Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deev78

My Medallion Kitchen Reveal!!

DeeV78
9 years ago

I'm very excited about sharing my kitchen reveal. I'm very grateful to all the contributors on GW. I spent countless hours reading posts with reviews, considerations, and helpful advice. For example, Prior to starting the renovation, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as silgranite sink or garbage disposal air switch (love love both these new additions to my kitchen).

I will apologize in advance for the amateur photos...if there are components of the kitchen that anyone wants a closer look at, I'd be more than happy to respond.

Background:
Husband and I purchased this home 10 years ago as our starter home when we got married. It's a small single story ranch, but we subsequently finished the basement, so essentially doubled the living space. You enter the house into the living room. There used to be a wall going half the length of the LR behind which used to be the kitchen. Where the wall ended was the entrance to the dining space. There was oak hardwood in the LR and hideous blue vinyl tile in the kitchen (which apparently sat on top of three other layers of vinyl & plywood from previous owner renovations). There was a good 2-3 inch step-up between the living room and kitchen. The cabinets looked like the big box store in-stock cabinets, appliances were who knows how old. Kitchen is 11'x10'

Our renovation:
We decided to tear down that half wall that divided the LR and kitchen for an open floor plan. We flipped the location of the kitchen and dining room; so essentially rotated kitchen 180 degrees. Every single thing in the kitchen is brand new. Between cabinets, countertops, appliances, backsplash, sink, faucet, disposal, recessed lighting, pendant lighting, flooring, hardware, plumbing, electrical, new window and slider, our total cost came out to $33K.

Cabinets: Medallion Silver line, Winston door style in Divinity White for perimeter cabinets and Espresso finish for island

Countertop: originally wanted Absolute White, but the fabricator messed up the cut and we couldn't find another slab in the sane color. Ended up settling for Antique White which was busier than the Absolute White, but was the only slab that worked with the already selected backsplash and cabinet colors.

Backsplash: glass tile, AKDO Stagger Parchment Clear and Frosted. I don't remember which grout color I chose, but it's in the white family.

Flooring: new oak hardwood to match the existing floor in living. Had all flooring stripped and stained Dark Walnut.

Appliances: low to mid range Kenmore appliances. Fridge is French door with bottom freezer. Basic Over the range microwave, basic dishwasher, and mid range gas range.

Hardware: Atlas Homewares "Sutton Place" collection. All handles, combination of 3" and 5" depending on cabinet width. Venetian bronze on perimeter cabinets and brushed nickel on island

Sink: Blanco Diamond single bowl in Cafe Brown

Faucet: Delta Addison Single handle Touch2O

I think that's everything.

Before pic from living room looking into dining room:

Comments (51)

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Last Before pic

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After: full kitchen view from living room

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closer view of backsplash

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

18" pantry next to fridge

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sink, faucet and window

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of sink and faucet

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View of island and slider (slider is in dining space)

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Final pic: close up of granite countertop on island

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Get out!!! You didn't really just do that?!!!

It's beautiful. Light and bright and clean. I'll bet you are just loving it. Good job!!!

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

Stunning! I love your countertop and your backsplash works perfectly with it. I really like your door/drawer handles too!

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

it's really pretty! I love your choices and how they all work together. Huge improvement- enjoy your new beautiful space!

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is great, DeeV78. You nailed opening it up and changing the floor as well as its design and your color choices, which flow together so well. So much to like, from the cabinets, to the Antique White and glass BS, to your hardware, lights and that sink. It's an amazing turn around. Congratulations on such a wonderful job!

• ardcp
    9 years ago

it looks really beautiful! i bet you wake up smiling every day:)

• badgergal
    9 years ago

What a great transformation. I love all your finishes. The second choice granite is beautiful as is the backsplash. Wishing you years of happiness in your new space.

• wags848
    9 years ago

Truly lovely!! Wonderful transformation.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Very nice! You must be so pleased :)

• rpets
    9 years ago

Holy smokes - it's BEAUTIFUL! And I love your counters, I think it was a happy accident :)

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Very, very pretty! Love the cabinet hardware, counters, and floors. Everything looks so fresh!!

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

Nice job, Dee! Any possibility you can post a few photos taken from your front door? I'd love to see the open plan.
    Thanks and congrats!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Very nice!!!

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dccurlygirl, I just took a picture of the kitchen from the living room. Don't mind the clutter, it's after my son came home and the mess that usually follows :)

It might be on the darker side as I had to dim the lights to prevent glare....hope it helps.

We kept about 3 ft of the old wall that extended halfway past the LR so that the shorter wall ended at the same spot as the living room wall. The dining space is behind that wall (you can see a pulled out dining chair in the picture). In the near future, I plan to possibly replace the table with custom built-in bench.

• brightm
    9 years ago

It's beautiful and looks so liveable. I too came from a kitchen that had a peninsula which made both parts too small to be functional.

I'd love a closeup on your island lighting pendants and base. They (and everything else) look great.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Beautiful! your floors are gorgeous! I also agree, the counter works perfectly and I love the backsplash. Great job!

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cal_quail,

The pendant lighting above the island and above the sink is from Lowes. At first, I was browsing the designer kitchen stores for pendant lighting. I couldn't get over the sticker shock nor could I justify spending hundreds of dollars on pendant lighting alone.

At Lowes, they had a mix and match pendant section where you buy the base and the pendant shade separately. It allows the buyer to pick the base finish (brushed nickel vs ORB, etc.), single pendant base vs multi-pendant base, as well as about 20-25 different pendant shade options.

I originally purchased 4 single pendant bases; 3 for above island and 1 above sink. My contractor said we only had "box" above the island so a multi-pendant base would be quickest to install without having to go back into the crawl attic space and re-wiring. In the interest of time, I went back and purchased the 3-pendant base that you see in the picture.

You can find the base on Lowes' website if you search for "Portfolio 3-Light Bronze Mix and Match Mini Pendant Light ". And I think the pendant shade we got is called "Portfolio River Stone" (except the ones we have don't have the seashell like appearance that the one on Lowes' website appears to have).

I will post a picture of our actual pendant lights shortly.

• Stephanie S
    9 years ago

That is fantastic! Quite the update, I really love it!

• tmy_jax
    9 years ago

Beautifully done! Congrats on your new space!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

It's really beautiful. It just all works.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

VERY nice!!! Especially loving your granite, backsplash and that sink with faucet mounted to the side is awesome too!

( Is that the Delta Savile faucet from Lowes? I have it and love it.)

• nmjen
    9 years ago

So pretty! What great color combinations! It's very elegant.

Also, your before is frightfully similar to mine--down to the peninsula with those odd little semi-circle shelves. :)

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tinker, the faucet is Delta Addison Touch2O. Looks great in the kitchen and works beautifully so far. First time with a touch faucet, and it took a little time getting used to the fact that it would turn on/off with every little touch (duh) even if we were just trying to adjust the temperature or flow. I actually wish they didn't make the handle as part of the touch feature so that it could be touched without turning the faucet on/off.

• threegraces
    9 years ago

Well done and I love your "oops" granite.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It looks fantastic! You must be really loving it. Did you put the sliding glass doors in, or were they in the kitchen before?

• msmagoo
    9 years ago

OMG...I can't believe it is the same kitchen! Did you have a KD? What is the distance from the island to the oven/fridge area?
    Beautiful!

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close up of the pendant lighting above the island.

The distance between island and fridge/range is 42".

The slider and window are both new. We used to have two large windows on that wall; one in the old dining space and one in the old kitchen space. Those windows basically made that entire wall unusable. In the Reno, I opted for a slider in the new dining space to bring in more light into the open floor plan, and went with a 36" window above sink to get some wall cabinets.

I did work with a KD. Went through multiple iterations of floor plans.

• alermar
    9 years ago

Simply gorgeous! I have kitchen envy :)

• rebecca51
    9 years ago

Beautiful transformation! I know you must be so happy to have it all behind you, and now you can just enjoy everything about your new kitchen. I'm jealous - we're in the 6th week of a 12 week remodel. I hope it turns out half as wonderful as your kitchen did!

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! Everything looks absolutely perfect. I really like how your faucet is off set to the side of the sink. Eye-catching!

And I LOVE your pendants---I have the same ones, but hung individually!

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words. With so many decisions to make, set backs, and delays, I started to doubt many aspects of my decisions. I am extremely pleased with the final product, and love how everything came together despite having to make changes along the way.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love the overall look of your kitchen where everything goes so well and compliments each other that that the effect is beautiful! I love your 2nd choice granite and your backsplash.

I can't believe you were able to some construction and get new appliances along with your cabinets for that price.

Thank you for sharing.

• KS_Chicago
    9 years ago

WOW! Absolutely gorgeous! Congrats!

• amck2
    9 years ago

You've created an altogether new home! It's really nicely done. I like the interest of the 2nd-choice stone, and your wood floor really enhances the space. It's all good - Enjoy!

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Fabulous. When I bought this house my husband said, no more kitchen remodels (heck I've only had 4!). If I ever change his mind I'll look to you for inspiration.
    Linda/CA

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

Thanks for the photo, Dee. Can you also share how deep your dining room is, from the sliders back to the hall wall?

• romy718
    9 years ago

Truly lovely. You made beautiful choices that work so well together. I adore your backsplash. I always notice the crown molding & I really like yours.
    Just perfect-congrats!

• scootermom
    9 years ago

That's a really beautiful kitchen - what a change! May I ask the size of your island, please? I am contemplating a similar design, though I don't know if I have as much room as you do.

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The depth of dining area from slider to hall wall is around 125"-130".

The island has stack of 18" drawers and 24" cabinet with roll-outs. We did 11" overhang on two adjacent sides, so total island countertop size is 53" x 35".

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Lovely, functional, and warm remodel - you should be very proud! All your design choices go together so well and I love the pendant lights! I'm so happy for you and your new space.

Teresa

• crl_
    9 years ago

Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing the pictures and details.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

It's so pretty. I just love everything you did, so bright and cheery and gives such an update to everything. Enjoy it in good health for many years to come. Great job!

• Karla W
    3 months ago

How have the medallion cabinets held up? And what line did you get?

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA