Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cup Pulls: Knob on 5 piece TOP Drawer Vs. Using Slab Drawer?

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 12:21

We are doing 5 piece flush inset drawers with some detailing on the rails & stiles.

It seems everyone I can think of has done a slab top drawer with cup pulls b/c otherwise a cup pull won't fit well in between the rails (if at all).

Has Anyone done (or can you find pics of) a knob on the top drawer of the stack so you can still do paneled drawer and not slab?

I'm deciding between doing a slab to keep all drawers with cup pulls.... or using a glass knob on top drawers and keeping the 5 panel there.

Any advice or experience with this would be appreciated : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cup Pulls: Knob on 5 piece TOP Drawer Vs. Using Slab Drawer?

Maybe Lalitha's thread from last month will help. She was asking about which kind of hardware (cup pull, bar pull or knob) to put on which kind of drawer and door. There are some good pics and links to Elizpiz's and Segbrown's unbelievable kitchens along with discussion. Maybe it will help?

P.S. I now don't officially suck anymore! I answered your emails! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lalitha's thread

o

No, you don't : ) Thanks!

I read through but there were slab drawers on the top. I am looking to see if anyone has 5 piece top drawers and used a knob and then used a pull on the rest of the stack below?

o

Lol!

So you want to see pics of 3-drawer stacks, each drawer 5 piece, knob on top drawer, and cup pulls on the bottom two drawers?

I've seen that many times, but don't have any pics handy to show you and have to run. I'm positive someone else will post pics.

o

My cup pulls fit on my 5 piece top drawers.......

Nancy

o

springroz- Oooh- do you have a picture? Is your top drawer standard size? Ours will be 4 3/4" high (if slab). Do you have trouble getting your fingers underneath?

Thanks!

o

We're using 5-piece drawers and will end up using drop pulls instead of cup pulls. I specifically picked the pulls and sent the link to our cabinet maker before we decided whether to use slabs or 5 piece drawer fronts. Numerous manufacturers make a similar pull so there are a lot of different finish options. This way I don't have to pick two different pulls for the drawers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Drop pulls

o

Fishies--we are also doing 5-piece inset drawers (Rutt New Yorker which also have a bit of detailing) and we decided to do slab top drawers. We are using 4-inch pulls (Forms & Surfaces Sweep pull which is very similar to the Hickory Studio pull). Sorry I don't have pictures. I decided at the last minute that the top drawer seemed too busy with the pull inside the framing and decided to go with the slab top. HTH

o

I think top drawer is too busy with pull but may do a knob and keep the 5-piece. That's what I'm looking for : )

o

fishies,

I think it will look nice mixed up.. As long as the color/ tone of the hardware is the same, it will look nice.

o

Lalitha-
well, I am doing chrome cup pulls and glass knobs. Definitely the knobs for uppers but thought using them on the small top drawers would be good too instead of cup pulls.

(Or if I do slab drawers, I'll stick with cup pulls : )

o

Not sure if these are exactly what you're looking for, but they might help

Knobs on top & cup pulls below, all 5-piece:

Cup pulls on all, top is a slab:

o

we have all 5 piece drawers with cup pulls! Here are some pics:

P1010626
P1010620

o

Yes! Thanks : )

It looks fine but idk-- maybe a bit off balance?

o

Christine40- Our posts crossed- just so you know I was referring to the pics Audry posted : )

How high are your drawers in total? And how high is the blank space? and how high are you pulls? LOL A lot of ?s there!

o

Not sure if you are talking to me about drawers ect: but here goes::

My top drawers are 6" tall, the panel (between the styles) is 3" and the cup pull is 2", it leaves roughly 1/2" above and below (give or take a bit). I purposely found a cup pull that looks longer rather than taller==if that makes sense. Mine are Alno cup pulls.

o

Here you go.......

My top drawers are only 5" deep total, and that center section is only 3". Those pulls are 5" wide, and I don't have any clearance problems, even though I have big hands. That is why I seached to find a bigger pull!

HTH!!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

o

Great info! Thanks : )

o

springroz- How high are your pulls themselves?

o

Looks like 1 3/8" on my measuring tape.

Nancy

o

I didn't do cup pulls, but I did knobs and pulls. Maybe this helps?

We have two cutting boards making our drawers that much smaller, but the knobs worked on all of our top drawers.

Photobucket

o

My cab maker said our top drawers will be 4 3/4" and with rails there will be
1 3/4" space in between for hardware.
Springroz has 3" space in between and Christine has 6" drawers with 3" in between. That could be the difference.

Out of our 26 drawers, only 8 are small top drawers so maybe I should do slab on those. Looking back I do like the look for the top drawer. I was just "scared" that without a bead they may be too plain but I think with everything else that goes on in a kitchen it will probably look great anyway!

Just making sure with cab maker all the top drawers are 4 3/4" before I make a final decision : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here