Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandmtn_gw

Anyone repaint a wall oven door? How did it turn out?

sandmtn_gw
9 years ago

I've been lurking here for quite some time while planning a complete kitchen remodel in a 1968 brick rancher. We've had to postpone the work several times over a number of years. I (really do) believe that we can start the work early next year and so am trying to think things through to get a realistic vision for the new kitchen. I have a plan for the layout - largely based on my lurking here - thanks to you all for the information and experience sharing you do here!

The trouble is that I have bought quite a few items that I was sure (at the time) will be perfect! One of those items is a very "bluey-white" wall oven - the Bosch HBL5420UC. It's a floor model and can't be returned now.

Now my color scheme vision for the new kitchen is either light/white painted perimeter cabinets and a dark(er) painted island or light/white painted uppers and tall cabs with a dark island and base cabs. And walls painted with the same light color as on the cabs for a monochromatic look above the countertops.

The only white/light paint chips that look good with the oven are cool gray/blue whites. For example, Farrow and Ball Blackened, Pavilion Gray, and Cornforth White chips look great with it. But F&B All White goes warm! I love cool grays and blues but my house is overwhelmingly warm - an open plan with Douglas Fir windows, doors and trim, Rosewood flooring, weathered-copper colored leather furniture, dark reddish stained cherry dining furniture, brass door hardware - I did say overwhelmingly! To boot, I've already bought a weathered copper apron front sink for the new kitchen.

A small (I think) complication is that I have also purchased a Gaggenau aluminum-front steam oven that I was planning to install in a tall cab above the white Bosch - so those would probably look good together with the right white painted cabinets. The trouble is that the "right" white looks blue next to the Douglas Fir windows which then enhances the orange. I don't really think the aluminum Gaggenau will be a problem unless I put in a stainless steel oven. At least for me, I think it's easier to overlook metal-against-paint cool/warm conflicts.

It's the white Bosch that is causing me quite a bit of anguish. I'm afraid that if I choose a warm white, the "bluey" white oven will become the focal point of the kitchen. Or if I choose a cooler white to "hide" the oven, there will be too much volume of cool against the warm orange and reds in the house.

So should I repaint the wall oven a preferred/warm white? I would trust our local auto body shop to do the painting.

It also occurred to me that maybe I can choose a slightly warm white for the cabs and walls and then take the focus off the oven by creating a bigger focus using the countertops since the counters (island mainly) will be in all views of the oven. Then would the counters incorporate the cool gray white colors? My head is spinning!

PS Does anyone know if the aluminum regular Gaggenau single ovens are still available? I haven't been able to find one.

Comments (8)

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My first inclination is to sell the Bosch. Will you be happy with whatever color you choose? The local body shop can paint the door, but imust use a specific paint for high temps. Hubs has painted several appliances (and a casket or two) with success. Prep, product and application are key to a long lasting finish.

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago

Double post

This post was edited by motherof3sons on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 11:49

• Zoladub Dub
    9 years ago

does it affect the warranty?

• sandmtn_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

motherof3sons, Thanks for responding. I am so glad to hear that it can be done with success. But does success mean that it doesn't look like its been painted and that there has been no finish failure? And no failure for what time frame? Do you mind posting a photo of the finish? And did your Hubs use a process similar to what a auto body shop would use? We know the shop's owner and I do trust their work on auto painting. Just looking to get some confidence in repainting the oven because right now it sounds like the best solution.

I spoke with the owner's son who told me they have something like 1000 whites available. He suggested I bring some paint chips to compare to theirs to try and get a close match. I think I would be ok with most any warm white that I could find a match for.

I thought about selling it but I would probably still have a color matching dilemma. I don't think stainless would look good with the aluminum Gagg and I don't want solid black.

I'm thinking that the painted part of the oven door would not get hotter than a car might if, for example, it was sitting in the desert on a hot day. I don't think I've ever touched the oven door while on so not sure of how hot it would get. My existing oven is old and the seal is failed so I don't think I could use it to judge expected temperatures. I would love to get some feedback about door temperatures that some of you are seeing.

pzbbbbd, Good point and thanks for asking - but in this case, I've had the oven for a couple of years and so any warranty is over. Was really convinced that we would be moving forward on the remodel then but didn't happen!

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Depending upon what finish you want, auto painters and body shops do paint engines. Since you have a trusted one, ask about the temp condition. I know my oven doesn't get hot on the outside, but doors go through past the insulation and this could pose a problem. Interesting know if it can be done. And interesting you chose blue, since it is opposite of your color norms. I would sell it and buy something that goes with your other appliances.

Here is a link that might be useful: gaggenau

• sandmtn_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

technicolor, Good idea about possibility of engine paint. I will inquire about that when I go back to the shop.

I just looked at my oven door and see that the painted sheet metal front wraps a glass sheet (same size as door front) by about 3/16". There is a small air gap separating the glass sheet from the enameled door structure that would then be pressed against the oven cavity surround when closed. Still it's hard to know without having it demonstrated how it will hold up that close to oven temperatures!

I am also thinking that I may try to work with it as is and if it just looks too out of place, then have it painted. By that time I should know if high temp paint is needed.

It is really a white that has a blue undertone rather than a real blue - I was totally convinced when I bought it that it was pure white. But I didn't know about subtle warm and cool whites back then.

Thanks helping me work this out.

• sandmtn_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

practigal, That's an excellent idea! And we'd have so much fun changing our colors!