countryside. The marble is honed calacatta on the island and backsplash. The perimeter is leathered cambrian granite. I'm so glad you shared your experience with marble! I hope I find it easy to care for too.
    Cabinets are an off-white called Victorian from Candlelight Cabinets. The range is a Viking, the classic with electronic controls.
    That is the pantry door, it's knotty alder, stained to match the floors with chalkboard panels. It's from Masonite. The pendants are from Circa Lighting, called the mini arch-topped chandelier in Aged Bronze (black).
    The paint color is Sherwin Williams in Dried Thyme, lightened about 2 shades.
    The style I had in mind was more casual than what I ended up with. I think my kitchen would fit your house style better than mine! I wanted marble perimeter, wood topped island and a white subway backsplash. My DH threw a wrench in it when he begged me not to do marble counters at all. He's all about granite. The backsplash changed because the cabinet color is an off white with pink undertones and I couldn't find a tile color I liked and I had that leftover marble......
    And the turned legs flanking the stove, they are pull outs for canned goods. I didn't order them, I don't mind them though. I just think it contributes to a more formal, 19th century, English style. I was going for a more bungalow type vibe and it just went all fancy on me :)
    I chose the lighting after the cabinets and countertops. The ones I chose originally are brushed nickel and HUGE. So HUGE that they are collecting dust in the basement until I can sell them on eBay. The ones I used were really for the mudroom.
    Your kitchen has a lot of charm as is and by your description of what you want, it's going to be fabulous. Have you done a search on Coastal Living Magazine? I bet you'd get a lot of inspiration from it. Like these:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/coastal-living-kitchen-kitchen-phvw-vp~45860)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/great-room-eclectic-phvw-vp~50125)

You have a great kitchen to work with! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your selections, keep us posted!

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rookie, Your Idea about repeating the Inset Doors is so true! Will have to find out the upgrade for the Inset Doors. We have mostly Drawers on the bottom Cabinets, I like them so much. Do you use a lot of Drawers or Pull-out Shelves? Of course, with your great Pantry you do not need so many. How large is the Pantry, will you have room for any appliances in there? Is the wall by your Frig., finished, what did you select for your Frig. and Dishwasher?
    We will really miss our Sub Zero, but those built-in White Wood Cabinets around the Frig. are not tall enough for the Sub Zero! So, we searched to find the right Frig. and think that we will really like the Dacor Epicure.
    SOAPSTONE - will some of you please tell us all about it, we are still thinking about using it around the Range? Do not know anyone personally who has Soapstone, what is the name of your color and pattern? If anyone has experience with SOAPSTONE, the Sink or any pictures, please show us! If you have a Soapstone Sink - how is this to use, are there some nicks and scratches in the sink and how do you clean this surface? Please share the name of your Soapstone and your source - has it been a good addition to your kitchen? We were looking on line at the Soapstone again, is it best to find the hardest SOAPSTONE or do they all perform the same? And we probably do not need a whole slab of Soapstone for just around the range! Is there any hope for us to find a very nice, smaller piece of Soapstone - any suggestions?
    rookie, Your Cabinets are so lovely, I just like the entire room, quite an Inspiration! Seems like everyone on this site is so kind and helpful. Guess we are all trying to make the wisest, most cost effective and beautiful choices! roseofblue

• willowdecor
    13 years ago

Here is my kitchen. White subway tile, soapstone and marble. We love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Willows kitchen

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I am a white kitchen girl. I love white kitchens and I
    have a simple small but lovely white kitchen. I wish I had
    the kitchen Willow has but being on GW I get to live
    vicariously through all those fantastic white kitchens.
    ~boxerpups

A little piece of my white kitchen

Chelsea Court Kitchen

Kitchen 5

Chadds Ford Blue Bell Kitchen

Heidi Clare White Kitchen

Small Bone Kitchen

BW Woodovenia

Kitchen 3

Weddington design

Chandelier in Kitchen

• ajard
    13 years ago

I just finished a white kitchen this summer and we are very happy with it
    Marble, Walnut Butcher Block and Polished

http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/ajard/Kitchen%20Completed%20July%202010/

• rosie
    13 years ago

Hi, Roseofblue. What a great start. I already really like your kitchen and love the stainless counter (still miss mine of 25 years ago!). It'll make a great kick-off to your design as a character element, as well as being wonderfully functional of course.

Regarding developing a light, airy white-cabinet kitchen, notice how many of the kitchens in these pictures keep the dark, contrasting elements low...

Notice also how many allow the cabinets and walls to blend airily together by keeping the colors the same or similar. (Spaces also look larger and avoid visual clutter and preculiarly shaped, and perhaps unbalanced, pieces of color and blocks of cabinet this way.)

Your blue walls are actually the only illustration posted so far, though, of another viable direction often seen in beach cottages, not so much the blue in itself but just the cottagey practice of using paint color as decoration. A search would turn up some real charmers.

I'm running out of notions, but certainly all the nice light you have from your two windows, and the way they allow the eye to keep moving on beyond the room itself, are also significant assets for the look you're going for. After all, people don't go to the beach for that comforting, cozy shut-the-world-out feeling so many look for in their homes. :)

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

My camera needs batteries or I'd post a photo...my white kitchen cabinets were installed last week and even without: countertops, backsplash, appliances and flooring I've been spending time just sitting gazing at them in adoration!

I have a galley kitchen, and have lived with the 1950 original kitchen until 3 weeks ago. Trendy or not, I knew 21 years ago that I'd replace the kitchen (which was white) with white. Love the look, love the clean and simple feel, love everything about a white kitchen. Am already loving my white kitchen as it reveals itself.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

The backsplash field tiles in the Weddington design are so pretty. I ma not sure I'd have done such busy in the feature, but those would be nice for someone trying to have a mellow bs but not boring.
    The Chelsea Court looks so classic and elegant and Kitchen 5 is also great.
    Roseofblue - I like your white kitchen as it is now, lol.

• polkadots
    13 years ago

Love this thread...thanks for the pictures. Roseofblue, I am experiencing many anxious thoughts while trying to make a final decision on white or stained - though choices.

rookie, been admiring your house over on Building a Home...looks great. Thanks for posting that Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn pic. I love that and hadn't seen it before. Anyone know what granite that might be??

Thanks.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

*sigh*

I love looking at all these beautiful white kitchens. There are so many absolutely gorgeous kitchens just on GW--I don't know if I could pick a hands-down favorite, though I know a few I would say are on my top tier.

No photos yet of ours, but hopefully sometime this fall....

Keep the photos coming!

• blonde1125
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your pictures! I came to this forum only recently. I stumbled upon it while researching "chandeliers for a kitchen". We are doing a white kitchen also and I have gotten a lot of great ideas from this site. It has been so helpful to have all of you while trying to make decisions for my own reno.

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

willow, Please share where you found your white Cabinets and your source for the white Subway Tile, Soapstone and Marble - We love it, also!
    boxerpups, You are so blessed to have so many great windows! There is no room in our kitchen for a regular table, most of our meals will be in the adjoining Dining Room. Love your white kitchen and those gorgeous floors, what are they and your counters? Great peninsula, you have it all! Also, what brand is your Range, maybe we can find one like yours in Electric. Wonderful moldings above the cabinets! Thank you for all of the Pictures!
    Well - as of TODAY we officially own our new, Old House, so exciting, almost cried! Will have the keys on Friday, and we will take the accurate measurements of the kitchen. There may be room for a small wood island or a little Bistro table, placed under that window, just have to see them in place!
    Rosie, Thank you so much for the terrific suggestions, about the dark colors, grounding the space. You all, are really helping us, please continue to offer all of your Ideas and Pictures!
    Just thought that you all, may have some opinion on our counters around the Range - we found, some very pretty: Imperiale Azul Quartzite/granite! Remember, we are intending to keep the Stainless Steel Counter-Top on the Sink side of Kitchen. So we are thinking about Granite or Soapstone for the Stove side - but we only need 2 small pieces and it is not sensible or feasible to purchase an entire slab, right? Does anyone know where we may find any smaller pieces of Stone, HELP?
    And do you all have the Sources for any of the lovely Marble Back Splash Tiles? Will it be OK to use a marble Back Splash with a granite counter? The metal square tiles above our SS Counter-Top/Sinks, will be removed, I hope it is easy - then the same Back Splash will be used on the Sink side of room. DH says that, the Selection of Electric Range may be dependent on the Counters and Back Splash!
    polkadots, You sound like us, we have a difficult time selecting just one Wood!
    shelayne and blondi, Wow I really know how you feel! Any luck finding your light?
    runningplace, you have the new cabinets, I am jealous - what brand are they, we still have not selected ours!
    dianalo, Thanks, your input is always welcome here - just curious, How would you use, these white Steel Cabinets in your design?
    Yes, rookie's Kitchen & House are Amazingly Beautiful!
    Did I ever mention that we must put up a fence in the backyard for our Miniature Poodles! Does anyone have a fence that their Dog will not escape, our little girls are still of the breeding age - our Lovey is the daughter of our Mia - just had to keep one puppy, right! Mia had six beautiful, healthy babies! People are still calling us to find another one of her Pups! We are considering her for a second litter, just love the little ones, so adorable and smart! Our Son owns the Chocolate brown, Mini Poodle, father! And Mia is a perfect Mother!
    Thank you all again for all the great Pictures & Ideas, hope we can find some smaller pieces of Stone, soon, any Ideas for any sources? roseofblue

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOOKING for the beautiful Light Fixture that is hanging in this kitchen, does anyone have some sources for this or a similar design? There is a brief description of this Kitchen on the Atticmag site under: Katharine Hepburns Kitchen Redone

By Jane F ~ August 17th, 2009. Filed under: Kitchens, White
    But no info on this great Light! Another wonderful white kitchen for inspiration! Look at the amazing Marble Sink and the arched niche! Like to use a Dish Rack just like this one! Does anyone have some of these features, love to see them! And another request about the Marble Back Splashes that we aspire, too - any sources for the Marble Tiles, all shapes & sizes?

And this Dreamy Pantry that was also restored from Katherine Hepburn's Home! Wondering, what is this beautiful blue paint on the bead board, in this gorgeous Hutch Cabinet, any Ideas?! roseofblue

• lagrant
    13 years ago

I just still really love mine.....there are so many out there that served as inspiration, but this one has my heart!

• vinesandroses
    13 years ago

White kitchen girl here too! love the photos. Been browsing and reading this forum for a little while and while I don't need advice at the moment would like to share some design tips I received from a fantastic, insightful designer we met with to choose our tiles/backsplash for the new house we're building. He recommended a darker color for our backsplash because the darker the tone, the more reflective and hence a more spacious look. We're going with polished porcelain tiles which have a mirror like finish in a shade of taupish gray. He also explained that our wood floors would be the most dominant feature visually in the house. I think the white kitchen will look extra fresh against the large expanse of wood. A few other thoughts/observations of my own I'd like to share:

- it seems a modern kitchen is more suitable to an open floor plan and trad. works for a kitchen area a bit more separated.

- granite is gorgeous but I wonder if the glare on a horizontal surface causes eye fatigue.

- most posters here seem to be remodeling unlike my situation where we're building a brand new house. the builder provided nice upgrades at a discount and a range of neutral color options but limited to an ultra modern style. this goes with the floorplan and style of the house but I do love those country kitchens and farmhouse sinks.

My favorite things about my future kitchen: the windows are on the sunset side of the house - I'll never miss a sunset because I'm cooking dinner - and the carved drainer in the stone counter.

Hope to post some photos when its finished.

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions and pictures! Still trying to find the Chandelier that I pictured, here on my last post? Or something similar, pictures and sources are a great thing on these forums, right! Here are the pictures of the Green SOAPSTONE, from Brazil, that we found at a large granite distributor - does anyone recognize this pattern? We are getting bids for the install, also - OR has anyone done their own Soapstone install? Is this easy to do and how about the cutting of the slab? What kind of price may we expect from the fabricators for our 13' x 10' Kitchen with the counters only on two walls? If you'd like to share your quotes and approximate install amounts, here, we might all benefit! One of our bids is about $3300.00 for the Soapstone slab, cutting and install - is this about normal?! Does any one recognize the slab of Soapstone that I have pictured here?
    Please comment on hardness or should we not be too concerned with that factor? We have talked about using Soapstone for years and may want to use the Sink but these are very expensive!
    Please share pictures or ideas for using another kind of Sink with the Soapstone. I love my white Fireclay Apron front Farmhouse, single bowl Sink, in the house that we just sold! It is a Franke, Villeroy & Boch - but we paid, 7 yrs. ago, about $400.00 for this 26" x 17" x 7" (inside) Fireclay Sink and I think that Franke is not making this model, anymore - do you have a source for this Sink?
    Or please suggest another Fireclay in White for our Soapstone Counters! Maybe the prices have gone way up, we cannot find a similar Fireclay Sink under $500.00! If you can help us we really appreciate it - someone suggested an Ikea Farm Sink, but are the Ikea Sinks made of Fireclay? And if you have a White Ikea Farm Sink, how is it doing, do you like it?

This slab of Green Soapstone has not been waxed or oiled but we hope that it will have the green/blue shades that we see in this small piece that we have wiped with water, a few times? Should we oil this little piece and with what? Also, when you select your big slab of Soapstone, are you supposed to wet it with water to better see the colors and veins? Guess you can tell that this is new for us and I am very excited and a bit nervous about getting this right! If you have a similar Soapstone, please comment, how does it look? And how do you take care of your Soapstone, please share your knowledge & pictures! Thank you all, for any advice and pictures! roseofblue

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!