Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Install vinyl plank flooring under cabinets?

Posted by CamG (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 12:19

Hi,
We are nearing completion of our house, but the cabinets are on backorder. I am going to install the vinyl plank flooring in the kitchen and much of the main floor. During this delay, the builder has suggested I lay this before the cabinets, and then set the cabinets on top of it. Certainly this would be easier than trimming around cabinets and the island. The vinyl planks are apparently extremely durable, so I'm not terribly concerned about them getting damaged. And I suppose if we change flooring in the future and I need to rip out the stuff, I could always just cut the vinyl right at the toe kick. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Install vinyl plank flooring under cabinets?

Nevermind, apparently this would void the warranty.

o

I see you learned not to, our install goes the day after tomorrow, November 7th. We are using Tarkett Transcend. For the entire main living area, kitchen, den, dining room, 1/2 bath and entry foyer.

My GC and everyone says "good luck on that". But I know its the right thing to do........isn't it?

o

Setting your cabinets on top of the flooring would void the warranty?

o

We are using a glue down Mannington vinyl in an office remodel on a slab. Our cabinets will go over the vinyl.

This thread scared me so I called my flooring company just now. She said that the cabinets should go over the flooring as planned unless it is a floating floor which ours is not.

She told me Tarkett Transcend is a floating floor. Do not put cabinets over this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here