Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limed or Pickled Cabinets

Posted by MuleHouse (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 12:20

Limed cabinets are something I've always wanted and now that I'm working with an independent cabinet maker instead of Lowe's, it's an option I can explore.

Has anyone here had limed cabinets and have thoughts, pro or con they might like to share with me? What wood was used? I've always thought of 'Limed Oak' but the cabinet maker is proffering Poplar.

Are there some woods that will be better for this application than others?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limed or Pickled Cabinets

My personal opinion is that a grained wood like Oak or Ash look better with limed (aka pickled or cerused) finishes, than other woods with little grain

I use poplar when I want a painted finish that is very smooth, because there is fine grain that does not show with a painted finish. I don't know how it would look with a pickled finished because there is little grain to pick up the finish.

o
RE: Limed or Pickled Cabinets

Thank you so much Palimpsest. That would probably be why the words 'Limed Oak' are what I've seen written in the past.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here