Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mags438_gw

I'm soo over this kitchen! Pls help me commit

Mags438
9 years ago

I am soo over this kitchen but can't get it finished! I can't seem to commit to the final phase. Kitchen is a small, enclosed space in a 100 + years old home. This is the last remodel/update of this kitchen during my lifetime, so it's in a traditional/classic style. My kitchen is 'stuck' between traditional and something else. White cabs, (green underlying hue) soapstone counters (oops but love them), black matte hood, and dark floors. My thinking was, foundation elements could be boring (like us), with accessories providing color. I'm feeling another of my 'mistake' phases coming on, as I want to be done with this kitchen. My mistake phase means I am weak and pick out the first thing that fits the bill. Doesn't matter if it doesn't *really* work - I've made a decision. Then I'm really unhappy with things before the project finishes. Happens every time and I really can't afford this to happen with the kitchen. *Big* thanks to anybody who can come up with something that will work. Issues:

- need a tile backsplash design behind stove. Initially going with a stainless steel backsplash with a wire shelf. Didn't work out. Want to go with tile. A reasonable price point at this final phase, but not sure what a reasonable price point is, at this stage. Had hood install issues, it is what it is. The hood is not level along the back wall. Left side sits higher than far right side. This needs to be taken into account for tile design. It's an L shaped kitchen layout. I'm partial to subway tile but really need to be open to anything. I purchased the stove's 5" riser, but I still have the island trim for back of stove if that would work better. (Unable to commit).

I don't know how to post multiple pics, so another post will show room elements

Comments (46)

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

- pic shows other elements in the room. I can eventually switch out the stained glass insert for something more modern. ÃÂ I need window treatments for a double hung and a casement window. I was thinking sheer/semi- roller shades since I'd prolly like the dbl hung window covered at all times since it is closer to neighbor's house. ÃÂ Window sheers are really popular in these homes, but kitchen seems a bit tailored for billowing panel sheers...I think. I think both windows in small room needs same treatment.

Please help me finish this room!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I'm useless with backsplash however it doesn't look like you have knobs yet. Have you chosen anything yet? I can see vintagey looking glass knobs in this space. Slightly out of the box but pretty and interesting. Ignore this if it's interfering.

Leave the stained glass insert. It would look great with glass knobs. :)

Do you have a whole-room pic?

This post was edited by blfenton on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 12:15

• romy718
    9 years ago

Really pretty & striking hood & your soapstone is beautiful. Are you putting backsplash in other areas other than behind the stove. Any colors you'd like be open to?
    Don't rush the backsplash. It can make or break all the hard work & beautiful choices you've made so far.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

fyrfytr5 has just finished a white kitchen with soapstone counters in his 100 year old house, and used a green glass backsplash. This photo is from his album that he linked, but be sure to check his reveal post. He has a photo of directly over the range with hood which will give you an idea how that looks.

Have to say that I love your art deco stained glass. I'd keep it and use the red/yellow/green as accent colors in this space. For over the sink window, how about a simple roller-type shade? I have one that is light-filtering and un-obtrusive. Generally, your eyes just pass on by, which was the idea in my space.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

It seems to me that the lines of just about any tile will accentuate the out-of-level problems you have with the range hood. Because of that, I like the idea of a solid piece of stainless behind the range as it could help to camouflage that problem. Perhaps setting the tile diagonally could help to camouflage the issue, I'm not sure? Or maybe a tile pattern that isn't so linear? In any case, I would try to draw the eye away from the backspash in that area. IMO, subways would accentuate the problem.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Depending on the tile chosen - what about a herring bone pattern behind the stove? You could do linear in the rest of the space and do a transition at the edge of the stove starting it level with the counter.

Because it's off angle it won't be so noticeable. If someone is standing in front of the stove I'm not sure that the slight off-alignment of a herring bone pattern at the top will be noticed,

Just a thought.

This post was edited by blfenton on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 13:32

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I like the idea of the SS behind the range too - will be MUCH easier for cleanup anyway. I also like the idea of plain white glazed subway tiles - would look very classic in that kitchen. I think the crystal knobs would be very pretty too. Love what you've done so far!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I'm sorry you're having "design/construction fatigue." Your kitchen is gorgeous. I love your hood!

Since a design might emphasize that the hood is off (although, it doesn't look it in the photos you've posted), have you considered a solid glass backsplash?

• ChristineTse
    9 years ago

Have you thought of using the same soapstone for the back of your stove only? I see alot off different element in your kitchen and with the backsplash you want to keep it nice and simple. You don't want to add more busyness to it. The soapstone behind stove would keep it simple and matches your countertop.

And the rest of the backsplash could be a standard 3 x 6 subway tile that matches the lightest color on the soapstone. Hope this helps.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"Have you thought of using the same soapstone for the back of your stove only?"

" ... have you considered a solid glass backsplash?"

Good ideas.

" ... what about a herring bone pattern behind the stove?"

This might work, too.

• EurekaHD
    9 years ago

Why didn't the stainless steel backsplash work out? A sheet of stainless seems like a great solution for not highlighting the fact that the hood is out of level. Plus I think it's a very classic look that would go well with what you've got. And you could save money by not having a backsplash elsewhere in the kitchen, as in Ina Garten's kitchen (or at least, I think it's just paint elsewhere).

For the window by the sink, I'd look into a top down/bottom up shade. That way, you can have the part at eye level blocking the bad view but the top open to let in light. And I agree that both window treatments in a small space should be the same fabric, but they don't have to be the same style (ie, one could be a shade and one could be curtains as long as they're both the same fabric).

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the ideas everyone. Suz, I like the photo you posted and sixtyohno I think has nice green tile backsplash too. I'll have to check out their sources. I'm just not sure if I want to be tied to a colored backsplash. (Can't commit talking). I like the stainless steel backsplash but the one I bought had a stationary shelf which clashed with the pot filler (location), so I went with the pot filler. Actually herringbone tile idea was an early idea that was abandoned for some reason. If I went with herringbone tile, how would you lay it out? Looking for something a little different. Should it include some fancy inserts or be all field tile? The only other backsplash area will be between the countertop and upper cabinets. Pretty much the standard 18" L shape backsplash on the sink and stove walls. My outlets are under the upper cabinets and not in the backsplash area.

Should I keep the 5" stove riser or go back to the island riser?

My knobs/pulls are kind of contemporary. Pic shows them and countertop when unoiled/dry and wet.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

You have a lot going on in that kitchen ... a design behind the range might be overkill.

The easiest way to disguise that uneven hood would be to use a narrow strip mosaic, set vertically like this. Your eye will focus on the verticals and not notice the horizontal as much, because there are no nearby horizontal lines to compare it with.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Your soapstone is gorgeous-here's a pic of a herringbone BS.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Another vote for herringbone! Here is my Rixi Mandorla, which has a slight blue green undertone. I love it! It might have the undertones for your cabs and counters. I think the herringbone adds a touch of elegance, imo.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I would use the island spacer you mention, less interruptions for the eye, if that makes any sense. Here is above my range.

Its not really crooked, just my bad photography!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

LOVE the herringbone pattern for disguise! Sometimes I think it is too busy, but it would totally work in your space and looks great with OOTM MOM's kitchen.

I don't know why you say "oops" about your soapstone, it is stunning, both oiled and unoiled!

You are doing a great job, and I soooo understand the design fatigue. But take your time, the backsplash can wait until you are confident again.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

If it were me, I'd do 6" soapstone bs, with paint on top :-)

• eam44
    9 years ago

I hear the fatigue in your posts. I know you're worn out by this, but you've done a great job so far, honestly.

The only oops in the entire space is the hood install, and while you don't want to hear it, you've got to have it fixed. You're expending valuable energy trying disguise a mistake that is completely fix-able, and of course, now is the time to fix it, before your backsplash goes in. "It is what it is" is exhaustion talking. Rest up then fix the hood. Make sure the whole thing is level, front to back, side to side. Then worry about your backsplash.

I would choose a diamond embossed stainless sheet backsplash behind the range and a ceramic subway tile for the surrounding splash, but that's just me. It's going to be gorgeous when it's finished. Good luck!

• eam44
    9 years ago

If you decide to leave the hood alone, go for a solid sheet of stainless. This is Fireclay tile in Foggy Morning with Black Patine. It's not terribly budget friendly, but if you don't have a lot of wall to tile, it could be lovely.

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I'm fatigued with it all but I have spent a lot of time and money and don't want to mess it up at this stage. Thank you.

It's doubtful I could find another slab of the same soapstone. I didn't think to reserve a leftover piece of soapstone during fabrication.

I'll check out the fireclay tile and the rixi.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Am I mistaken or is it not just the hood that is atilt? (gorgeous hood, BTW!) Either way, I think that a plain SS backsplash is the way to go. It will look great with your hood, and no lines/angles etc to draw attention to unlevel things. There are plain ones that don't have shelves.

• aries61
    9 years ago

Mags438, I saw another post today where you posted a picture of your island back and didn't want to highjack it. Do you have a farther back picture of your island? Like your cabinets.
    Thanks

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Use a simple marble subway tile backsplash. It will go with the kitchen, the home, and what people expect in the space.

It will also be easy to decorate around and simply elegant. Then, instead of being 'so over it' you might find it fun to be in the kitchen again...and enjoy the holidays! {{gwi:2140174}}From Kitchen ideas

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

I am sorry, I just always get a big kick out of these posting where you are so over the project and then you show photos and the kitchen looks Freaking AMAZING!!!

I know you are feeling like you wanna be done..so I don't mean to not be understanding, believe me I want mine done also...I am just hoping the my kitchen turns out 1/2 as horrible as yours!! It really does look amazing!! Subway tile looks great, timeless and classic!! Good luck, it will all work out....need to keep telling myself this also!!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Stainless backsplash (no shelf) and all subway in some form of white. Or all subway, or all subway and in herringbone over the range. I would keep it simple. Simple, never goes out of style, unless it is simple avocado. lol Which really isn't so simple!

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to report months later since first posting this thread that I am still at the same cross roads. However the functionality of this kitchen (my #1 reason for remodel) has been severely tested in daily and holiday living and I and my team hit this one out the park! No I didn't follow all the guidelines since this re-do was often a matter of selecting the lesser of two evils.

@Aries61 - I'll post pics of my island here; kitchen small so pics will have to be taken from an angle

@gabytx12: thank you. Almost 1 yr anniversary with kitchen re-do in process. I'll spend more time than this enjoying it I'm sure.

I need to prolly just get off my butt and find a place to do stainless steel backsplash. I'll want them to make the hole to fit the pot filler and handle the edges by the cab light trim. I guess I want someone to come here and do all this for me. I'm also a little bit concerned to pull out stove myself to change back to island trim...the countertop is tight up to range like it should be, so I don't want to chip the countertop. also I do have pulls and handles in place; the cabs around stove area open in opposite direction so you can't see the knobs. I didn't put knobs above hood since those cabs just hold the exhaust stuff and lighting outlets. They have the magnets that u push to open and close. Maybe for the aesthetics I'll put knobs there...I notice now it's the only cabinet, whether real or faux that does not have knobs/pulls.

I love the herringbone for backsplash and it was original to my design plan. The stone I wound up going with has a much stronger 'personality' than I initially envisioned. No possibility of doing a soapstone backsplash. That door closed when the countertop was templated. Fabricators definitely ask that question and make you initial off your response.

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@aries61. Microwave drawer is at one short end. I don't know how to post multiple photos in one post.

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Working side of island. The left bank of 'drawers' are faux. I have a thing for symmetry. The microwave is at that end.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Mags438, I love the electrical outlets under the counter! I also love your cabinets. What brand are they and what was the paint finish on these gorgeous beaded inset cabinets. Looking forward to your final reveal after you do your backsplash.

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@lynn2006 - thank you. My kitchen is small, with less than optimal width aisles, so the outlet strip does show. I got them from the big box stores. I have my stand mixer in the island cabinet and the cord wasn't long enough to work if I had typical outlet at the short end of island.

My cabinets were made by Sweet Water Wookworks out of Narvon, PA, an Amish family business. They were a highlight of this remodel and an absolute pleasure to work with. I can't express in words how happy I am that we went with them. My stress levels on this project dropped significantly. The color is their dove white or white dove - I can't remember exactly which.

• aries61
    9 years ago

Mags438, thanks for posting the pics. I chuckled when you said " I have a thing for symmetry.". I'm running into that in my design.
    How long is the island? and what are the size of the corbels that were used to support the counter?

I posted a picture of the back of your island just in case anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like.

Thanks

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@aries- I really wanted to go overall simple with island since its a small kitchen. The corbels are 7"x9". KD designed Island cabs to be 63x39" but when we laid it out on floor, we thought it would be too tight an island with chairs so we asked cabinetmaker to reduce the pillar/column or whatever it's called so island cab is 63x27. I do like it better since I did not want our legs closed in when sitting at island and didn't want any obstruction when trying to get out of a chair. I could just imagine us old geisers trying to swivel our way out of the chair with the column in the way (DH says I overthink things - ya think?). The countertop is 65x40.5. I picked up the fluting from the stair banisters.

It'll prolly be a while before I get out of ABB for a reveal, so feel free to ask any questions

• aries61
    9 years ago

Mags438, thanks. How thick are the corbels? I'm doing a 54"x24" peninsula with either a 12" or 15" overhand. Just trying to decide what kind of corbels and still debating how many panels(debating between 2 and 3) on the backside of the peninsula. Can you possible post a picture of the back of the island from further away?

I chuckled again when you said "DH says I overthink things". Most people tell me that to.

Trying to iron out the final details so I can order my darn cabinets. It's been going on for to long.

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aries, my corbels are 3/4" thick. I have a 15" overhang. I'm having problems with my phone taking photos...no more space I think. I'll get that worked out and post a pic when successful.

Meanwhile, I have 3 panels on island and I think I would have liked it better than going with 2 panels for the length of island. I have one panel for dishwasher and I don't like them as wide. I don't know if there was any price difference since cabinetmaker made 3 panels and I never thought to ask differently. Most of my base cabs are drawers so maybe that's why dishwasher panel looks really wide.

This post was edited by Mags438 on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 23:27

• aries61
    9 years ago

Mags438, thanks again for the picture. It's appreciated. It looks nice with the 3 panels, but not sure for mine since it's only 54" wide. You have fluted columns at the end so depending on the size of the columns it might be close to mine.

If you have the time, could you measure and let me know how wide the fluted columns and how wide the individual back panels are? I'm guessing the Stiles between the panels are 1 1/2" wide.

Curious, who is the hood manufacturer and width of hood?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

This post was edited by aries61 on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 12:46

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The panel, bead to bead is just a tad over 16" wide. Yes stiles? (the space in between the beaded panels) is about 1.5". The (fluted) column width is 4" wide.

I only added the fluted columns to island (after working w/ designer) since I had 1 fluted column in a clipped corner. It looked a bit lonely in the kitchen. Three fluted columns looked intentional; one looked like a mistake. Just my non-design opinion. It's kinda like the symmetry thing to me. I have 3 entrances/exits in small kitchen. You see the fluted columns when you enter via 2 of the entrances.

My hood is a 36" by modernaire. Height is about 21". 34" off the countertop. We didn't want hood too high that it became ineffective, but did not want DH to bump his head. I notice Trevor Lawson has been on lately; he handles all Internet sales of the hood. I got the hood and exhaust guts thru him.

• aries61
    9 years ago

Mags438, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

• LSSF
    9 years ago

I wish I had anything good to add. I just wanted to appreciate your original post - I seriously could write that title myself. Sigh. But this was SO helpful as I inch forward, snail-like as I am in making decisions!

• californiagirl
    9 years ago

We can't tell from your photo just how tilted the hood is, but it is a strong design element so it should be levelled.

Otherwise I am struck by how much your kitchen looks like mine, down to the RH pulls. Our top is Vermont Verde Antique, which looks like your soapstone when freshly oiled. After experimenting and ripping out the beginning of the first install (Artic White was too blue), we went went with simple Daltile 100 subways for the splash, including behind the stove. Even the herringbone pattern looked too busy with the beaded inset and patterned tops.

Don't put on too much jewelry. Simple works well.

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Californiagirl. Pretty *pretty* pls share a couple pics of your kitchen!! Did you do a reveal?

• meddam
    9 years ago

Love the flooring! Is it cork & if so, what brand?

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Meddam. Yes they are cork tiles. I got them from durodesign and we had one of their colors darkened 3xs.

• californiagirl
    9 years ago

I think if you put my screen name into the search box it will pull up some photos. I remember the light makes the cabs look more yellow than they really are, but they are not painted bright white. My husband was surprised by how much your photos look like our kitchen. Same main sink faucet, even!

You will laugh at my advocacy of simple jewelry when you see our lighting. Ordered closeout chandeliers and got bad advice on size from the store. I learned to keep it simple from that point on!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

link to californiagirl's beeyoootiful kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: Californiagirl's kitchen

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Mags438, I agree with the poster who would like to be suffering as much as you are in that beautiful kitchen ;) . It is gorgeous.

Honestly, I agree with those who recommend getting the hood leveled. If it's a budget issue and time/energy issue, skip the backsplash and just use a good scrub-able paint until you feel like you can afford and need more.

A stainless backsplash under the hood would look great. I got some stainless priced from an online fabricator - a dishwasher-front-sized piece was $50. Even with the pot filler cutout it should not cost much?

Finally, I feel your pain! We started this major kitchen reno in February and I still don't have cabinet fronts, a hood, fixed drywall, paint, some electrical outlets, or a backsplash :( . I'm sooo over it too. I've had to force myself to move forward on this. My goal is to do SOMETHING on it every day.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022