Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Layout Input Please

Posted by spagano (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 11:45

Hi All. We are in the beginning stages of redoing our kitchen. We recently purchased a house and while the current kitchen is OK it shows a lot of wear (appliances are in bad shape, some cabinets are hanging a bit lower than others, formica is peeling, drawers are separating). The current kitchen is only about 10 years old but did handle a family with 4 home schooled kids so received a LOT of use. We are planning on updating the appliances and switching from a range to a 36" cook top and double oven so we thought it would be wise to redo it all at once instead of in stages. Here is my favorite layout so far and I'm very happy with it. But... I know additional eyes can catch things that I may have missed. Any input is appreciated. Haven't decided on colors yet but will probably go with Shiloh. Thanks so much!

Oh-right side opening is to laundry/half bath hallway and side entrance. Lower right is to "formal" living room (will be a quite sitting room for us). Lower left opening is to what is a formal dining room but will be a play & craft area and the other opening on the left is to the family room

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Layout Input Please

Here is another view...

o

Looks like a good layout, but if it were mine I would have all the base cabinets drawers also would I eleminate the desk and have that space a pullout pantry.

o

What are you dimensions, for the room? Have you considered making a larger opening between the table and family room? Or would you prefer to keep the spaces separate? Maybe French doors?

o

Where's primary prep?

In general, the most convenient place for primary prep is the counter between the sink and the cooktop/range. Since that space is too small in your plan, I'm guessing that primary prep would be the island, which could work of course, but I think it would be best if you could increase the length of the run between the sink and to at least 42". Could you move or increase the width of the window above the sink to accomodate shifting the sink left a foot or so?

o

What is your current layout? What do you like most/least about it?

Do you have a desk area now? Do you use it? I agree with ice - to me having a desk chair backing up to island seating is crowded and redundant. I incorporated all the functions of my desk into a wall of cabinets in my new kitchen (complete with file drawers, charging station, and drawers for pens, phone books, checkbook, etc).

How deep are the pantry cabinets?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here