Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Challenging Solid Surface Repair

Every once in a while you run into a job that at your normal rates isn't cost effective to repair, but the challenge is just too great to resist. Such is the case here. My charges can't usually approach a down payment on new tops. This is a very small square footage job and with as cheap as granite is today, I knew I'd have to eat some of this, but hey, I wasn't doing anything this afternoon anyway.

The wide seam is caused by the rounded edge on the left side, but the real challenge is eliminating the too-deep edge profiling as seen in the close-up. Of course there is no repair material or back splash from which to steal repair material, and my ogee edge bit does not match this ogee edge profile. I can't resist.

Fortunately the goof-balls that did this, I refuse to dignify them with the term "installers", couldn't measure overhang properly either, meaning they left the right side of the "L" about 1/2" too long. When I flip the piece over making the bottom the top and end for end and burying the too deeply profiled edge at the wall, I'm able to cut the new front edge with room for the required corner radius and provide material to replace the too-deep cut on the left side of the "L" as pictured here.

When the bottom of my ogee bit equals the existing profile, the top of my bit is too high to profile the top cut and round the top shoulder as pictured. I'll have to wing it, so I make the top cut with a small router with a straight bit and a straightedge and freehand the corner radius. Fortunately the homeowner had a can of Pam in the cabinet right above my head so I traced the bottom for a guide. That is not in any fabrication manual, I'm sure.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 12:57

Comments (21)