Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_thornley

Spruced up old kitchen

Marcia Thornley
11 years ago

Since a total reno was out of the question at this time, my husband used what we had, added trim and beadboard to the cabinets and lots of paint to spruce up this 75 year old kitchen! New hinges, hardware and lots of late nights sanding, scraping, and cursing new items that just don't fit an old house and I now have a clean and cute kitchen I love!

Some day it will get gutted but this buys us a lot of time to save for it!

Comments (16)

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Nice job. I really like the chrome detail below the sink, very creative! I also like the scrolly decorative corbels and the exposed hinges look great!

• kitchenaddict
    11 years ago

hi mush...

That IS cute!! I love the beadboard that you say you added..I didn't know you COULD add beadboard to cabinets.. I am impressed with your DIY skills...More pictures??? Please?

KA:)

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Super Cute! Congratulations on the DIY, I have no talent in that regard. Please show us more......

• rosie
    11 years ago

Terrific! All that scraping and sanding have given your kitchen that special quality the new ones posted here shine with--that someone cares enough about it to make it nice.

The well cared for style. Your kitchen is a great illustration of the fact that it's a much more important factor than any amount of granite. :)

• Yvonne B
    11 years ago

Very nice! I like the scroll-work above the sink. I'd love to see more pictures too and Rosie's right - it does look well cared for, which makes it so appealing.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

I really, really love your kitchen. I like the look of granite, a lot ... but I don't think a kitchen will ever give me the warm fuzzies of Home-ness if it doesn't have a linoleum counter. As far as I'm concerned, yours will always be the gold standard everyone else is just chasing after... :)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Really nice!
    So homey.
    It's another kitchen where you have to wear a full skirt, heels & lipstick!

• sis2two
    11 years ago

I love what you've done with your kitchen! I love a cozy, warm kitchen and you sure have one. Great job!

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

More pictures!

My BIL did not like it when I called his apartment "charming;" I think he would have preferred "majestic" or something. But so far, your kitchen looks charming and adorable and I hope you post more pictures and don't get offended by "charming!"

bean

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Charming indeed! I've always loved those little rounded shelves next to the sink. Your lovely kitchen proves that you don't have to have whatever happens to be the latest style to have a room that's really pretty and nice to be in. Great job!

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

Well done! What a happy space to work in.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Great job - you won't want to do the reno for many years!

• kathleencam
    11 years ago

Those linoleum counters are in good shape. By the time you are ready to gut the kitchen, you may find that original linoleum counters are worth more than granite. Maybe you will decide to keep the original cabinets as well!

BTW, the corbels add character and make it cheerful.

• Maine_Mare
    11 years ago

Nicely done! Nothing like a well applied coat of paint to make a room feel entirely new again.

All the hard work was worth it.

• Marcia Thornley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your nice comments. I am so happy with it! My DH worked so hard on it to make me happy. I still have some things to do. Hanging a shelf unit and DH wants to put some trim around the base of the cabinets. I'll try to get some more pictures, but the room is small and it's difficult to photograph!

• Marcia Thornley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another pic
    The walls are BM Shaker Beige
    The trim and cabinets are BM Mayonnaise
    DH just hung up the shelf unit for me. I forgot to take the blue tape off! Still have stuff to put on it.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm