Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Induction teppanyaki Q.

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 11:58

I know that AEG Electrolux has one but the rest are electric, as far as as I know. However, AEG is 36" and I need a 12"-15" unit.

I am sure someone will come up with it sooner or later but is it worth waiting for?

The electric ones use a lot of electricity, probably, but the new models will probably be very expensive at first, so I won;t be saving any $$$.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Induction teppanyaki Q.

Is there any reason to think that using induction to heat the cooking surface will be more efficient than using conventional heaters?

For induction hobs, the US DOE rates induction as more efficient (84% absolute efficiency) than conventional disk elements (74.2% absolute efficiency). Thus, you may expect to use ~12% less electricity with induction.

However, much of this has to do with the fact that induction doesn't waste heat warming anything but your pot, i.e., won't heat the surface of the cooktop or the surrounding air. In the case of a teppanyaki, the whole point is to heat your cooktop (in this case, a literal "cooktop.") You may save a little from not having to heat the thermal mass of the heating elements themselves, but I wouldn't expect big savings here. In short: not worth waiting for induction.

o

An induction teppanyuki would not be using resistance elements to heat the surface.

IIRC, some company in Europe was producing an induction oven. It used a cast iron bottom that was heated with induction.

o

In a hob, the element below the glass surface is producing an electromagnetic field that "works" on your cookware if it close enough.

The entire teppanyaki surface serves as a large "pan" in a way.

It is not heating itself, something is heating it, right?

If it is induction, then again, the elements are producing electromagnetic fields to heat the surface while with regular electric, they are "coils" of a sort, aren't they?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here