Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamasheshe

Mexican Backsplash Tile is Here!!!

mamasheshe
11 years ago

It will be installed next week if it rains. Contractor has an outside job scheduled for next week. Unfortunately, it is rainy this week and forecasted to be sunny next week.

The vertical tile will go in the area behind the cooktop and range hood. Then 4 rows horizontally along the bottom of the remaining bs separated from white tile with the blue pencil. The white tile will be brick stacked, but I laid it out straight on the floor.

Getting close!

Comments (22)

• sqp1015
    11 years ago

Be still, my color-and-pattern loving heart!! Love it, mamasheshe! Just me, but I wouldn't do brick stack for white - it's just not my thing, and I think straight gives eye some rest after all that color movement gorgeousness. It's going to be spectacular - doing a rain dance for you!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Oh, but I think the brick stack will play nicely without being to busy JBGB.

What fun tile!!! I can't wait to see it installed.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

Where did you get that? Or who makes it? That's just gorgeous.

• mamasheshe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The tile is from Tierra Y Fuego in the San Diego area. Shipped UPS and only one small piece broke.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mixed Deco Mexican Mosaic Tile

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Praying for rain next week!

I like the white laid out straight. That's probably one of the busiest and most colorful splashes ever, so I'd want the simplest grout pattern possible for the squares.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I hadn't seen that version of Mexican tile before.

I brick-stacked our 4x4s in our shower, so obviously I like it, although I can see the desirability of keeping it simple. Straight stack gives a modern look, without movement. I really don't see very much movement in my tile, more a lack of...no movement? :)

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Ooooh - so exciting! I'm so excited to see your backsplash and Little Fishes entire kitchen. Hoping for rain!

• eam44
    11 years ago

mama - everything is looking so beautiful! It seems like a couple of weeks ago everything was just boards with GWers quibbling about the best color combinations - now the counter is in, pendants are up, and you're holding the tile in your hands. Amazing! I love this mosaic and can't wait to see "after" images!

• Fori
    11 years ago

Talavera makes me happy. Gutsy choice and I approve wholeheartedly!

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

LOVE IT!!!

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

That is so cool. Never have seen anything like it before.

• mamasheshe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aha! Something about posting on here gets my juices flowing. I think on the perimeter backsplash, I'll rip off the strips and set them vertically too, like the cooktop area, and then stack the white tile straight. Will look much better, I think.

EAM, when I think of the people who have helped move me in the process, you're one of the first who come to mind. I can't wait to see the "after" images either. And just wait til you see my "before" pictures! What a transformation this is!

Fori, talavera makes me happy too. I'm thrilled to be paying homage to Mexico in a stylish and modern way. And yes, I love being called "Gutsy." I used to be gutsy, and then I had 5 children. Now gutsy means letting them do things. I used to be the one doing things!

Forecast for next week:
    Monday mostly sunny 0% chance of rain
    Tuesday sunny 0% chance of rain
    Wednesday sunny 0% chance of rain
    Thursday sunny 0% chance of rain
    Friday CLOUDY 10% CHANCE OF RAIN

Do you think that front could come in early? I hope so!!!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Where are you. We are supposed to go bicycling in SC next week and supposed to rain all week so might change plans. Or maybe we can send the r a in your way!
    Sure looking forward to another ABB alumnus!
    That is one colorful and cheerful backsplash!

• mamasheshe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in the St. Louis metro area. So that tile came a long way. But there is literally nothing else like it! Yes, please, send the rain! Or if not, come here to cycle. The weather will be gorgeous. Check out the Katy Trail. Great (flat) cycling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Katy Trail

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Love the tile, what fabulous colors. Kitchen looks great- are those 30" CT's on the left? Looks nice and wide.

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

Mamasheshe, you're my hero! Colorful, bold, fun and beautiful! It just makes me smile!

• mamasheshe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oldbat, the CT on the left is actually a 37-1/2" peninsula with counter seating. Thanks. I'm so excited about my tile. It's a bold choice, to be sure, but one that I know will make me happy.

• youngdeb
    11 years ago

OOh, I like the new plan, that tile is great - something classic, rethought. What color grout? White?

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Oh my oh my oh my I LOVE that tile! Sending rain your way....

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I love that tile!

BTW, it's slices of their regular tile lines. Uses up small lots and tiles with broken corners really well. Costs more because of the labor in the slicing.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

So very cool and different looking - can't wait to see the gorgeous final pics! Have fun :-)

• mamasheshe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is now a 10% chance of rain on Monday!! Clinging to shreds of hope. Keep up that rain dancing!!!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery