Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for white paint in Black Anthracite sink, PLEASE!

Posted by sandesurf (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 12:19

Hi, I'm writing for my neighbor, who just re-modeled most of her house, including a new kitchen, and paint in every room. She's about to retire, and spent her savings on something she really wanted...
Anyway, the painters washed their paint brushes in her brand new, granite composite, Anthracite sink! She didn't notice until a few days later, but now there's a white filmy look, that she can't wash away, on the bottom of her sink! The contractor is paying for the sink, but that's not the point. She'd still like it to look new! It is undermounted to a new Corian counter. Do any of you have a miracle cure??
Thank you!

Anthracite

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for white paint in Black Anthracite sink, PLEASE!

Here are some things she can try:

Here is a link that might be useful: silgranit care

o

Hmmm, not having a utility sink and planning on two silgranits in the new kitchen...paint rinsing causing staining definitely makes me rethink that. Because I've never met a contractor who could clean up properly or with basic respect of the homeowners' things.

Perhaps when he pays for the sink, he can pay to have a new one installed. It's probably just clipped to the underside of the counter rather than integrated like a Corian sink would be.

o

She might try Magic Eraser. I've read many reports on line about how great it is. But she should read the Magic Eraser usage conditions before doing this.

o

Thanks everyone! I'll send her the link to this thread
:)

o

A painter did the same thing in my kitchen - only I have a vintage porcelain sink. Sure it doesn't look brand spanking new but he didn't have to assume he could wash his brushes in there. I was so surprised that he didn't even ask.

o

Am I missing something?
If the contractor is paying for the sink, why not just replace it?

o

I'd start with Goof Off as it will get almost anything off. Use a stiff bristled scrub brush to get into the "texture" of the sink after letting it set for a while> If that didn't work, then Barkeeper's Friend. Follow up any of these with a light coat of mineral oil on the sink to restore it's darkness, just like you would soapstone. If it's still not coming off at that point, then replace it. If she installed the proper size sink cabinet and didn't go too small and scoop the sides, replacing a like sink with a like sink is a piece of cake for any counter installer.

o

I, cleaned one up by using baking soda that was the same as you stated. Put the baking soda all over the butom of the sink or where the paint is damp the soda little and let it set for a hour or so.Than take a steel scouring pad you can get them at Wal-Mart, and scub on it. It cleaned up like a new.

o

I, cleaned one up by using baking soda that was the same as you stated. Put the baking soda all over the butom of the sink or where the paint is damp the soda little and let it set for a hour or so.Than take a steel scouring pad you can get them at Wal-Mart, and scub on it. It cleaned up like a new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here