Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_2006

still need help with backsplash-granite or tile?

anna_2006
15 years ago

We stopped with the backsplash for a while, but now we are at the point of just wanting it finished.

We found out that some fabricator still has the same lot of granite slabs that are on our counter. So, I need your help. Do we go with a full granite backsplash or tiles (what kind?)?

I am including photos, but I have to remind you that the island is dark with antique brown granite, whereas the backsplash will go against the creamier cabs. The first shows the granite and some goldish tiles against the backsplash (which we want to finish in either full height granite or tile). The second and third pix show the backsplash area to be covered. The fourth pix shows the other side facing the light cabs, I have a dark hutch (as shown) and dark pantry which are the same colour as the island. Finally, I have attached a photo of the granite slab. Can anyone photoshop this onto the backsplash wall?

It is so hard to find a tile because the polished look of the granite makes every tile fade in comparison, whereas the full granite on the splash seems to look good, but it is soooo "alive"/busy? that I am slightly worried about using it. So, what do you think?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1541432}}

Comments (17)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

If your cabinets were dark, I'd say go with the tile. But since you have those nice light cabinets and really pretty granite, I'd use the granite for the backsplash!! It would be very dramatic!

• anna_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

By the way, the light fixture is not a certainty either - DH loves it, whereas I like the fixture itself, but think it might be too heavy looking. This is a work-in-progress too.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Well...now that you mention it.....I am not really wild about the light fixture. I think it's too heavy for a kitchen. Foyer maybe....but not the kitchen. That's just my opinion though.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I think the granite is a bit "modern" for your kitchen. I would use a tile, but I would look at ceramic. I would have to see the light fixture in person, but I kind of think it works. I has a little of the Clive Christian look.

Sorry I am not more helpful.

I really like your kitchen, though. Are there more pictures anywhere?

• catherinep
    15 years ago

I vote for the tiles versus the granite backsplash. I like their lighter color and less-busy pattern. Although the granite is beautiful on your counters, I think it might feel as though the granite was slowly creeping the walls to completely envelope the kitchen.

• rockrisley
    15 years ago

I prefer the tile although I might consider adding some accent tiles that pick up some of the granite color. I have a similar color granite. Also, if the tile can be sealed with an "enhancer" sealer it will darken the tile a bit. You can try an enhancer on a few tiles to see how it looks. Your kitchen is beautiful. Look forward to seeing the final results.

• gshop
    15 years ago

We have a similar granite (Golden Beach) to yours, but different colored cabinets. We went with the tile and are extremely happy. Good Luck!

• juliet3
    15 years ago

I vote for a combo - the granite backsplash just behind the range, and tile everywhere else. The advantage to the granite slab behind the range is that you won't have grout staining to worry about when things splatter (like spaghetti sauce). The granite would be too much to use everywhere, and the tile backsplash will balance the countertop nicely, and bring it together with your cabinetry.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Hi Anna, I remember you from a few months back. Your kitchen looks great! I think you should go with the tiles. I definitely think the full granite backsplash would look too busy, and perhaps too modern as the overall feel of your kitchen is quite traditional. I like the feel of the chandelier and the colours, as they go well with your island faucet, but it is too big and heavy. Everything about it looks good except for the metal which is too thick. Perhaps try to find a similar style in a less thick/chunky look.

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

I prefer the tile as well. Or maybe like juliet3 said, a combination of the two. If you take a picture of your backsplash area, straight on with nothing on the counters preferrably, then I could photoshop it for you. Also maybe a better straight on picture of the tiles in good lighting as well (or one copied from the internet). It's difficult to do a mockup at an angle like that.

I think the light fixture is too heavy, too. Either a smaller one or one's that not so dark would be better IMO.

Robin

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I vote for tile as well. I think ngng's backsplash is stunning and would recommend something similar with accents that pick up the color of your granite.

I tried to Paint your backsplash but couldn't do it because it wasn't a straight-on photo.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Didn't your inspiration kitchen, or a display you saw that served as your inspiration, have a full granite backsplash? Something in my memory says that's what you'd always planned...or maybe I just imagined your kitchen that way for some reason? If that was your original plan and intent, I see no reason to change. I think it's just personal preference, and although it's not usually my choice, I think the full granite backsplash would be stunning. The cabinets are strong, with a simple elegance...The perfect accompaniment to the fancier and shiny stone. I see the tile as a more 'normal' approach that will detract from the boldness of the granite. In this case, I see less (in number of materials and focal points) as more.

I think the general idea of the light fixture works. I think the basic style/shape and overall size of it are OK, but I'm just not sure about the exact fixture. Maybe the color? Maybe the hanging crystals are too much? Maybe just simpler. The center part of it seems to have so much crowded together and so much 'going on.'

Anyway, so happy to see your kitchen coming together! The cabinets are beautiful.

• chris_in_15
    15 years ago

I would do the granite behind the stove and the tile for the rest. A friend of mine has a kitchen similar to yours, and chose this combo. It looks great.

• organic_nettie
    15 years ago

Anna

please let me know the name of your granite asap. Love it. very pretty. I go for tile or tumbled stone for the back slash. Aslo, what kind of floors do you have?

• maryelizabeth78
    15 years ago

I would go with tile, just to add a different element to the space. Have you considered 3x6 tumbled stone? I think it might look nice!

I also love your granite and want to know the name of it!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Totally different looks with the tile vs the granite. Both are nice, but my gut reaction is that the granite would be va va va voom, vs nice. Depends what you want. Don't understand how granite becomes too modern, can't get much more traditional than stone.

I think this is one of the perfect instances of where granite makes a visual impact without overwhelming. It's light enough in colour, your BS area is relatively small, and your kitchen/eating area is quite large.

P.S. I like the chandelier too (though maybe try taking off the crystals to see if you prefer it without jewellery).

• sailormann
    15 years ago

IMHO the full slab of granite is much more luxurious looking than the tile. Reminds me of beautiful old places in Venice.

I like your light fixture a lot - think it works well in your room - particularly like the colour of the little jewels.