Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quartz countertop to go w/Armstrong VCT floor "Sterling" gray

Posted by alygal (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 11:37

It's time to replace our kitchen flooring and counter-tops.
The 1950 house is a cottage/ranch style with elements harking back to pre-WWII. Has a cottage in the woods kind of charm.

The kitchen is a small L-shape galley style with a tiny nook.
Floor is pretty narrow - as in cannot open fridge door and dishwasher door at the same time. Walls and cabinets are white. Appliances are stainless steel.

Because we are hard on things and have two big German Shepherds gal-lumping around I have chosen Armstrong's Excelon Standard Imperial VCT in "Sterling" (soft gray). It's from Armstrong's commercial line of VCT and has a kind of retro look to go with the general tone of the house.

I would like to use quartz counters - can anyone suggest a color of quartz out there that would go nicely with a neutral gray floor? Since there is so much white in the kitchen was thinking of going with a gray or black color for counter-top.

Thanks for any interest/assistance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Armstrong VCT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quartz countertop to go w/Armstrong VCT floor "Sterling" gray

There are so many choices! Any chance you can post a picture of your cabinets?

o

Or you could go with something that has gray veining i.e. Torquay by Cambria.

o

Torquay would look great - also look at Ceasarstone Frosty Carrina, and Newport (don't remember which of the two brands that it, but I think it might be Cambria).

o

VCT has been around for many decades and can require some type of floor finish to look good.

My vet installed this product in her offices years ago, and it still looks great. Looks like terrazzo when down. Armstrong Safety Zone 12"x12" tile. Has the smallest texture on it to make big dogs feel safe, Looks good with just a wash and even better with a buff.

I've listed two colors that would work for you and your previous VCT selection.

o

Yes, Newport is from Cambria. (was considering this at one time)

o

Thank you for the suggestions.

Went to the Ceasarstone site and quite liked the "Pebble."
Also liked the Cambria Torquay but it's too much white. I'd like a definite grayish tone - would love soapstone but it's too soft.

The cabinets are pretty simple but will be getting new shaker style doors in the next year. Trying to keep it all simple, clean lines, and classic.

Thanks for the floor suggestions beverly27. I've had Armstrong before and am used to the finish care. It's pretty indestructible stuff and will last years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here