Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jess1979_gw17

which counter top do you like

jess1979
9 years ago

Can you please help me pick a counter top. The cabinets are rustic hickory natural all wood fronts and the floors are dark. I do not have a picture of either and the cabinets have not been delivered yet. I have the back splash tile and posted the picture of it. I need to pick the counter before getting the cabinets because of time problems. I planned on Absolute Black granite so that it would not be too busy in there but now I am not sure. I would like a rustic feel to the kitchen. I have a few other granites that I like but I don't know if they work with the cabinets and backsplash. Can you please let me know what you like or would recommend. I also like yellow river granite but do not have a picture of it.

Comments (31)

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

back splash up close

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

granite #1

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

granite #2

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

granite #3

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

granite #4 Absolute Black hard to get a picture of this is from the sample. I also like Yellow River but do not have a picture. If you have any suggestions for a counter top please give them to me. Thank you.

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

granite #5. This is not the cabinet door we are getting but close in color.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

All I can suggest is definitely NOT black! You will be cleaning yourself into an early grave! I have one small furniture piece with black granite and it shows every single speck of anything!

This post was edited by arkansas_girl on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 19:00

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I like the third granite. I like that it's navy -- that is basically a neutral, but I've never seen stone that color before. Interesting! I also like how non-speckly it is -- also interesting.

My only concern is that big yellow splotch at the top. Do you need to use the whole slab? I feel like if you cut it into pieces and spread them around the room, the piece with the yellow really might look like a completely different stone from the rest.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I personally like number 5 best and feel like the back splash might look good with it. I also like number 1, but am not sure of how I feel about it with the back splash.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Well with hickory cabs, you have a lot of movement. The backsplash has a bit of movement as well. I would go very calm with the counter surface.
    I agree on the black. Unless you have an awesome air cleaner system, you'll see every speck of dust, lint and fluff every time you walk by.

• julie1973
    9 years ago

I like 1 or 5 with a slight preference for 1, but I'd like to see the backsplash next to 1. I think the light colors in 1 will look nice with the light backsplash.

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Terri said it well... there's a lot going on with Hickory and the backsplash (remember when the grout is in it can take on a more more "busy" look with the defined grid pattern- especially with the smaller mosaic).

Love the counters you showed - they would be centerpiece - imho everything else should support that.

A kitchen should be kind of like a choral ensemble with harmonies coming from all areas... a loud soprano and loud baritone can throw off the balance :)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Have you committed (purchased) to the backsplash?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

How about a counter material like Cambria Quartz in Devon:

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

I too vote for either a calmer back splash or a calmer counter top.

Carol

• User
    9 years ago

Granite Number 5 yeah!
    Definately!
    It will really make the kitchen!
    You have dark cabinets going in, dark floors, ok dull blacksplash,
    and then the counters are going to be fantastic!

• lam702
    9 years ago

I absolutely love hickory, such a beautiful wood but it does have a lot of movement. Which is great, but some of those granites are also beautiful, but busy. The combination might be a bit too much. If it were me, choose a simpler, calmer pattern for the countertop. As for the backsplash, small tiles are also kind of busy looking, I fear all 3 together might be screaming a bit too loud. Most people choose the backsplash last, its just easier to envision it when you see the cabinets and countertops together.

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your help. I know I did this backwards and got the backsplash first, unfortunately it could not be avoided doing it that way. I was worried about the kitchen being busy, so that is why I thought black for the counters. But then I saw these granites and thought they would be better. So now I will look at quartz. I will look at the Cambria quartz in Devon with the backsplash. Does anyone have an opinion on how the Absolute Black granite honed would look with the backsplash. Does anyone have any other suggestions for the countertop? I appreciate everyones help and thank you for your help. This is so hard to pick.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Someone just posted their finished hickory kitchen with black counter. Can't remember her name. It was a large U shaped kitchen with a huge island, open to the LR where they were using the same granite on the fireplace. Anyone?

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

jess-we have absolute black leathered and it is very easy to upkeep. I like the no shine and it feels/looks kind of soft - not harsh at all. It does have some texture but I haven't had any issues with it (it's not rough - the texture is very subtle). I have also had uba tuba polished in a previous kitchen and it didn't give me any trouble either, didn't feel it was a cleaning nightmare or anything. That said I do like the leathered better.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

#1 and the backsplash is perfect! the backsplash will not be too busy if you use a similar grout color. DO not use quartz...these granites are all soooo much more beautiful.

• rightdi_gw
    9 years ago

Love #1 or # 5. What is the name of 5? Gorgeous!!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here is the hickory kitchen may_flowers was referring to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Countertops are in

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here is the post regarding thpeppermntleaf's countertop choices with her hickory cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Which countertop?

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the help. I have read over the older threads and it has given me a lot to think about. These were helpful and thank you for posting them. I really liked the trash bags on the counter idea to see how it would look. Can anyone explain to me the difference in honed or leather Absolute Black? The leather Absolute Black would give it the rustic look we want. rgps can you tell me which quartz that is. Soapstone would be my number one choice but it really is not an option. Soapstone looking quartz could look very nice. RightDi I don't know the name of the granite slab, but I can find out tomorrow to let you know.
    Thank you for your help.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Honed Jet mist aka Virginia Mist granite looks similar to soapstone.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

I think honed is still smooth. I am not positive on what all the difference is. Leathered does have a texture. Here are a couple of mine so maybe you can see.

Close up - the flash made it look like it has some brown in it but it does not:

Further away but you can still see the texture:

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the pictures. They really help.

romy718 I am going out today to look for the counter material. I will look at the honed Jet Mist aka Virginia Mist. It looks like it will give me the dark color but not too much going on. The colors would go well with my backsplash. Thank you.

Autum.4 Thank you for the pictures. Nice counters the leathered or honed have been one of our ideas, it would look nice with the hickory cabinets that are going in. I had only seen a very small sample before, so your pictures help. Thank you.

• threegraces
    9 years ago

I love #1 but NOT for your kitchen.

We have opalescence on the perimeter, polished (I wanted honed but DH didn't) and it's not that big of a deal to keep clean. Honed or leathered will be great with what you are trying to achieve. Our island is honed and I just love the way it feels on my hand. Maybe I'll take a sander to our perimeter when DH is gone (kidding!)

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RightDi I found out the granite in #5 is called Persian Treasure. I hope this helps.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths