Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rovo_gw

Countertops are in! Can you help with cab color & bs?

rovo
11 years ago

I am grateful for the help I have received so far from GWers on my budget kitchen facelift. Thank you! Now that the countertops are in, I am ready to choose cabinet paint and go through the dreaded bs decision process:) I am hoping that some of you might share your design expertise on these choices and let me know if what I am envisioning will work in this small space.

The kitchen itself is tiny (10x6), but in an open floor plan connected to a nook and family room. I find it functional and chose not to change the cabs because they are in good shape, just orangey maple. Here is what it looks like with the new river white granite (love!), silgranite metallic grey sink (double love) and new oven and cooktop. The horrible OTR micro and cabinet above is being replaced by a SS chimney style vent hood (in transit). Floors will be medium cherry wood (not reddish in tone). Here is a pic looking into kitchen from the nook. My apologies for the poor photo quality and state of dissaray:

A close up of the river white:

I would like to have a grey kitchen, and am considering painting the uppers lighter than the lower bank. I am not terribly concerned about darkening the kitchen as it gets a lot of light from upper rectory windows and the adjoining rooms, but I do want to avoid a cave effect. I painted 3 large swatches of board with BM whites, but the effect was stark next to the wall color in the space (BM HC-23). So, I'm thinking about this combo:BM revere pewter or sea pearl uppers, and Chelsea grey lowers. I like this true white, plain subway tile, but could be persuaded otherwise:)

Am I going too contrasty/dark? Are there other greys that might look nicer and still coordinate with the current room color? I realize that I will need to see the colors in my space, but would like to at least narrow the choices down before spending $$$ on paint.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas you might have!

Comments (7)

• eam44
    11 years ago

Not too contrast-y, not too grey - it'll be a pretty combination. Of the choices you've listed, I'd go with Chelsea Gray for the lowers (HC172) and Revere Pewter for the uppers (HC168).

Yorkshire Tan HC23

Revere Pewter

Chelsea Gray

Your choice of white subway tile is classic and simple. As an alternative I'd choose glass subway or mosaic tile that evokes the color of South Sea Pearl, something like this glass mosaic below.

Here's how it all looks together with your granite. I hope you enjoy your new space!

• MuleHouse
    11 years ago

I'm a monochromatic person myself, so 'going gray' sounds exciting to me. Love your granite and I'd build the colors around it. Do you have access to home improvement stores with their banks of stained cabinet door samples. I used those while trying to come to terms with what I want in my new kitchen. It was admittedly a daunting task! Really, I thought I'd never be able to make a decision and stay with it.

I've now turned my cabinet project over to a cabinet maker, who will be sending me samples of custom stain mixes.

I love your kitchen and the display area above them. On my monitor your cabinets are a beautiful shade.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

You have a wonderful space to work with. As I view your pictures, I am drawn to the burgundy in your lovely, flowing River White countertop. I see for example, that you have a burgundy candle on the counter.

I'm wondering if your lower cabinets painted in a rich bordeaux color (burgundy with hint of chocolate undertones), with lighter Revere Pewter for the uppers might be elegant together with the pearl glass BS. Regrettably, I can't do color boards but perhaps Eam44 or other could put one up.

Wonderful kitchen-love the Silgranite metallic gray sink and SS appliances.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

You are definitely on the right track. Love your ideas. Your granite is beautiful. That's a really nice piece of river white. The slabs around here look nothing like that. Good job!!! I love the revere pewter not sure about the chelsea gray. I know what you mean about the orange maple. I'd love to paint mine that have gotten orange over the years. But I'm a chicken and I can't really afford to hire it done. Can't wait to see yours done, it's going to be beautiful.

• rovo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much! It's so nice to get feedback from the experts here.

EAM, I love the color boards you do for people. Really helps me visualize the final look. Funny you should suggest glass tile for the bs--that was my initial idea, but I haven't found one that doesn't pull green in my kitchen. Even the Yorkshire tan wall paint looks greener than it does here.

I like your idea of incorporating the burgundy, SparklingWater. I was thinking of putting a burgundy pendant or two above the peninsula. Hadn't even thought of using it on the cabs! Hmmmm, more to think about.

Looking forward to seeing your cabs when you are finished pinkpaula. I am DIY'ing too!

Thanks again for taking the time to hold my hand through this:) I'll be sure to post progress (and hopefully soon, finished) pics.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Nice clean lines, functional, very pretty.