Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What have I done to my granite?!?!

Posted by buildinva (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 11:32

Help!!! I noticed a few oil marks on my granite and wanted to get them off before I do the Bulletproof sealer. I googled and read about doing a baking soda / water potice overnight, so I did that. Then I rinsed the baking soda away and waited for the water mark to evaporate. Now the spots feel scratchy!!! I have rinsed several times and wiped it clean and they still feel this way. Not all the granite, just the spots where I used the baking soda! Yikes!!! What have I done? How can I fix it? Ugh, I'm so upset.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What have I done to my granite?!?!

Your granite can probably be easily buffed back by a professional. The problem for a DIY'er is the cost of the machine and the cost of the polish and/or diamond pads. Then there's knowing just what to do to.

o

Buildinva

I managed to take the finish off my bathroom countertop and it feels the same (who knew that rust remover could be so harsh...duh!). It is a nice countertop (silestone) and that patch is now covered with a conch shell...lol. Not the best solution but it works for now! Easier to do in a bathroom than in a kitchen though! Hope you manage to get it fixed :)

o

That is scary that baking soda would do that. I thought baking soda was a gentle cleaner.

o

True, I never would have thought that baking soda could harm anything!

o

Are you sure you've made scratches IN the granite, or might you have a residue ON TOP after using the baking soda? We have a low grade granite in a powder room. A few months after it was installed I noticed that the sheen had dulled in spots near the faucet handles. I tried a few different cleaners but nothing brought back the shine. Then I saw someone post (here I think) that it's impossible to remove the finish from granite, so I took a closer look. It was just hard water deposits. I grabbed a razor blade and spent two minutes scraping and -voila!- good as new.

o

I too use a razor blade to get off mineral deposits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here