Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaleen

Chroma countertop

Donaleen Kohn
11 years ago

I've pretty much settled on using Zodiaq Wintergreen for my counter top but I did order some samples for some other materials that fascinate me. One of them is 3Form Chroma,which is a resin material. It came yesterday. It is super cool.

It glows in just about any kind of light. The color I ordered is called Aloe. Their website is kind of sucky but if you work hard at it, you can find a fair amount of information. The sample I have is pretty translucent, as you can see. On their website, they talk about ways to change how translucent it is.

Anyway here are some

photos.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I took the last two photos are of my sample. Forgot to say that.

• drewem
    11 years ago

Now that is something you don't see everyday! It's pretty neat!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

That is pretty cool. Any idea of how much it costs?

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not a clue how much it costs. As I said, their website is pretty hard to use.

Here is a link if you want to try...

Here is a link that might be useful: Chroma

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There website is treating me a little better today...when I put in my zip code, I got a contact name here in Portland whereas before, I was getting an error.

We will see what she has to say. I do love the material. Maybe when we redo our bathroom.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got in touch with the rep... It comes in 4x8 sheets (you have to buy a whole sheet). 1" thick is $1600 and 2" thick is $3400....she says it's easy to work with and most subcontractors who work in wood or glass can install it.

If I send her an email she will send me a list of local contractors with experience.

I still love how it looks.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Thanks. That's actually a lot better than I thought it would be, considering that it comes from 3-form.

• justmakeit
    11 years ago

That is gorgeous and exotic stuff! Any idea from manhandling your samples how durable it is? (Although I'm not sure I'd want to manhandle the samples, just put them on a table and watch them glow!) I wish I were daring enough to do a super modern kitchen...

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It seems pretty durable..harder to scratch than solid surface like Corian.

It IS beautiful. I carry it around and put it on top of different surfaces like tables and such. I really, really like it.

Here is the link for working with it, which I found after my last post.

Here is a link that might be useful: fabrication

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Any idea what sort of underlayment would be best to make the most of the material?

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is a PDF on installation that has a lot of information. The site is loaded with information but it's a lot to take in.

What I have noticed myself about moving it around to various sites is

--it changes so much based on what it is on top of (my sample really is translucent).

--I really like it on top of a white background in front of North facint window.

Get yourself a sample and play with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: chroma

• claybabe
    11 years ago

I think I will! Thank you!

• deedles
    11 years ago

That's incredibly beautiful stuff!

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been carrying it around everywhere and trying it everywhere so much that my DH is getting nervous. He says he is going to drill a hole in the corner of my sample and put it on a string so I can wear it around my neck.

I've put him on notice that I AM having some, somewhere...

• kinei
    11 years ago

Hmm, to me it sounds like a plastic like HDPE. If you can heat it up and bend it, seems like it would scratch pretty easily.

• kinei
    11 years ago

On the plus side it should be really easy to work with.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Wow, that is really cool. I'll check out the site, it looks really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

• lexma90
    10 years ago

I also love this material - I'm considering using it as the countertop in my study/office in the house we're building. Did you end up using Chroma from 3-Form? If so, what do you think of it now?