Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angieszen

Can you put feet on frameless overlay cabinets?

angieszen
13 years ago

My cabinet maker said feet will look weird since there is no frame showing at all. I get his point but thought I would ask the GW experts out there if anyone has successfully put feet on their frameless overlay cabinets.

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

I asked about that as well, and the designer suggested they would put a trim piece under the cabinet which would stick out a lttile bit and make the cabinet look like a piece of furniture, and they would attached the feet to that.

Go to the woodmode website and check out the Nordic Contermporary pics (pics at top - last group on the right).

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Ikea cabinets are frameless, on feet. It's the only way they sell it. Ikea is huge worldwide. As far as I know, all frameless boxes go on feet all the time everywhere. On planet Earth. I wonder if your guy just has no experience with a real install of frameless boxes and has created his own unique mental block. But hey what do I know; I just read this question which I found most unusual, and chose to respond. Someone else might point out a lot more that I never knew. But I do think it's a red herring or a mental block or a moment of confusion. He might change his tune later when he goes looking on the internet and sees what he can see.

hth

• brickton
    13 years ago

davidro1 I think the OP is referring to decorative furniture style feet. Ikea cabinets are frameless overlay cabinets, but the feet there are utilitarian and hidden by the toe-kick.

I would second the suggestion by numbersjunkie of adding a flat piece of trim under the cabinet and then having the feet under that piece of trim.

It also depends on the foot style. If the foot is a bun foot type then I would go with the above. If it is a corner style foot then it might work all by its self.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

ikea also makes beautiful feet designed to be seen. Their name is Capita.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

There's no reason why not. As was suggested, the leg detail could be brought out flush to the doors (or a bit proud of them) by adding a backer/flange at the bottom edge of the box. There would be the need for a continuous toe-kick to deter trash building up under the cabs. Turned legs could also work. A baseboard style trim-out is also doable.
    Casey

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

>the feet there are utilitarian and hidden by the toe-kick.

Only if you want. I've also seen people use decorative furniture style feet instead of the ikea ones. It makes leveling a lot harder (the plastic legs allow individual level adjustments), but functionally, if properly installed so that the weight is distributed correctly, they're the same. And as davidro1 points out, ikea sells several different kinds of modern decorative legs, too.

I've also seen faux feet used effectively with ikea and other frameless cabs: install normally then add ogee type feet in front of dark toekick for a freestanding effect without really having empty space there.

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Yes, I have furniture feet on my frameless cabinet. Here's a photo that shows just one of the feet. I love the way it looks.

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

Our contractor was able to put "feet" on one of our cabinets to be used in the bathroom, so it would look more like a piece of furniture instead of a cabinet. We had our KD order material in the same finish and wood as the cabinets so it looks like the feet were always there.

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i don't know. i was wondering how you'd get your feet up there in the first place! (i swear i must be losing it. i really thought you meant FEET as in, with toes.)

• archnista
    13 years ago

It definitely can be (and is) done...both without a piece of molding under the cabinet and with, just depends on how you perfer it..here's a pic of a frameless full overlay vanity with tulip bun feet...no extra piece of molding, and we kept the toekick standard so you wouldnt have to worry about getting under there to clean......

{{gwi:1480659}}

• angieszen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone - especially Pickle 2 - that is exactly the photo I need to show my cabinet maker! My kitchen cabinets are the same style as yours. THANKS SO MUCH!

• scrappy25
    13 years ago

Archnista, what brand are your cabinets? Sorry for the hijack.