Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with insets for cabinets

Posted by CT_Newbie (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 12:06

Hi all, attached is my layout. Any thoughts on where to put pullouts/insets, etc.? I have 3 year olds so at some point, they will be old enough to get their own bowl of cereal in the AM, and I am thinking one of the lower shelves would hold their bowls/cereal etc. Also, we do arts and crafts at the EIK table to the right of the kitchen. Not sure if I should switch one set of the pullouts by the stove top to the smaller cabinet on the end of the wall with the window, near the EIN

I am not that tall so wondering if I need any sort of pull down for one of the upper cabinets or will I only be getting stuff from the very top once in a while and will just use a step stool.

Lastly, should we put cabinets in above the fridge. The KD left them off for cost savings. I was thinking we might as well have cabinets there in case we need extra storage since I am getting rid of the pantry and putting in a mudroom.

Any other thoughts on a place to locate the brooms besides creating a small closet attached to the mudroom just for the swiffer and compact broom?

What do you think of the location of the glass panels? A bunch of other kitchens I've seen have the top panel of each cabinet glass. For some reason, we didn't think that was necessary on the stovetop with the hood. I figure I will put four tea kettles at the very top of the glass cabinets for display

Anything else I haven't thought of?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with insets for cabinets

Here are the elevations. Thanks

o

CT, your drawings are very light and difficult to read. I'll just make some general comments.

Do I understand that you are doing a kitchen remodel with 3-yr-ol twins? Good luck to you! My twins are 19. When they were old enough to fix their own breakfast, we simply left the cereal box, bowls, and spoons on the table the night before, and poured an appropriate amount of milk into 2 glasses in the fridge, so they didn't have to wrestle a full milk jug. They were taller than me by age 10, so there was only a short time when they couldn't reach anything they needed.

Drawers are better than pullouts, and probably about the same cost, since both require drawer glide hardware. It is much more efficient to open a drawer than to open a door (or two) and slide out a pullout.

Lots of people put tray/cookie sheet storage above the fridge. How much do you save by eliminating it? I'm guessing it's cheaper to do it now than it would be to try to add it later.

o

I am not loving the look of those cabinets to the left and right of range. I would definitely do drawers. It's just a much better look and much more functional. To me, those two cabinets look like sink cabinets. Also, speaking from experience (I have 18 yo twins in addition to an older one), I would not plan a long-lasting remodel around three year-olds. They grow up very quickly, unfortunately, and to compound things, you will have a kitchen built around their needs. Build what works for the adults in the house.

o

Hi Ladies,

Thank you! Yes, I don't know why they are so hard to read. Originally, I had a PDF but since it had my address on it, I copied it into ppt and then covered up the address and saved as a picture. I tried taking a photo of it with a camera but I didn't think you could see the detail. The hardcopy I have is huge so it won't fit on my scanner. Any other suggestions?

Good point about the kids growing up quickly. And thank you for the breakfast ideas.

NYC - originally, the KD had drawn them as you had suggested. She had the cabinets under the stove top and the wide drawers on both sides. However, I felt like I wanted my pots/pans to be pullouts right in front and that it looked like I had too many drawers. I will look at her old drawing again. Maybe it's one of those 50/50 things but I might drive her crazy if I change it again. :)

So it sounds like it is fine to have the cabinet on the right end just with shelves and the one on the left is a pullout for the corner (we're talking on the wall with the sink)

It might be $500 to add the cabinets above the refrigerator but I'll ask. Maybe she can give those to me at cost since we didn't ask for an additional discount on the price she gave us and we upgraded to the maple/plywood.

o

I don't think it's possible to have too many drawers!

My Mom's house was built in 1977; her builder was also a cabinetmaker, and built all the cabs in the house. He put in pull-outs in a base cabinet next to the range, where Mom put her pots and pans.

In 35 years, I can't think of very many times when the pullouts have actually been pulled out. Instead, the most-used pots and pans are in the front, and one door is opened to grab the one we want. We tend to kneel down to get what's in the back. In other words, the pull-out is used as a shelf.

Drawers, especially with full-extension glides, allow the whole space to be visible, with one motion. In my new kitchen, drawers house cake pans (stored vertically, not stacked), frying pans, Tupperware, and canisters of flour, sugar, rice, etc. Others use drawers for plates, bowls and glasses.

Your KD will be much happier to change drawings now than to try to change a cabinet order later! Don't sign off until you get exactly what you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here