Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Should I Match Backsplash Tile to Marble or Cabinet Color?

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

I'm requesting my sample backsplash tiles in a few shades of creamy or off-white and am wondering ultimately if the tiles should match the Danby Marble or the Color of the Upper Cabinets which will be BM Mascarpone AF-20. The colors are a little off here but just to give an idea. (This is a tile sample I had but there are 2 other colors coming that may be better)

Comments (26)

• berardmr
    11 years ago

I can't offer any advice, but I can't wait to see your finished kitchen! It's going to be beautiful. By the way, where did you find your gorgeous tile?

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Gut reaction is white. Otherwise the rhythm is yellow (lowers) white (counter) yellow (tile) white (uppers).

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Can you include the lower cabinet colour as well in your next picture. Thanks. I'd like to get an idea of the saturation of colour that you're dealing with in all the elements.

• starinasgarden
    11 years ago

Could you get the crayons out and see what looks and feels best to you. (The same way you experimented to see what was most appealing to you with the cabinet color.)
    I really like this tile. Looking forward to seeing your kitchen!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Tile is by Wizard Tile-- called Ribbons and Feathers

I don't have crayons in various shades of white : ) lol

I'd like something lighter than the tile pictured but not white white.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Oh, I misunderstood.

From the brochure it doesn't look like they make any white whites anyway--look at the contrast between the bath fixtures and the white tiles in the pictures.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, at the store they did have one white that was too white. I forget the name.
    I'm looking at Pearl which does not have a crackle and Clear/Polar which does have it.

PS- You have the brochure? Are you stalking my tile???? LOL : )

• marcolo
    11 years ago

The brochure is online. Some of them seem to match the Mascarpone well. I think I'd try to do that rather than introduce another color that's not the cabs and not the marble either. But post more pics when you get the samples.

BTW I saw the color consultant on Friday! She was great. She liked some of my picks but suggested other things I hadn't thought of. We have two yellows to choose from--one of them is Barley but that might be too strong for us because we're doing both uppers and lowers in yellow, plus we're not pairing it with white.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo- Yes, I definitely want to match at least the marble OR the cab color.

That's great about the color consultant! I actually called one after you mentioned it but then once I found Barley I decided to go with it and never made an appt with her.

Yes, Barley may be strong for uppers and lowers but then again equest has Vellum which is similar and it looks great. What's your second option?

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Philadelphia Cream, but I believe that would be way too light for your kitchen. It almost seems cream until I put the other colors up against it, then it's definitely yellow. That's the direction we're tilting in right now. At least until tomorrow.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Can you take your tile samples to your piece of slab marble and see what it looks like together? I really like the cabinet colours and the floor and the marble. I like the colour of the tile because it does pick up some of the colours from the marble without being overwhelmed by the yellow.

My concern is the pattern of the tile, combined with the pattern of the marble and combined with the pattern of the floor. The marble and floor are fine. But I'm wondering if the pattern of the tile might be too busy with the size of the pattern found in the marble. But that is hard to tell from the sample of the marble.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I meant to add - if it was me I would prefer to show off the marble and not let it get lost against the tile.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are our marble slabs

(not correct door style-- just color)

Here it is in blue which I think makes it look busier than in the whitish colors:

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gotcha- my 2nd choice would be a mosaic tile similar to one shown here, but I love the ribbons and feathers...

• blfenton
    11 years ago

The pattern on the marble is much bigger than what your sample indicates which is good. It is a nice look - reminds me a bit of an old-world look. But I agree, something a little lighter colour in the tile to carry from the marble up through to the cabinets.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I love the ribbons and feathers and would go light (not the blue version)
    I have BM Mascarpone for our trim - I think it will look great with your yellows!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a2gemini!!!

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago

i would wait to decide until it is all installed (cab's, counters and paint on walls). i was surprised on how different everything looked once installed. it is worth living with a delay in BS to get it right.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got 2 samples today of my Ribbons & Feathers, both of which are better I think than the original sample I had (it had a greenish wash on it although it's difficult to see it)...

When there are 3 samples shown from L to R is Silk (original sample), polar, and pearl. They are up against the Mascarpone cabinets and Imperial Danby.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Maybe it is the photos but the level of definition of the seems to go down L to R. Silk is a lot ore visible than Pearl. I think with such beautiful tile, you will want to show off the pattern.. I vote for silk.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first 2 of the 3 are crackle finish and the pattern is more defined. The 3rd one is not crackle and the woman at the store said she called the company and they put some type of paste finish over the top. However, if the 3rd is the color I like they can put less of the "paste" on it and the design will show better.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Remember that the tiles are not going to be up against the white cabinets. They are going to be set back on the wall. If you go with the tall yellow uppers, I think none of the tile will be next to the white cabinets. If you are going with tall yellows you may want to set the tiles next to the yellow door, not the white. I really think you need to wait before you decide. Once the cabinets, counters and the lighting are in you will probably have an easy decision to make. Right now with nothing in place, you are making an easy decision harder.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, but the tiles will be below the white cabinets. I'm doing the fridge stack white and the ovens/pantry yellow. I'm also really looking at the tile sitting above the marble. I think it should work well with the countertop...

• cawaps
    11 years ago

Although the tile will be below the white cabinets, it won't have the same lighting (being either in the shadow of the cabinets or being lit with UC lighting, which may have a different effect than the overhead lighting). So trying to match the cabinets without having everying in place is probably an exercise in tilting at windmills.

I think all three choices would probably look fine, so you are starting from a good point. The silk matches the counter the best. The pearl is closest to the cabs UNDER THE LIGHTING IN THE PHOTOS. But I don't have a strong preference, and I do think that there's a good chance that lighting would completely change my evaluation.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm going to wait a bit. Just figured I'd post then since I received the today : )

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

I like 'Pearl' best. Of these three tiles it matches your uppers closest. But it is indeed sensible to decide with all elements (cabs, counter, lighting) 'in situ'.