Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lopay_gw

Induction burner for temp kitchen good idea?

LoPay
10 years ago

Is it worth it to get a single induction burner for a temporary kitchen?

I'm installing a gas cooktop, but could use an induction burner after the renovation for entertaining or slow cooking.

Anything good on Amazon?

Comments (5)

• meangoose
    10 years ago

It depends on how often you plan to cook in your temp kitchen. I bought one for mine on Amazon and found it useful. It's nice that it didn't get hot as I was concerned about fire risk in such a cramped temp kitchen. You'll want to consider your electrical setup - mine drew so much power that I couldn't run it and the microwave in the temp kitchen at the same time without blowing a breaker.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

We bought one at Fred Meyer - and not only are we thoroughly enjoying it, it sold us on going with an induction range. Go figure!

Being able to make soup, pasta and eggs and just basic items is really nice. But, we are DYI'ing and as it turns out, in it for the long haul!

This post was edited by Steph2000 on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 15:04

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

It was fantastic! We used a Max Burton single induction from Amazon in the temp kitchen. It was supposed to be for 6 months but ended up being the main cooktop for 2 years due to delays in our remodel. It worked so well and so efficiently that it convinced us to install an induction cooktop for the new kitchen. Love the fast response and no heat. Now I am using the single job max burton for canning outdoors.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

If you have no other cooking method except a MW and portable oven, I think you will really like havng a portable induction burner during the reno.

We bought a Viking portable unit which turned out to a great thing. I'm building a permanent place for it in the final kitchen plan, I like it so much.

You may think you could get away without boiling or steaming something, and you probably can for a few weeks. But sometimes weeks run longer and then you get desperate for something as simple as a hard-boiled egg.

I use my portable unit nearly everyday.

L>

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I used my portable induction in our temp kitchen - loved it!
    Now I use it for travel.
    As long as you have a couple of vessels- go for it. Ours is a Cosi or something like that.
    I also used our delonghi toaster oven(similar to breville) and used the crock pot once. Our GC set up our range MW from our old kitchen
    I also froze a ton of stuff.
    I was a bit different than most - I had one plate, bowl, place setting, and glass for each of us and washed in laundry tub(with a clean wash basin) after each meal.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath