Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmmh_gw

Can counters with "lines" work on an L?

kmmh
10 years ago

Love some of the marble/quartzite counters that are linear (i.e. luce di luna) How do they look on an L countertop run, where the lines would be running the long way on one side and then the short way on the other part of the L? Or do people try to miter in the corner? Is this a product used best on islands and straight counter runs only?
Any pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I definitely would not install it with the lines running long on one side and short on the other, but I think it would look great if properly cut/installed with the lines running the long way on both sides of the L.

• RoRo67
    10 years ago

Properly done, the lines should all lean the same way, regardless of the shape of the countertops.

Make sure when they template that you go to the fabrication shop and have them show you where they will be cutting from to ensure the lines run the right way. This is an essential part of the process.

Take photos of the layout in case it comes out wrong, you will have a leg to stand on to get it corrected.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    10 years ago

Normally the linear flow of the grain is parallel with the wall so there is a grain interface in the corner. Properly done it's not a big problem but you are well advised to work the layout of the parts on the slab(s) with the fabricator prior to sawing.

YOu can do a mitered (45 degree) seam in the corner but should expect it to cost more as it requires an additional 4 sq. ft. of material vs. a normal but joint.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Our fabricator worked two potential layouts for our granite (Kashmir Gold) with "lines":

and

Which ended up like:

We were fortunate that we didn't need a seam in the L piece.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

This can be handled multiple ways. One is what suzanne showed where the line direction is kept the same so it runs perpendicular on one side of the L.

Another that can be particularlly nice with book matched slabs is to have a diagonal seam from the inside of the corner to the outside with the grain matched at the seam so that the grain runs the long way on both sides.

The long direction of our counter was almost as wide as the length plus the width of our slabs and the short direction was shorter than the length of our slabs (but longer than the width) and we preferred to have only one seam. If we did either of the other two choices, we would have two seams.

The grain on our stone wasn't straight, it was sort of diagonal in some areas and swirly in others. We were able to place the templates on the slabs so that the two sides of the seam were in a swirly area and the seam was at our sink near the corner of the L. So the grain changes direction at the sink, but it looks right because it swirls anyway there. That wouldn't look right with a stone that has extremely straight grain.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

cloud_swift, if you would, could you post a photo of that corner seam you talk about in the granite success stories thread? I think people are afraid to even ask for such things, fearful that it will turn out a mess. Love the blue granite, BTW!

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

I don't have a corner seam. Mine is in the sink a couple of inches to the left of the faucet. I've seen pictures of the kind of book matched corner seam I mentioned in the past, but I couldn't find a good example when I looked for one to illustrate my post. I tried another search and found one - about 4 pictures down in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.thestonestudio.biz/backsplash__blog_/?y=2011&m=7

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

Suzan,thank you. Our stone is Azul do Mar quartzite.

Where is the granite success stories thread? I missed that one.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

These threads come and go so fast, it's hard to keep up! I wanted a thread for archive purposes on projects where the granite went in just like it was supposed to vs mis-measures, horrible seams, wall gaps, etc. Those things happen, of course, but I didn't want all the newbies to be scared witless or for them to believe second rate fabricators who tell them that X can't be done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite Success Stories