Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spruced up old kitchen

Posted by mush (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 11:38

Since a total reno was out of the question at this time, my husband used what we had, added trim and beadboard to the cabinets and lots of paint to spruce up this 75 year old kitchen! New hinges, hardware and lots of late nights sanding, scraping, and cursing new items that just don't fit an old house and I now have a clean and cute kitchen I love!
Some day it will get gutted but this buys us a lot of time to save for it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spruced up old kitchen

Nice job. I really like the chrome detail below the sink, very creative! I also like the scrolly decorative corbels and the exposed hinges look great!

o

hi mush...

That IS cute!! I love the beadboard that you say you added..I didn't know you COULD add beadboard to cabinets.. I am impressed with your DIY skills...More pictures??? Please?

KA:)

o

Super Cute! Congratulations on the DIY, I have no talent in that regard. Please show us more......

o

Terrific! All that scraping and sanding have given your kitchen that special quality the new ones posted here shine with--that someone cares enough about it to make it nice.

The well cared for style. Your kitchen is a great illustration of the fact that it's a much more important factor than any amount of granite. :)

o

Very nice! I like the scroll-work above the sink. I'd love to see more pictures too and Rosie's right - it does look well cared for, which makes it so appealing.

o

I really, really love your kitchen. I like the look of granite, a lot ... but I don't think a kitchen will ever give me the warm fuzzies of Home-ness if it doesn't have a linoleum counter. As far as I'm concerned, yours will always be the gold standard everyone else is just chasing after... :)

o

Really nice!
So homey.
It's another kitchen where you have to wear a full skirt, heels & lipstick!

o

I love what you've done with your kitchen! I love a cozy, warm kitchen and you sure have one. Great job!

o

More pictures!

My BIL did not like it when I called his apartment "charming;" I think he would have preferred "majestic" or something. But so far, your kitchen looks charming and adorable and I hope you post more pictures and don't get offended by "charming!"

bean

o

Charming indeed! I've always loved those little rounded shelves next to the sink. Your lovely kitchen proves that you don't have to have whatever happens to be the latest style to have a room that's really pretty and nice to be in. Great job!

o

Well done! What a happy space to work in.

o

Great job - you won't want to do the reno for many years!

o

Those linoleum counters are in good shape. By the time you are ready to gut the kitchen, you may find that original linoleum counters are worth more than granite. Maybe you will decide to keep the original cabinets as well!

BTW, the corbels add character and make it cheerful.

o

Nicely done! Nothing like a well applied coat of paint to make a room feel entirely new again.

All the hard work was worth it.

o

Thank you all for your nice comments. I am so happy with it! My DH worked so hard on it to make me happy. I still have some things to do. Hanging a shelf unit and DH wants to put some trim around the base of the cabinets. I'll try to get some more pictures, but the room is small and it's difficult to photograph!

o

Here's another pic
The walls are BM Shaker Beige
The trim and cabinets are BM Mayonnaise
DH just hung up the shelf unit for me. I forgot to take the blue tape off! Still have stuff to put on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here