Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzatwork

98% Finished Kitchen (Lots of pictures)

suzatwork
15 years ago

Well, my summer project is pretty much done. I will work later this fall to complete the remodel with a backsplash. My inspiration for backsplash is 'honeydiy' in the FKB. I have yet to get samples to be sure it will go with my granite, but I love the look of hers. Do you think that will work?

Anyway, here's the before picture. The golden oak cabinets were sun-faded and just not my style. I was able to sell them on Craigslist for $2800. Nice money to put back into the project. And no tears shed on that white countertop or white laminate flooring:-)

a href="http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/suzatwork/?action=viewt=oldkitchenweb.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1948780}}
{{gwi:1948781}}

And here's what it looks like now:

a href="http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/suzatwork/?action=view¤t=newkitchenweb.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1948782}}

{{gwi:1946753}}

{{gwi:1948783}}

Breakfast/Coffee bar:

href="http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/suzatwork/?action=view¤t=breakfastbarweb.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1948785}}

My kitchen is not real big, and I have found that the breakfast bar has really helped minimize traffic in the work triangle. My kids find their breakfast cereals and snacks here. I even store bowls and spoons in the above cabinet so it's a one-stop place (except milk, of course!). My favorite feature is the waffle maker, pannini sandwich maker, and coffee pot storage with the hidden side door.

{{gwi:1948788}}

Island - I wanted to build a little seating, which I didn't have before. To accomodate this in my narrow kitchen, I reduced part of the island to 18". I honestly do not miss the 24" depth, since I couldn't see anything in the back of the cabinet before. Everything is easily accessible.

I need to thank all of you for your advice along the way. I have learned SO MUCH from this web forum and became TKO.

Cabinets: Showplace. All cabs are cherry. Perimeter cabs are truffle stain with walnut glaze. Island is in a coffee stain.

Granite: New Ornamentale

Sink: Ticor

Flooring: BR-111 Amendoim

Faucet: Price Pfister

Hardware: from YourHomeSupply.com

What am I missing?

Thanks for looking! We love the results!!

Comments (34)

• josie724
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Suzatwork, your kitchen came out beautiful, enjoy it. It's just ashame that the Dora picture had to go with the remodel. LOL

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I can see why you love the results! You've done a beautiful job and I'll look forward to following your backsplash progress .... Congratulations!

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Gorgeous transformation! I love the darker stain on the island cabs and the way the overhang is shaped, elegant! The varying heights of the uppers add interest, too. Well done!

Enjoy!
    Robin

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I especially love your handles. I got the same ones from the same place, except in weathered nickel.
    Enjoy your new space!
    Barb

• organic_nettie
    15 years ago

looks beautiful

What color are your floors, are they veneer or hardwood?

• tinahollywood
    15 years ago

Just gorgeous! A warm and wonderful kitchen! I just want to hang out in there!

Congratulations!

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Looks great! Love the way you've organized all the breakfast things.

Can't wait to see the backsplash.

• pcjs
    15 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed how much you sold your cabinets for. Your new kitchen is lovely - I love the sink bump out.

How do you like your faucet? - I've been looking at that one for a while and trying to decide if it is worth it or not bother (we have a cute/cheap Ikea).

• mrs_tlc
    15 years ago

Very, very nice.

• amck2
    15 years ago

A great transformation! You must love working in your new space. Congratulations!

• rachelle_g
    15 years ago

Pretty! I really like the granite, and the faucet. Can you tell me what your paint color is? I'm struggling (big time!) to find something I like and that complements our cherry cabinets well. Yours is wonderful with your cabinets.

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

Your new kitchen looks amazing!

I was actually thinking about getting the same faucet, so couple questions about it. How do you like it so far? Does it swivel from side to side so you can use it in both sinks? Are you happy with the pullout spray?

Thanks.

• trudymom
    15 years ago

Really gorgeous kitchen. Love the cabinets and the color of the stain. Thank you for sharing! Congratulations!!

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of your nice complements. A couple of you have asked about my faucet. It's Price Pfister Picardy, and I really like it. The finish stays very clean - does not take on water spots. I stayed up until midnight to 'win' it on ebay for $80. My DH thought I was nuts, but I'm always looking for a good deal:-) The spout swivels, so I can use it in either sink. And the pull-out is nice and smooth. I'm very happy with it!

Rachelle - My paint color is Devine 'oak'. It's a GREAT paint to work with if you've never tried it. Our local paint store carries it, but it's a national brand. (I don't believe any of the big box stores carries that brand.)

Organic Nettie - My floor is 3/4" solid hardwood (it's an exotic hardwood called Amendoim) that has a clear matte varnish on it. The varnish was applied at the factory. From what I've read, Amendoim is a Brazilian Oak. The floor is absolutely beautiful and does a great job of tieing in the various woods throughout my main floor.

Oh, and Josie724 - Dora, believe it or not, survived the remodel:-) She was moved to an adjacent window. What we do for our kids!!

• bdaykitchen
    15 years ago

Very pretty transformation! I love the utility of that end cabinet. The whole kitchen looks like it works great!

ENJOY!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Really beautiful kitchen! I love the transformation. Cabs and granite are so pretty and blend so well with each other. Great idea on the smaller depth for the island cabs. Of course, I love your floor. That was the first choice for my house, but couldn't swing it financially at this time. Congrats on a job very well done!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Suzatwork, Thank you so much for sharing pictures of your finished kitchen that is stunning with your new rich gorgeous Amendoim floors that have such a beautiful grain and color and go so well with most woods, your beautiful cabinets (amazing how much you were able to sell your other cabinets for but that is probably because they were solid oak and not veneer oak like my cabinets that are worn and ready to be replaced?), your beautiful granite counters, your new hanging fixtures above your stunning island, your gorgeous new faucet, and that perfect new wall color. Again thank you so much for sharing. I really love your floors that look great in your kitchen.

• razenette
    15 years ago

ENJOY your Beautiful Kitchen!! Lovely!! razenette

• positano
    15 years ago

How big is your island? I think mine will be similar in size. Do you have 2 or 3 stools?

Everything looks great! Congrats

• spendogirl
    15 years ago

Wow...beautiful transformation.. I love the rich warm colours... Enjoy it!!

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Positano - My island granite 60x32 (at the widest part). I have room for 2 stools where the island cab is 18" deep (about 39" long). The part of the island closest to the range is a 24" deep (18" wide) trash pull-out. This might make sense if you look at the front view of the cabinets. HTH!

My old island was 48x24 without seating, so this is a big gain of surface area for me:-)

• honeydiy
    15 years ago

Wow, suzatwork, I love your cabinets. Especially the double raised panels on the uppers. Everything looks beautiful together. I am only just getting back onto the internet after a couple of months. I left a link on the gallery page for the store where our tiles came from, then I switched over here and found your photos! I'm so glad I didn't miss them!

Congratulations!

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

honeydiy - I wasn't able to find your link for the tile store. Can you share that info here? I have family coming for Thanksgiving, so the backsplash race is on:-)
    Thanks!!

(I have since seen your post of your paint color. I would never have thought that was in the beige family. Even though I've painted, I'm still going to grab a sample and check it out closer. My DH thinks our color might be too yellow.)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Suzatwork, I am still trying to decide between BR-111 Triangulo Engineered Hardwood Floors either in the Amendoim, Brazilian Cherry or the Santos Mahogany. I have decided on Porcelain tile that looks like stone for my two foyer areas in my townhouse but I want hardwood floors in my other rooms (living room, dining room and family room). Seeing your finished room makes me fall in love with the Amendoim hardwood floors again.

I am wondering is a local store will have bigger samples for me then the ones I purchased on-line. I purchased way too many samples and sometimes many of the same species to give me a better idea of what I want and I keep going back to these three hardwoods.

Do you see reddish brown colors in person on your hardwood floors like I do on my monitor and love? I love the unique various grains and the exotic look, as well as the fact that Amendoim is a hardwood that does not change color as dramatic as Brazilian Cherry.

Why did you choose your beautiful floor over the other two exotic species I chose? It was a great choice for your kitchen and I thank you again for sharing the pictures with all of us of your finished beautiful kitchen.

I have wheat-back chairs that look like your beautiful chairs in your dining room that I love. I bought my set about 10.75 years ago.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Suzatwork, you've just given me my first "oh, I really wish I'd done that!" of my project. My cabs are in boxes and ready to be installed in a week or two, but I really really wish I'd gone with 18" on my island instead of standard depth cabs! I really could have used the extra 6" in my walkways.

Like you I'm going from a 48x24 island with no seating - is your new island just dreamy? My new one will be 67 x 36 (at the widest point) so I'm hoping to seat 3 with little difficulty at least while the kids are still little.

nice reno!

Anita

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lynn2006 - I think you should just do it:-) Get the Amendoim! I didn't even consider the other species. I saw the Amendoim in a sample kitchen of a showroom and fell in love with it right away. And then in my research I found that it was more colorfast and slightly harder. The showroom I went through had a larger sample for me to take home - it was about 2 feet by 3 feet. That was very helpful. I would say it does have red tints in some of the boards, but really has a variety of hues. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Go for it!!

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anita - How exciting that you are so close to having installed cabinets! It will be so nice. Good luck - the light is at the end of the tunnel???

I do love my new island. My kids and DH are just now getting used to having that seating available and are visiting with me while I'm cooking. Sometimes my son does his homework there. It allows us to hang-out in my small kitchen moreso than we did before. I love the company:-) You will love that additional seating!!

It's funny that you mentioned the the 18" deep cabinets. I agonized over that island during the design and how to gain seating in the kitchen and maximize space. I went back and forth between the island and converting the kitchen to a u-shape with peninsula. Space was so tight, and I ended up losing storage with the peninsula. Well, I woke up one night with an 'a-ha' moment and the 18" depth was added to the plans. I no longer lose baking pans and other stuff in the back of that deeper cabinet. I open the doors and can see everything. 9x13 pans fit perfectly the long way. It's been great so far.

Well, I'm in backsplash mode now. I'm hoping the backsplash I chose will add a little zip to the overall look. Not sure what I'm in for. I need vision!!!

Suzanne

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Suzanne, I am just looking again at your floors and they are really beautiful and exotic looking. I love BR-111 Amendoim's variety of hues and grains.

I agree that a beautiful back-splash will add a little zip to the overall very pretty look you now have. I am just not sure what the back-splash should look like. Maybe others have ideas.

• spendogirl
    15 years ago

Wow...beautiful transformation... love the warm rich colours!!

• gigib_08
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!! I love everything you've done! Love the cafe' signs, too! I can't wait to see what you do with the backsplash!

• kmgard
    15 years ago

What a beautiful space! I'm envious of your high ceilings. I'm thinking of doing 36" wall cabinets with my 8' ceilings, but that will require quite a bit of crown molding to go all the way (6") to the ceiling. For your crown, is that a couple types that are "stacked" to get that high look? It's gorgeous!

• suzatwork
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kmgard - My ceilings are 9'. The uppers are staggered 42" and 48" cabinets. The 48" cabs have about 5 inches of stacked molding to reach the ceiling, including a straight 1x3 and a large crown molding that is secured to its top edge. The rope molding is attached to the lower edge of the 1x3. The 42" cabs have just the crown molding piece. Here's a closer picture:

• tinahollywood
    15 years ago

Wonderful kitchen! I LOVE your counter stools! They are darling! Congratulations! Do a little dance!

• starpooh
    15 years ago

hi suzatwork ~
    Are you ready to have your kitchen archived in the FKB? We can always update it after your backsplash is done. :-)
    If so please submit the Category Checklist to give your permission.
    Thank you!