Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Cup Pulls: Knob on 5 piece TOP Drawer Vs. Using Slab Drawer?

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

We are doing 5 piece flush inset drawers with some detailing on the rails & stiles.

It seems everyone I can think of has done a slab top drawer with cup pulls b/c otherwise a cup pull won't fit well in between the rails (if at all).

Has Anyone done (or can you find pics of) a knob on the top drawer of the stack so you can still do paneled drawer and not slab?

I'm deciding between doing a slab to keep all drawers with cup pulls.... or using a glass knob on top drawers and keeping the 5 panel there.

Any advice or experience with this would be appreciated : )

Comments (21)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Maybe Lalitha's thread from last month will help. She was asking about which kind of hardware (cup pull, bar pull or knob) to put on which kind of drawer and door. There are some good pics and links to Elizpiz's and Segbrown's unbelievable kitchens along with discussion. Maybe it will help?

P.S. I now don't officially suck anymore! I answered your emails! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lalitha's thread

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, you don't : ) Thanks!

I read through but there were slab drawers on the top. I am looking to see if anyone has 5 piece top drawers and used a knob and then used a pull on the rest of the stack below?

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Lol!

So you want to see pics of 3-drawer stacks, each drawer 5 piece, knob on top drawer, and cup pulls on the bottom two drawers?

I've seen that many times, but don't have any pics handy to show you and have to run. I'm positive someone else will post pics.

• springroz
    11 years ago

My cup pulls fit on my 5 piece top drawers.......

Nancy

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

springroz- Oooh- do you have a picture? Is your top drawer standard size? Ours will be 4 3/4" high (if slab). Do you have trouble getting your fingers underneath?

Thanks!

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Fishies--we are also doing 5-piece inset drawers (Rutt New Yorker which also have a bit of detailing) and we decided to do slab top drawers. We are using 4-inch pulls (Forms & Surfaces Sweep pull which is very similar to the Hickory Studio pull). Sorry I don't have pictures. I decided at the last minute that the top drawer seemed too busy with the pull inside the framing and decided to go with the slab top. HTH

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think top drawer is too busy with pull but may do a knob and keep the 5-piece. That's what I'm looking for : )

• lalithar
    11 years ago

fishies,

I think it will look nice mixed up.. As long as the color/ tone of the hardware is the same, it will look nice.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lalitha-
    well, I am doing chrome cup pulls and glass knobs. Definitely the knobs for uppers but thought using them on the small top drawers would be good too instead of cup pulls.

(Or if I do slab drawers, I'll stick with cup pulls : )

• Audry Barber
    11 years ago

Not sure if these are exactly what you're looking for, but they might help

Knobs on top & cup pulls below, all 5-piece:

Cup pulls on all, top is a slab:

• christine40
    11 years ago

we have all 5 piece drawers with cup pulls! Here are some pics:

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes! Thanks : )

It looks fine but idk-- maybe a bit off balance?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christine40- Our posts crossed- just so you know I was referring to the pics Audry posted : )

How high are your drawers in total? And how high is the blank space? and how high are you pulls? LOL A lot of ?s there!

• christine40
    11 years ago

Not sure if you are talking to me about drawers ect: but here goes::

My top drawers are 6" tall, the panel (between the styles) is 3" and the cup pull is 2", it leaves roughly 1/2" above and below (give or take a bit). I purposely found a cup pull that looks longer rather than taller==if that makes sense. Mine are Alno cup pulls.

• springroz
    11 years ago

Here you go.......

My top drawers are only 5" deep total, and that center section is only 3". Those pulls are 5" wide, and I don't have any clearance problems, even though I have big hands. That is why I seached to find a bigger pull!

HTH!!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great info! Thanks : )

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

springroz- How high are your pulls themselves?

• springroz
    11 years ago

Looks like 1 3/8" on my measuring tape.

Nancy

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

I didn't do cup pulls, but I did knobs and pulls. Maybe this helps?

We have two cutting boards making our drawers that much smaller, but the knobs worked on all of our top drawers.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My cab maker said our top drawers will be 4 3/4" and with rails there will be
    1 3/4" space in between for hardware.
    Springroz has 3" space in between and Christine has 6" drawers with 3" in between. That could be the difference.

Out of our 26 drawers, only 8 are small top drawers so maybe I should do slab on those. Looking back I do like the look for the top drawer. I was just "scared" that without a bead they may be too plain but I think with everything else that goes on in a kitchen it will probably look great anyway!

Just making sure with cab maker all the top drawers are 4 3/4" before I make a final decision : )