Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

What to do about uneven ceiling and stainless chimney hood?

Kristen Hallock
10 years ago

We have a 42" Bluestar pyramid hood with a chimney. We've already installed the pyramid part, but we still need to put the chimney part on top of it so that it goes to the ceiling. Our ceilings are only 8' tall. The chimney part will only end up being about 13" (we need to bring it to a metal cutter to have them cut it from 15") since we mounted the hood about 32" from the top of the stove..

In anycase, something is not exactly level. I think its off by .5" at the most. DH wants to put a quarter round maple molding(to match cabinets) at the top of the chimney hood to cover the gap. I really do not want to do that. What do people normally do here? is there a stainless molding? or is there an obvious fix I am not seeing?

Comments (16)

• springroz
    10 years ago

We had to have ours cut down, too. Luckily, our ceiling was fairly level. I think I would carefully measure and have it cut to fit.

My option was to try to match my cabinet moulding, but my cabinet company has gone out of business, so I would probably never get it to match!

Mine is just sitting on the pyramid, since there is no way to fasten it from underneath.

Nancy

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

khallock, this may be the time to turn to a metal shop in your area that is engaged with the hvac community. Your situation is not that uncommon, i.e., ceilings, walls not level.

In your shoes, I would ask my hvac subcontractor to get his sheet metal go to person on board: hvac people use them regularly and know whose good. If necessary, they often make house calls where both work together to figure out a metal solution.

As springroz said, correct measurement, adjustment and cutting of your chimney hood may be the solution. Otherwise a second metal piece may be custom made to accommodate the out of plumb walls/ceiling.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. This is a DIY remodel and my husband did all of the vent work. He does know someone who cuts sheetmetal and I have googled a couple of places so I guess we will start there.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

sorry, khallock, i forgot this was DIY. Even more respect to you both for handling such intricacies. And I know you both will...

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Are you venting out the ceiling or the wall?

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

You can have a SS piece made that acts like a mini baseboard--it covers the unevenness but not at the floor, at the ceiling. You would have it mounted to the SS vent cover at the ceiling. Or you can have a piece of 1/2" round in wood doing the same thing and paint it the color of your ceiling so that it covers the uneven gap. Either material is just like a baseboard...ideally it covers up any slight gaps or uneveness. If you have ceiling crown molding, you can wrap that around the vent too.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

debrak2008 - we are venting out of the wall. so right behind the hood. Its already up and working, we just need to attach that chimney part to hide the pipe that goes out the wall.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

If the difference is just .5 inches, do you think it will be noticeable? Can you get the ceiling leveled with additional mud or plaster? what backsplash are you planning? If that goes all the way to the ceiling, it will hide a lot of imperfections.

Btw, what is the distance from your cooktop to bottom of your hood?

Lalitha

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. I will talk about those options with my husband.

I am doing a tile backsplash. But I had only planned on going to the bottom of the hood with the tile.

GWlolo - we did 32" between the top of the range to the bottom of the hood. I am 5'2" and my husband is 6' tall. This seemed like an OK compromise.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

As was said above. If it is a small amount I doubt anyone would notice. Ours is out the wall as yours is. Our chimney part does not actually touch the ceiling. Our ceiling is not level either. Since ours doesn't touch you can't tell that one side is slightly different than the other.

edited for spelling

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 16:05

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

After seeing the picture, I'd just template the SS to match the unevenness. Like everyone said, it will most likely not even be noticed.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any ideas on how you would template it to match the unevenness? I'm not sure how to go about this.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

texaswildflower, this post is 3 1/2 years old. If there's a question or something you're not sure about, the best thing would be for you to start a new thread. :)

• bemocked
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Find a minimalist/clean molding shape to cover the gap, and paint it with "stainless steel" paint to blend in with the vent cover?

• Cassandra Hamfeldt-Flunker
    2 years ago

I have this same issue. i am going to use this self sticking pvc stainless steel color finished trim to mitigate the gap. here is the Home Depot link, but I also found the exact same product on Amazon for the same price. pack of 3 - 24” pieces for $19.99:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Aspect-Stainless-24-in-Vinyl-Backsplash-Trim-3-Pack-935-50/313854875#overlay